Author Topic: My new PC build  (Read 27562 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: My new PC build
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 11:01:12 AM »
That actually seems like it'd be a really good video production machine... I use Adobe Premiere CS5 64-bit and it makes a huge difference when you have good memory and processor.  I recently bought a new machine that could keep up and not crash.. requiring a good graphics card, 8G of RAM, 2.8G AMD, etc.. Had I seen your 'tank' of a PC, I might have gone that route instead... It looks really well put-together and well organized.  Congrats.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

jsaliga

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 01:53:46 PM »
This is turning into something of an adventure Carl.  And I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way.  Overclocking to even 4GHz on this setup isn't really doable.  The machine is nice and stable, even at 4.2GHz or 4.5GHz.  The problem is heat.  I thought that the Cooler Master V10 would be a good alternative to water cooling that would get me to 4GHz but I was wrong.  The CPU goes on a steady heat ramp and after about 10 minutes under 100% load on all six cores the temps get to 85C.

Why am I determined to overclock?  Because without it I am leaving a lot of potential performance on the table.  Stability is not the issue and the voltage bumps I am using are not particularly agressive.  At first I thought that I may have mounted the Cooler Master heat sink incorrectly or it wasn't making good contact with the processor, so I took the machine apart and reassembled it and am getting the same results.

So, as much as I was hoping to avoid water cooling it seems to be the only real choice with these hexacores if you want to squeeze the most performance out of them.  I could bump the overclock down to about 3.6GHz and keep the temperatures at ~ 65C.  But with water cooling I should be able to get to 4.5GHz.  While this might sound crazy I am going to ditch the Thermaltake Armor+ case (a move that Gene will probably applaud) and replace it with a Silverstone TJ07 Black case.  The Armor+ will support a water cooling rig but not with the radiator on the inside of the case, and I really don't want a big 120x3 radiator hanging off the back of my machine.  The SilverStone can accomodate a radiator on the inside of the case (in fact it can take one three fan and one two fan radiator, so I could go with a dual loop configuation if I wanted to.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:57:12 PM by jsaliga »

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 07:06:39 PM »
I also applaud the Silverstone case, 2 of my builds are in them, and my media server almost was but I got a great deal on an Antec P-180 case instead.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 09:18:45 PM »
Six cores @ 4.5Ghz?  :shock:

You'd better make sure that the generators for your emergency cooling system are not in the basement where they could get flooded by a tsunami.  :lol:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

jsaliga

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 04:14:34 AM »
I've seen a few people on Overclockers.com run their quad cores at up to 5GHz.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 04:38:46 AM »
I also applaud the Silverstone case.

Glad you approve.  ;)

Seriously, I decided on the SilverStone purely based on function.  It's a nice looking case, to be sure, but it won out because of its suitability to host a completely integrated water cooling loop.  It also gives me some flexibility.  While I am not planning on water cooling the graphics cards, I can add a second loop if I want to.  I also looked at custom cases that are handmade and designed from the ground up for water cooling.  They get very large, like double wide full tower ATX cases -- no thanks.

If the SilverStone didn't offer the features that I needed then I very likely would have ended up buying a Cooler Master HAF X.  The only other case that qualifies is the Corsair Obsidian 800D, but I ruled it out due to numerous reviews citing issues with airflow.  Even though I am going to water cool the processor, I still need to move air to those Nvidia GPUs and the MB.

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 05:42:06 AM »
I always believed that, for PCs at least, function needs to trump looks. I'm just pleased the Silverstone cases, and the Antec, happened to look good while providing the function I wanted.  ;)
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 10:27:14 AM »
Even though I am going to water cool the processor, I still need to move air to those Nvidia GPUs and the MB.

You bet. It wan't too long ago that most computers had less memory and processing horsepower than those GPUs alone.  :roll:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 04:51:30 PM »
Well...I totally chickened out on the water cooling.

I recently read about the misadventures of a water cooling noob who ruined several hundred dollars in hardware because of a radiator problem that happened after a supposedly successful leak test.  That was enough for me.

But I haven't given up my desire to overclock.  A friend recommended the Noctua NHD-14 CPU cooler.  It's another massive air cooler.  I told him about the poor overclock results I was getting with the Cooler Master V10 and he said that if I tried the Noctua and couldn't get my processor to at least 4GHz with temps under 75C @ 100% load that he would buy it from me for cost.  So I am going to give it a try.

I have also decided to add a third GTX 570 for 3-Way SLI and will replace my 32" HDTV that I am using as a monitor with 3 Dell 24" Ultra resolution 1920 x 1200 monitors for surround gaming.  The Silverstone case was still a good buy because it has better ventillation than the Thermaltake, and with three GPUs it is going to need the extra airflow.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 04:50:33 AM »
I nixed the Dell monitors and instead decided to go with three Acer G Series 24" 120Hz monitors so I could use Nvidia 3D Vision.  It's all on order and should be here on Friday.

Geez, I've created a monster.  8)

--Jerome

Offline richidoo

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 05:57:41 AM »
What are you gonna use this monster for?

jsaliga

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 06:20:27 AM »
World domination.  :rofl:

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 06:25:54 AM »
Seriously, the three monitors will service two purposes.  It will help to make me a bit more productive at work (I work mostly from my home office).  But the more obvious purpose is for Nvidia Surround Gaming.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-surround-technology.html

I'm not the hardcore gamer I used to be but I still enjoy PC gaming when I can find the time.

--Jerome

Offline richidoo

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 06:29:02 AM »
Awesome!!  And the occasional CD rip at 50x...  ;)

Offline tmazz

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 03:23:32 PM »
Geez, I've created a monster.  8)

--Jerome

We'll have to start calling you "The Baron"  :rofl:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9