Author Topic: need recommendations: energy star 5.0 and quiet PC desktop  (Read 4620 times)

Phil

My research skills need improvement.  What say you IT gurus?

I'd like to replace my aging Dell with an energy efficient and silent desktop.  Uses:  stream music to Touch, internet, email, connect to office vmware system.  Dell's optiplex 960 fits the quiet/energy efficient profile but is meant for IT departments, not homes with dummies like me. 

I love the look and power efficiency of the apple stuff but never have used it and the office IT staff don't want to hassle the home/office connection.  Since the software I use if windows based, it also seems like I would boot into windows (if that how it is still done) all the time for all my work and play (so why have an apple?). On the other hand, the mac mini looks nice since at this point all my music is stored on external drives (and I'm assuming apple stuff can read them via its windows interface).

What do you IT-savy folks think?   
Thanks.

Phil

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: need recommendations: energy star 5.0 and quiet PC desktop
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 03:54:21 PM »
I'm not an IT guy, but I did pick up an HP6367c Windows 7 PC, this past year. It is much quieter than any of my previous computers, and has been very reliable.

I think that when I bought it the price was around $900 and that was with a 25" monitor. I'm pretty sure prices have come down some, since then.

I'm sure there are lots of options out there...good luck!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 05:07:44 PM »
There's a website I came across awhile back --- http://www.silentpcreview.com

I haven't been there in awhile but see that it does still exist.  If I recall correctly they were in to both silent and energy efficient systems.

Another is http://www.EndPCNoise.com

One of these days I may jump on this but haven't done so yet.  But there are folks on AN here that have!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 05:36:19 PM »
If your Dell is only a few years old you can just upgrade the power supply to an ultra efficient and ultra quiet model. There are many options there. The tasks you listed can be done on any PC less than 10 years old.

If you want good speed for ripping CDs and browsing internet, processing photos, etc get anew Dell or HP within your price range with  AMD or Intel high end processor. If silence is most important, some small PCs with Atom processors are fanless. Use a SSD drive for OS and it is perfectly silent. Add a D-Link DNS323 NAS for quiet storage via USB or network.

My 2003 Dell is very quiet. I think most of the newer PCs will meet your efficiency and quiet specs. Check the reviews on google for noise measurements. Ask if the PS can be upgraded for a fee. I would stick with Dell or HP as they are the strongest players. Sweetwater sells music production PCs that are super powerful and silent. Shuttle makes some cool consumer machines, focused on speed and efficiency.

Nice links Mike!
Rich

Phil

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 07:03:16 PM »
Thanks, Mike and Rich.  I'll check those out.   :thumb:

Phil

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 09:25:39 AM »
IIRC, PC Power and Cooling makes an upgraded PS for Dell that may fit your requirements.