Author Topic: Help - Starting to think about my next preamp  (Read 13631 times)

Bigfish8

Re: Help - Starting to think about my next preamp
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 08:29:15 AM »
Dr. Lloyd can do the HT Bypass upgrade as it's an option, so I wouldn't consider it a mod.

I don't think you understood my previous post.  I purchased my unit from Dr. Lloyd with upgraded caps, upgraded resistors and HT Bypass.  The only mod I have done to the unit is add an aftermarket umbilical cord. 

Ken

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 07:00:44 AM »
 Ken Nightshade Audio has a Beacon Two preamp tour going on at AC. So far it is very well received. Price is right [ starts at $1000]. Check it out.  He has my interest perking. HT bypass as well. Yes it is tubed.

charles
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:03:07 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rajacat

• Seeking Help
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 09:09:07 PM »
In installed a SMD type stepped attenuator similar to these. http://cgi.ebay.com/2-pcs-DACT-Type-21-Stepped-Attenuator-100K-2A3-/200520064282?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eafed5d1a#ht_2360wt_1202
in my Mapletree Line 3A. I think that the one I bought was a few more dollars.

It sounded better than the stock blue Alps for not much $$$, however I found it required a fair amount of dexterity to install.

I also bypassed the output caps with .01 uf Russian teflons which imparted a pleasurable upgrade in sound quality. :)

Supposedly an upgrade in all the resistors makes a noticeable difference.

-Roy

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 06:28:12 AM »
Oh come on Ken, we all know that you started thinking about your next preamp before the caps on your current on were broken in!  :D 

Why should you be any different from the rest of us?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Bigfish8

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 03:55:20 PM »
Oh come on Ken, we all know that you started thinking about your next preamp before the caps on your current on were broken in!  :D 

Why should you be any different from the rest of us?

Nope, I have not had the nervosa for a new preamp until I started thinking about my system last week.  Since last November the entire system except for the Mapletree and Cords have changed. The Mapletree with the Tung-Sol Round Plates has served me well for two years but I think it is now the weakest link in the system.  The local guys know my system but I will list it here for the purpose of seeking appropriate recommendations:

Speakers - Usher Dancer Mini II's with Diamond Tweeters
AMP -----  Moscode 402AU - 6H30DR Super Tubes and Mullard 12AU7's
Source---  Mac Mini/Tranquility DAC connected by DB Audio Labs Essential USB Cable
Preamp --  Mapletree 2A-SE with Mullard Rectifier and Tung-Sol 6SN7 Round Plates
SCs ------ JPS Superconductor 3's
IC's ------ JPS Superconductor 3's.
Two Dedicated 20 AMP Circuits

Ken

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 04:10:46 PM »
Your amp is a dual mono design. I would look for a regular pre design and avoid dual mono straight through. Its just a nervosa of mine with dual mono preamps and power amps. If i had a dual mono pre i would look for a stereo power. Or if i had a dual mono power i would for a regular preamp. Unless they are made by the same brand i find they are too detailed for one another.  just my .02cents
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 04:43:39 PM »
I'm still thinking about that wonderful Moscode amp's sound, Ken. It is much better than I expected it to be. Great choice of tubes you got in there too.  Ballsy but smooth.

Bigfish8

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
I'm still thinking about that wonderful Moscode amp's sound, Ken. It is much better than I expected it to be. Great choice of tubes you got in there too.  Ballsy but smooth.

Rich:

I love my Moscode!  I think Shane's Moscode the other night was connected to the wall outlet by a Capativator (liquid ear sex PC)! 

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 06:25:58 PM »
That's right, it was Shanes unit. What tubes do you use?

Bigfish8

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 06:43:01 PM »
That's right, it was Shanes unit. What tubes do you use?

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010, 04:00:17 AM »
Ken Nightshade Audio has a Beacon Two preamp tour going on at AC. So far it is very well received. Price is right [ starts at $1000]. Check it out.  He has my interest perking. HT bypass as well. Yes it is tubed.

charles

I happen to have the Beacon right now and to say that it's good does not do it justice--this thing will surprise you.Mr Lamphear is really on to something here,,this baby can dance. :thumb:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 05:42:33 AM »

:duh  Sorry Ken...   OK, then Shane, what tubes are in yours?

Bigfish8

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2010, 05:48:22 AM »

:duh  Sorry Ken...   OK, then Shane, what tubes are in yours?

Shane reported from the G2G the following:  Tubes in it are Mullard 6922s and the stock 6H30s

My Moscode and Shane's should sound very similar!

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 06:24:37 AM »
Sweet, thanks Ken! Do you have some inkling starting to emerge about which preamps you might like to audition?  I know you are working hard on it.

Bigfish8

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 04:27:16 PM »
Sweet, thanks Ken! Do you have some inkling starting to emerge about which preamps you might like to audition?  I know you are working hard on it.

Stereofool loaned me his AR Ref 1 and I connected it into my system on Monday Afternoon (I was too tired after the G2G to hook it up on Sunday).  I had the opportunity to listen to it for approximately 3 hours and of course now I am on the road until Friday Afternoon.  My impressions were wow, I felt the Mapletree was pretty good but the Ref 1 took my system to a totally different level.  The Ref 1 produces a deeper sound stage that you can still hear the placement of the singer on the stage when sitting off axis.  This was not the case with the Mapletree.  The bass seemed more controled and the music overall seemed to have a fluid, almost sensual quality. 

Steve is very kind to allow me to experience such a high quality piece of gear in my system.  It is hard to believe the Ref 1 was produced in the late 90's and AR has further improved their preamps at least 3, maybe 4 times since then. 

Vera will be in CA this weekend which will hopefully provide me with some quality time listening to the system.  I certainly look forward to spending more time with fine preamp.  Thanks again to Steve for the opportunity.

Ken