Author Topic: easy-to-use PC: non-audio related query Family member looking for laptop  (Read 10417 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Compaq was the original portable computer. Until early 2000's it was considered one of the best brands. Then HP bought it and became a player in the laptop biz. HP laptops are now among the best. HP desktops are also excellent. With HP as strong as it is now and still noted for high quality I would not worry about buying a Compaq.

I bought a 512MB hard drive for my wife's birthday present in 1992, $400. I guess that's what I deserve for buying her a hard drive for birthday. That's what she wanted - to play Myst. Now all 3 Myst games won't even run on modern Windows.  :rofl:

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Ah, the good old days!

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Yup.  We used to call it a 'luggable' instead of a portable.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Ah, the good old days!

You had one of those too?   :)

We didn't even try to carry it, just gave in and put it on a luggage cart.  :roll:

I can't remember, was this a 286 based machine or did it go all the way back to the 8086/8088 chips?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Hey, I used to travel with this sucker...  anyone recognize it?

Offline richidoo

Is that Pac-Man on the screen?  wookawooka

Phil

If I remember correctly, when the floppy drives were in action they could get up to about 150db.  Whatever the actual level, it was nearly painful.  And those little green screens.  I never used them because back then you needed to be a propeller head to work the thing.   :lol:

Any memory of larger systems?  Wang 10" (I think) floppy drives anyone?  I loved to see when folks would accidentally staple the thing to a file folder.  Ah, the good ole days.

Thanks, again, everyone for the suggestions.  Strangely enough, this has me thinking about finally connecting my audio to a computer  :shock:    Dream system (if it exists):  IPad as controller, silent hard drives with large capacity and SPDIF output to existing DAC. 

Offline richidoo

Go for it Phil!!  iPad controller would be sweet, huh?

I like using a laptop as controller, then I can surf the web at the same time. :D  But it is a little heavy, and I have rubber feet imprints on my knees.  :rofl: