Author Topic: Parasound JC1  (Read 15686 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Parasound JC1
« on: September 12, 2007, 12:47:31 PM »
I stopped in the local HT dealer today for a quick listen to these. They are well broken in, having been there for a few years. They power Canton's biggest Karat speakers, I forget which model. MTM with 6" mids and side firing 12" woofer. Their website says efficiency of about 89dB. Source was stock Denon 5900, digital out to Parasound C2 controller. Speaker cables were biwire "silver helix" something, didn't catch the brand. Same for ICs.

The theater setup of the room had the center chair off center to the right by 18 inches. I tried sitting on the arm of the chair to be centered, but soundstage was tilted to the left. So I sat down in the off center seat and everything popped into place.  :shock:  Hmm, how do you pull off that trick - and what's it doing to the rest of the sound? Thereafter I ignored whatever imaging there was. I was more concerned with the tonality and feeling of ease and power that set this amp's reputation.

I couldn't judge the tone through these speakers and cables. I assume the Denon and C2 preamp are relatively transparent, but the end result was bright on top and a little muddy in the bottom. Body and thickness of midrange tones was very good. Midrange instruments sounded realistic. Treble being hot was a good sign for me, most ss amps I seem to have them rolled off a little. It will be interesting to hear the amps high freq performance through tweeters I am familiar with.

Power is what I wanted to hear, and it was obvious even through this weird German version of high end speakers. The reviews describe the amp as playing anything with ease, never sounding stressed. That was true, but it was misleading me. I expected it to be Levinson like lazy and smooth. It was not. It is incredibly dynamic, ballsy, unlimited feeling of power at one extreme, and extremely delicate and reserved on quiet material. All music sounds effortless, but not lazy and smooth. If the music is aggressive, the amp played it. Dynamic power was instant and severe, at times it sounded like a brute, but that's what the music called for, and it was fun to here it played completely for a change. I can see how my Snappers are not as fast on the attack as these. Bass was not even the slightest bit loose, on organ music in a totally dead HT demo room with 89dB speakers. Tight as a drum. The tonal details of the low organ pedal tones was easily heard. I tried to listen for decay of the amps, but the tone was too rough to gage it, and the speakers' low sensitivity makes hearing delicate decay less obvious, IMO. Flourescent lights, AC and customers talking in the hall made any close listening impossible. Not a great demo, but it is much improved from last year when it was very dull.

After 15 minutes turned on I reached in to feel the heat sinks, they were not terribly hot, and didn't get hotter while I was there despite running in class A.  He had them stuffed into a Salamander low boy rack, so maybe he had them turned down to 10w class A, instead of the full boil setting. The amps were probably in standby when I arrived, triggered to on by the C2. I have read they need a long time to warm up from off, but standby is not bad.

I was very impressed with the amps and hope I can hear them again in a system up to the challenge.

When I came home I put on some of the music I listened to on the JC1. The system sounded so much clearer than the demo room that I couldn't really make a comparison. The dealer's policy is no take home demos and I will not be buying them new, so no home audition for these. I will go back and listen again.
Rich

LKdog

Re: Parasound JC1
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 07:02:46 PM »
Have spent a good deal of time listening to the JC 1's driving Soundlabs and some Aeriels.

Just a great pair of monoblocks. I would say they can be ever so slighty busy on top, but overall fantastic.
Unreal lower end control.

My mono extremes are in the same ballpark-but not as transparent as the JC 1's.
I love the JC 1's. Probably only amps I would swap for my Odysseys.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 07:39:25 PM »
You'll laugh....

But I've listened to JC-1's on 3 different GOOD systems against my Odyssey Stratos Mono Extreme SE's.  In all 3 systems, the Odysseys were better top to bottom for way less money.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

LKdog

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 10:10:05 PM »
Brian-

I won't laugh.... :rofl:

I think the Mono Extremes are smoother than the JC 1's from my recall. Did not do a side by side.
Seemed like the JC 1's were a bit more open or transparent, but grainier.

I am getting my Mono Extremes modded by Klaus in a couple months to an SE variant.
Will report back then.  :D

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 04:21:21 AM »
The differences weren't large.  I thought the JC-1's were very close in terms of low end grunt and imaging.  I thought the biggest difference was in the high end delicacy and detail.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 11:49:05 AM »
I had a pair of JC1's in the house a couple of years back while the owner was moving and I preferred my Mono Extreme's to them as well. I actually thought the high treble was a little bit sweeter on the JC1's but in all other areas I liked the Odyssey's, as did the owner of the JC1's when he came to pick them up. :)

LKdog

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 07:53:24 AM »
I certainly love my Odyssey Mono Extremes and cannot wait to hear what they sound like after the planned upgrade to SE status.

Both JC 1's and Mono Extremes are wonderful amps without a doubt.

I think the customer service and the customized upgrade path that Klaus offers makes Odyssey an extraordinary option for anyone looking for monoblocks that will drive anything, yet have tremendous finesse.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 06:53:17 AM »
I certainly love my Odyssey Mono Extremes and cannot wait to hear what they sound like after the planned upgrade to SE status.

Both JC 1's and Mono Extremes are wonderful amps without a doubt.

I think the customer service and the customized upgrade path that Klaus offers makes Odyssey an extraordinary option for anyone looking for monoblocks that will drive anything, yet have tremendous finesse.

Very well said. Klaus offers the bigger bang for the buck. For me the less detailed top end of the Mono Extremes wins out over the better bass of the JC 1's. IMO either amp with the right speaker will bring you bliss. However they are so close in so many ways it only makes sense to audition the Mono Extremes it's a no brainer.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 09:35:09 AM »
Thanks, yeah, that is a no brainer

LKdog

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
From what I have been told- the SE version of the Mono Extreme does increase the transparency on the higher end which is a real strength of the JC 1's from my experience.

Can't go wrong with either one.

WEEZ

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 03:32:16 PM »
FYI,

Brian Cheney is selling John Curl's personal pair of JC1's over at AC

WEEZ

rosconey

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 05:01:11 PM »
my se's get better every week-just when i think they must be broken in they sound so dam good-they sound better a day or so latter :drool: :drool:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 05:18:52 PM »
Thanks WEEZ, good find! But you know me and quick decisions.  :roll:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 05:48:59 AM »
richadoo,
              Nervosa maximus. I can see it now. JC1 and Soundlab speakers. Your in deep Nervosa now. Its only money.Then you can contact Brian for more room treatment and Black Sand for powercords.
              I can hear those Soundlabs just pumping away.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 06:49:26 AM »
rollo, you're a funny man.  I've seen those soundlabs, but never heard them as they are in disrepair. A friend has them alongside his Quad 989s and Fourier sans pareil tube OTL amps. Good stuff.