Systemic Development > Speakers

SP technology speakers

<< < (2/17) > >>

richidoo:
Description and prices here.

What's this "full monty" treatment? Is that the same as Premier? Are there any reviews of the Revelation model out yet? Is this active amplification, or passive crossover?

I see a few things that make my warning antennas come up: the words Golden Ratio, Porsche, a buxom babe in the picture, buying without hearing first, shiny piano lacquer finish, and only 2 8" woofers claiming -2dB at 25Hz. Not that any of those things are bad... ;) No Revelation reviews yet. I would be most concerned about tonal accuracy with the horn tweeter and distortion in the low frequencies from smallish drivers.  I will read the reviews of the other models to learn more about his design goals.

I am pretty sceptical, but I respect your opinions Jim and Chris. The Adagios surprised me with their good tone and decent bass response from small drivers, so maybe these will too. I'm always open minded and willing to learn new tricks, but also mindful of the limits of physics and the influence of the market. I hope they come to RMAF.
Rich

miklorsmith:
One of my nearby audioheads has a pair of Revelations coming soon.  I'm excited to hear them.

Double Ugly:
The "Full Monty" is my chosen verbiage to describe the crossovers w/ top-of-the-line Mundorf pieces and parts ($$$).  It has nothing to do with the Premier finish. There are no professional reviews of the Revelations yet, and the crossover is passive (external is an option, though).

FWIW, my Timepieces have only a single 8" woofer per side, and are claimed to reach -3dB @ 29Hz.  I doubt anyone who has heard them questions the accuracy of those measurements, but you're more than welcome to come over and check anytime you like.  :D  

With regards to distortion in the low frequencies, I believe you'll find that I, George Hoenninger (zybar), Scott Black (Freejazz) and others have all made statements to the effect that Revelations produce the best bass we've heard from any speaker or subwoofer, regardless of price.  Granted, that and a buck-fifty will get you half-way to a decent cup o' coffee, but it would seem to lend credence to the engineering goals and design philosophy of Bob Smith.  That, or we all really like the distortion they produce!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for tonal accuracy, Jim Merod (founder of BluePort Sound recording studio and BluePort Jazz record label, writer for ENJOY THE MUSIC, POSITIVE FEEDBACK, formerly with Stereo Times), Bill Roberts (formerly of ENJOY THE MUSIC) and Bruce Bartlett are all recording engineers, and they certainly didn't have an issue with tonal irregularities or distortion.  Stephen Murphy of Pro Audio Sound "has produced or engineered hundreds of recordings, including Grammy-winning and gold and platinum-selling releases", and he didn't seem to think they were issues either.  In fact, they all say or imply otherwise.  :wink:

Bear in mind, too, that all but Jim Merod's review were of the older, since thrice-improved Timepiece 2.0s.  But as Chris says, hearing is believing.

They were at the 2004 RMAF, but I don't know what (if any) plans Bob has for this year.  That's where I heard them, and I've been counting my pennies ever since.

Are they for everyone?  Absolutely not.  Tastes and desires are far too varied for any one speaker to satisfy all.  That said, I honestly doubt anyone who hears a properly set-up and supported (i.e., ancillary equipment) pair will fail to recognize the quality of sound produced whether it meets with their sonic wants/needs/desires or not.

So as always, YMMV...

-Jim

PS - I feel for you, shep.  If you ever find yourself back in the states, you're welcome to stop by and listen as long as you like... or until the wife kicks you out, whichever occurs first.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

-Jim

Nick B:
What's this "full monty" treatment? Is that the same as Premier? Are there any reviews of the Revelation model out yet? Is this active amplification, or passive crossover?

Over on the "other circle" aka AC, Bob from SP had posted that he is re-doing the standard finsh on the Timepieces. Since he had some old stock around, I am getting the"old finish" at a very nice discount. I did opt for the new Mundorf parts, though. This is all internal and not the super duper external xover that Jim is getting. Whether there is an intermediate Mundorf upgrade between what Jim and I are getting, I don't know.

Because of the nice discount, this is a "no brainer" for me. Also, I trust Jim's judgment and comments based on our PM's and phone discussions.

I should have been much clearer in my post and hope this hasn't cast a bad light in any way on Bob at SPTech. He's very straightforward and a pleasure to deal with.

Nick

richidoo:
Thanks Jim. You know I would LOVE to hear them. Next summer I will drive out to Indy, maybe I'll take a little longer route and stop in! You'll have them dialed in by then. Maybe sooner at a show.
Rich

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version