Author Topic: Big Mac in the house  (Read 19015 times)

Offline mca

• Certifiable
Big Mac in the house
« on: April 26, 2007, 05:08:47 PM »
While browsing Audiogon yesterday, I noticed an MC402 for sale right in my neighborhood. One day and a couple of phone calls later, it is sitting in my room  :D. The ad said it had only been used for about three hours and it looks it.

Holy crap, this thing is big and heavy. I nearly gave myself a hernia just getting it inside. Matter of fact, it's so big, it won't even fit in my rack  :shock:

Looks like I will have to do some searching for a new rack, because next week, I will have a C2200 preamp joining it.

I can't wait to tear the entire system apart and get these in it  :D
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Big Mac in the house
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 05:23:27 PM »
Congrats Mike, great choice! If it sounds anything like Carl's, you will be very happy. It makes a great combo. Good job finding it locally, you wouldn't want to ship that across the country!

I saw stereofool carry Carls 402 about 100 feet by himself, and even cool dude Steve was starting to turn red after that! haha

Grand Prix Audio makes a great stand, tho a little pricey. It is amazing, and big!
Rich

WEEZ

Big Mac in the house
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 06:04:11 PM »
WooHoo!! Congratulations!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Big Mac in the house
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 07:12:55 PM »
That's awesome, Mike.  I hope it fits the bill for you.
Please keep in mind that it requires a punishing break-in.  It will sound screachy in the highs for about a month or 2 and then blammo, it goes away and turns into a sweet but detailed sound.... Keep it playing nice and loud when you're not around.... If the Piega's don't need break-in I'd consider using some older, power-hungry speakers to really punish that Mac.  

Don't give up on it... I almost did... But at about 2 months, it just stopped screaming in the highs and all was well. 8)

Glad you found a local deal, that always helps with everything.

Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

miklorsmith

Big Mac in the house
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 07:18:52 AM »
Sweet!  Only two more months and you might have a winner!

Just kidding - that's great Mike, I look forward to checking out the new face of your setup.

Any chance you could do the resistor tango for burn-in?  Then you could REALLY turn it up, even at night.

Did you figure out the room measurement software?  I might have to bring the toolkit over and see what's up.

lonewolfny42

Big Mac in the house
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 12:45:37 PM »
Good luck with the Mac !!! I'll be watching for your comments Mike/mca....happy listening !!!!

Chris

Offline mca

• Certifiable
Big Mac in the house
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 07:42:29 AM »
Any chance you could do the resistor tango for burn-in? Then you could REALLY turn it up, even at night.

I'm not even sure how this is done, but with my luck, I would blow something up.

Did you figure out the room measurement software? I might have to bring the toolkit over and see what's up.

I hate trying to figure this kind of stuff out, and have not done so yet. Anytime you want to bring your kit over and help me figure it out, let me know  :D
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Joker

Re: Big Mac in the house
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 07:26:14 AM »
Man I've longed for a Mac amp for a long time. I would love to have the 501 mono's! :drool: Any updates on how it is sounding now that you've had it for a little while?

John

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 01:03:27 PM »
Carl was right, it takes forever to break a mac amp in. But I think I am there, as it has lost the last trace of hardness.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 03:56:13 PM »
I wish......my MC402 is still harsh at times but it's getting there!  :)

Joker

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 05:12:01 PM »
What do you guys think of the Classe CAM-350 or 400 monoblocks, equal to a Mac 402? Or even the 501's? I'm torn between those choices.  Thank you!

John

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 06:00:48 PM »
I like the Classe sound, but only heard them twice on B&W and Vandersteen, neither speakers my cup of tea. One B&W demo was at local dealer, equipment setup that day by B&W and Classe factory staff. That was quite a sound. Put the MF/Wilson/Levinson demos to shame. Another was with Vandersteen quattro intro tour. Speakers were notsetup at all, so sounded like crap, but I could still hear the glory of the amp (dynamics, subtle musicality.) They are very authoritative and pretty natural sounding for a solid state amp  8)  Until I heard Carl's mac402 on my speakers I never thought I could buy ss amp. I think the classe's would be similar, very smooth and musical. Not sure if as "transparent" as mac was, but could be. They are very nice sounding in their own right. Relatively expensive as I remember...
Rich

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 07:13:45 PM »
The one Classe' amp I heard that I really was impressed with was the original Omega Monos.  These were high five figure mono amps.  They were truly special. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Joker

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 09:16:45 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts. Right now I have a Classe CA-300 on Martin Logan Odyssey's and it sounds very good but I've got a serious hankerin for a set of mono blocks! I've heard many good things about the Mac 501's but have also heard the same about the Classe mono blocks as well. Decisions, decisions.. :duh

miklorsmith

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 09:36:33 AM »
Yes, Scarlett Johansen or Jessica Alba?  So tough sometimes . . .  :D