Systemic Development > Speakers

Panels and Ribbons, Like?

(1/4) > >>

miklorsmith:
On planars, maybe I'm a heretic but I haven't heard one that generates convincing instrumental tone.  I don't mean transient behavior which they obviously excel at and I don't mean image which they can do passably.  They can give a nice presentation of space if properly set up.

But as far as the life and breath of instruments, I haven't heard it yet.  Granted, my experience is limited to two occasions:  A big pair of Maggies in a room that was probably too small, and a pair of the current $10k Martin Logans run by big Mac stuff in a dedicated room.  Each session was 45 minutes or more with my music at "convincing" volume.

The Martin Logans had a very nice bottom end, as they used powered, dynamic bass systems.  But, it didn't blend with the panels very well.

With ribbons, I've had similar experiences, especially with VMPS.

Am I missing the experience?  Is it a matter of preference where tone isn't the main priority of these types?  So many folks like them that I must be missing something.  I guess none of my experiences have included FAT tubes pushing them.  Maybe that's part of it.

bpape:
If you ever get a chance, listen to the Sound Labs.  I think you'll find them excellent at tonal reproduction.

I'll agree with your assessment of the ML's - not at all my cup of tea.  The bottom and top just don't integrate well and it's very distracting.

As for Maggies, the 20's are something special.  The do require a lot of juice and a lot of space.  They're also ruthless at revealing everything in the chain ahead of them.  

Bryan

richidoo:
I thought the tone of Quad 2805 with Cayin KT88 integrated tube amp was very convincing and satisfying on solo piano. Better than 988, 989. Lows were acceptable and slam was decent, for a classical solo piano, that is.. I am a tone nut too, brass instruments are really hard to get right. Accurate tone plus dynamic ability and volume level all at once is hard, not heard it in a planar.

I didn't like ML Summit either. No balls in the mid. The factory demo tour came through here last year with software full of transient and tinkly music. The big band track was empty in the mids. No sizzle. Some guy put on a bad recording of a rock band and people started going back to the cheeze table.

I have not it yet but heard reports of the Quad 2905 being very special. I'm looking forward to hearing that.

WEEZ:
I don't like Martin Logan's either. Unnatural sounding.

Anybody remember the 'early' Quad 57's?

WEEZ

bpape:
Oh yeah.  Some of the best sound I ever heard.  Listening to 57's driven by Futterman OTL-1's with Harvey Gizmo Rosenberg

Bryan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version