Author Topic: Aqua Acoustic Formula xHD DAC Upgrade  (Read 2891 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Aqua Acoustic Formula xHD DAC Upgrade
« on: June 22, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »
   Well in three years an upgrade. A new analog board now available to existing owners. A plug in affair no need to send back. Another user friendly upgrade.
   Purchasing Aqua Acoustic digital gear has the advantage of upgrade not throw away purchase of digital gear. Aqua was not pleased by the Stereophile review so they went back and studied their work. After careful review and measurements a new analog board was designed and implemented taking this DAC to its highest level ever and surpassing in our opinion the best of what is available in digital today.
  Our La Scala and La Volce models rival todays best. do yourself a favor and audition one. We have the La Scala and Formula in stock for demo.

charles
rollo audio

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
Re: Aqua Acoustic Formula xHD DAC Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 03:21:10 PM »
Charles

I just got my La Voce back from Italy about two weeks ago and now have just over 200 hours on the S3 upgrade.  Well worth it though a bit pricey.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 09:23:12 AM »
  Yes Jack that one was pricey however lots of new stuff in there. The reason I like Aqua so much is for this reason. Upgrades available when needed. Our original investment never gets lost like other digital devices.
  Give it another 100 hours and be very happy. What USB ? SPDIF cable ? are you using ? Footers ? PC ? I can help there.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 06:35:30 PM »
Charles

We crossed the 325 hour mark today and I think we are just about there.  For footers right now I am using Symposium Rollerblock Jr.s, but also have on hand IsoAcoustics Pucks and Oreas as well as Tenderfeet, EVP and several others so I will just try them all out and settle on the best one. Same with cables as I have AES/EBU cables from Audio Sensibility, Wireworld and Audio Envy and USB cables from Audio Sensibility, Wireworld, Supra, Straightwire and my current favorite an OCC copper cable from Oyaide.  With the S2 I preferred the AES connection but now I think I agree with David Abrahams of Stereo Times and the USB may have the upper hand.  In the end David preferred his upgraded La Voce to the DS Jr. and time will tell which I prefer in the end the S3 or the Directstream Sr. Both are great DACs and with the current configurations more similar than different which was not the case before the upgrade. 
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 12:06:09 PM »
Charles

We crossed the 325 hour mark today and I think we are just about there.  For footers right now I am using Symposium Rollerblock Jr.s, but also have on hand IsoAcoustics Pucks and Oreas as well as Tenderfeet, EVP and several others so I will just try them all out and settle on the best one. Same with cables as I have AES/EBU cables from Audio Sensibility, Wireworld and Audio Envy and USB cables from Audio Sensibility, Wireworld, Supra, Straightwire and my current favorite an OCC copper cable from Oyaide.  With the S2 I preferred the AES connection but now I think I agree with David Abrahams of Stereo Times and the USB may have the upper hand.  In the end David preferred his upgraded La Voce to the DS Jr. and time will tell which I prefer in the end the S3 or the Directstream Sr. Both are great DACs and with the current configurations more similar than different which was not the case before the upgrade.

Hi Jack USB for server/streamer/computer. WE like TWL with separate power and data in one cable. Also like Mad Scientist USB. SPDIF to DAC from dedicated transport. Footers are hit and miss with DAC. Chill with footers until after 500 hours. We found better with no footer as long as on good shelf.
Enjoy!!!

charles
  We prefer RCA to balanced connection from DAC to preamp as well.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 12:07:50 PM by rollo »

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 05:38:50 PM »
Charles

I've gone back to AES like with the S2 after trying USB for a while.  The AES/EBU cable is one I got from the Captain at AE a few months back and it was used in the 10 day break-in process in the Office system. I don't do DSD so it works for me.  As for the footers it's still on the Rollerblock Jr.'s just like the Directstream Sr. was as I just lifted one DAC out and sat the other in it's place.  It's sitting on a 2" maple shelf in a Timbernation rack so I will try it straight to the shelf at some point.  I too have found that I prefer the SE to the Balanced outputs but I think part of that is the abnormally high gain from the Balanced outputs.  The power cord is a TWL Digital American.
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 06:08:37 AM »
Charles

I've gone back to AES like with the S2 after trying USB for a while.  The AES/EBU cable is one I got from the Captain at AE a few months back and it was used in the 10 day break-in process in the Office system. I don't do DSD so it works for me.  As for the footers it's still on the Rollerblock Jr.'s just like the Directstream Sr. was as I just lifted one DAC out and sat the other in it's place.  It's sitting on a 2" maple shelf in a Timbernation rack so I will try it straight to the shelf at some point.  I too have found that I prefer the SE to the Balanced outputs but I think part of that is the abnormally high gain from the Balanced outputs.  The power cord is a TWL Digital American.

Cool, Sounds good. Now if I could only get you into an Innuos zen or Zenith in the future oh my !!

charles

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 05:27:24 PM »
Charles

I actually talked to Mark about the Innuous when I was doing the upgrade and their was still the long waiting period on both the Zen and the Zenith.  As I wanted something in before and broken in before the La Voce returned I bought Walter at Underwood's Axpona Aries G1 demo unit for a great price and it sounds good.  Will have to wait awhile before the Innuous happens.  Really sorry to see the break-up between Mark and Christian and frankly surprised as I thought Mark had done a great job promoting a relatively unknown brand.
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 12:20:28 PM »
Charles

I believe the balanced outs are 5V.

charles