Author Topic: Big Mac in the house  (Read 19019 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Big Mac in the house
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 09:57:45 AM »
Whichever you decide to throw out, let me know...  :drool:

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Hantra

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 10:15:39 PM »
What do you guys think of the Classe CAM-350 or 400 monoblocks, equal to a Mac 402? Or even the 501's? I'm torn between those choices.  Thank you!

John

John:

I've heard the CAM's, and they are not close to the 501's in my opinion.  I'd rather have a 402 myself.  I found the CAM's to be rather lean.  They didn't have the lush sound of the 402/501, nor did they have the absolutely pitch black backdrop of the McIntosh amps.  The 401 is a little better, and I certainly enjoyed its speed, but I just didn't feel it was anything special.  It did what it was supposed to do, and is certainly no slouch, but it never got me excited like my 501's. 

Hope this helps,

B

Joker

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 02:20:20 PM »
Hi Hantra,
Sorry, I forgot about this thread. Thank you for your reply. in your post above when you mention the "402" are you refering to the Mcintosh 402? So, would you say that the Mac 352 and 402 are on the same level as the 501's? Does either one of those have anything over the other(besides wpc)? Thanks for your advice!

Regards,
John

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 05:58:19 AM »
Mca,
          Good luck with your new amp. The pre should tie it all together. Synergy baby. Whats a 1000 Hrs for break in. Be patient many have not and gave up too bad for them . This is a classic combo and tough to beat.
          I see some changes in cables, and front end coming. Its only natural you know. Have fun the new Nervosa has just begun. You ain't done yet . He,He,He.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 10:39:25 AM »
FYI, mca replaced this system a while back....
As to Joker's thoughts on the 352/402 vs. 501 I have heard both but not directly compared... I have the MC402.  I was planning on buying the 252 originally but decided to go with as much as I could afford at the time.

Hantra and I have fairly similar speakers and sources so I generally compare what my system does to his when I get home... In doing so, I usually think the 501 has a little more bass detail and a bit more 'graceful' way of presenting highs.  It's a 1-5% difference, and I'm not sure if the 501's are as transparent as the 402.... that would require a direct-comparison.  I enjoy the small improvements, though.  I may one day upgrade to the 501's... just not sure yet.  I like the Mc house sound... detailed music presented with confidence and finesse... It satisfies my neurotic detail needs and emotional musical needs at the same time. :)

-C

I really enjoy listening to music.

miklorsmith

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 10:59:54 AM »
I like the Mc house sound... detailed music presented with confidence and finesse... It satisfies my neurotic detail needs and emotional musical needs at the same time. :)

What an incredibly compact and effective description!  That's a mighty fine line you're describing and about the highest praise I can imagine.  Congratulations!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 11:11:16 AM »
It took me a long time to find and decide on it... and I have no interest in changing it in the year I've owned it.... so, high praise was deserved IMO. :)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2007, 06:47:08 AM »
Carlman,
                  Well done. Its makes alot of sense to me to stay with one Manf. house sound so to speak. Synergy in spades. The Mac house sound has been around a long time and for good reason. Good luck and happy listening.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Joker

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 09:45:08 AM »
Hi Carlman,
Thanks for your thoughts on the two. I hope to one day upgrade to either of them, just not sure which. Sounds like they are both fantastic amps and the price difference between the two isn't huge....I sure would like those mono blocks though!! :drool: They will be powering a set of LS9's, talk about overkill but I'm a huge fan of WPC and I think those Mac's will fit the bill nicely. Thanks again for your thoughts, much appreciated.

Best regards,
John