Author Topic: How my new Hard drive makes my sound better!  (Read 8822 times)

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
How my new Hard drive makes my sound better!
« on: May 23, 2010, 02:31:16 PM »
Greetings all,

I am writing this post to let you know how much better your performance can be, based on my experiments.

Some of use our computers as transports going to a DAC. We know how great this is for getting better sound quality and easier use.

My system was down for a while so I used the time to research how I can improve the performance by changing the way the computer reads the files. I can switched over and now use a Mac laptop, G4 PowerBook Model A1138. This 15 inch, late 2005 model was a top of the line unit, which features an all aluminum case and dual 1394 ports.

I have been using an external 1TB hard drive connected to the computer using USB. This solution was good as the drive (Cavalry) uses an aluminum case and keeps the function simple.

I am fortunate that I have the guidance from my mentor who I look to refer to as my Guru. He has told me that you should not keep the files on the internal hard drive as computers make too much noise. I agreed with him on this so I got the 1TB hard drive.

Prices are dropping and technology allows us to use what was very hard from most people just a short time ago.  My guru told me that an external drive that uses bus power will sound better than my external powered drive due to the lack of a switching power supply.

I use the M2tech Hi-Face (wonderful device) which occupies the left USB port of my laptop. In theory, the guru tells me that by using a different interface for the drive, you will not have data going over the USB bus. New drives are now on the market yet they are made for data not for Audio type use. For audio playback, you want the less is more theory also can be called K.I.S.S.  I was told that the smaller external 2.5-inch drives sound better than the 3.5-inch external drives based on his tests. He also tells me that the slower 5400-rpm drives sound better than the faster 7200-rpm drives.

I took all of this and added my own beliefs that an external, aluminum enclosure that could be bus powered (non-USB) could be what I wanted, a better sounding drive.

Now that my Mac is dedicated to my audio system as a transport, I looked into using fire wire. This interface was designed for Audio/Video so naturally; I looked around to see what I could find. I am NOT one who feels a fire wire DAC is a better choice that USB, esp., since I am using the M2Tech Hi-face now with a top level BNC digital Coaxial cable.  Using the fire wire connection in theory will lower the CPU cycles and that is good for Audio.

Once I knew what direction I was looking for, I set out to find the right drive to improve the sound of my system and simply the process.

I have a high-end system so I am able to hear the changes that I make, even if they are small changes. The Computer/DAC is IMHO, the way to be!

So who makes an external drive that meets my criteria?  I looked around in the retail market and was not happy with what I found.  High End Audio is not in great demand these days so you must look around harder to find what you are looking for.

I am so pleased to write you that I have found the solution so I wish to share my findings with all of you.

I found two companies that make drives that are external, aluminum enclosures that use 2.5-inch drives that have fire wire. Both looked good yet I decided (glad that I did) to go with Oyen Digital. This Midwestern company caters to the pro AV market so after I found them I did my research and got there guidance to figure out the drive for me. I realized that the Western Digital Scorpio Blue was the drive for me. This seems to be the drive of choice for many Audio uses in the studio and out in the field. Oyen sells these drives with the WD 3 year warranty and they have the best prices. I went with the brand new 750 GB drive. This drive is SATA with a 9.5-inch form factor.

The tech support rep at Oyen Digital is a good guy who is helpful and knowledgeable. I spoke with him several times and he told me about the WD drive and the company was about to release a larger one (750 GB) so I waited for this drive to be in stock.

Oyen Digital makes several enclosures that I looked at and I chose the EBS-2. This drive has twin Fire wire 1394B ports, an ESATA / USB combo port, a DC input and all the cables and power supply included. The case uses the famous Oxford Semiconductor 924 chip which is a classic Audio chop, no longer made. The Oxford Company was acquired so the 934 chip has replaced the 924. So finally, I have a source for drive and enclosure.

I was lucky to be able to get this enclosure so I am pleased and I feel happy about that. The drive and enclosure are easy to work with. It took me about 5 minutes to put it together and so I was ready to go. The supplied 1394B 9 pin – 9 pin cable is a solid, shielded cable that is well made.  The enclosure will be upgraded in the future so I was able to get a refurbished unit in perfect condition.    

Now for the feedback:  I am so pleased to report that my expectations have been exceeded! I am enjoying better sound quality and I am very pleased that my efforts have been rewarded. The drive is connected to the Mac using the 1394B port with the supplied cable.

I was hoping for a subtle difference and what I got was a noticeable difference.
The images is tighter and has better focus. The depth perception is better and the separation of voices and instruments has improved. The tonality seems more organic to me and less like hi-fi, more like music. Background vocals, the rear sections of an orchestra are now easier to enjoy. The background is blacker and quieter.  The resolution has improved with no loss of body. I find myself wanting to listen more and be excited by my library and not just a few cut choices.

So there you have it. The choice for me was a choice the right direction. I am pleased so now I share my findings with you. I hope my posting helps others out there who share my passion yet maybe are not as savvy as me with this.

Enjoy.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: How my new Hard drive makes my sound better!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 03:34:07 PM »
Paul,

Since the drive you are using is SATA based have you ever thought about connecting it the the computer using an ESATA (External SATA) interface instead of the Firewire? It seems to me that using firewire just adds another set of protocol conversions to the equation and if you can keep the connections all SATA you would simplify things and avoid the processing overhead associated with the conversions. It would just seem that the best conversion is no conversion at all.

Just my thought from a conceptual point of view, (But it wouldn't be the first time  that conventional wisdom did not translate into better sound.)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 04:01:51 PM »
Hey Tom,

My Mac laptop does not have an Esata port. Fire Wire was conceived with Audio/video in mind so That is why I went this route.  I wanted Esata for future usage should I have to transfer files on another computer equipped with esata.

Paul,

Since the drive you are using is SATA based have you ever thought about connecting it the the computer using an ESATA (External SATA) interface instead of the Firewire? It seems to me that using firewire just adds another set of protocol conversions to the equation and if you can keep the connections all SATA you would simplify things and avoid the processing overhead associated with the conversions. It would just seem that the best conversion is no conversion at all.

Just my thought from a conceptual point of view, (But it wouldn't be the first time  that conventional wisdom did not translate into better sound.)

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 04:31:27 PM »
While Firewire may have been designed with A/V in mind it  a)was designed to connect non-computer  AS/V eqipt to a computer, not to interconnect computer components and b) was designed quite a bit before the development of the SATA standards.

This does not mean that Firewwire cannot be or is notbetter than ESATA, but it does give me pause to question it and maybe experiment a bit (which of course is very easy for me to do with your money.  :lol:)

As for ESATA with your laptop, does Mac laptop come with any kind of peripheral expansion slot similar to the PCMCIA buss on a Windows based laptop? If so I am sure you can get an ESATA card for your setup.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Bigfish8

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 05:34:38 PM »
This may be nuts but with computer audio the computer is actually the source, not the transport.  I believe folks are finding that the type of computer, type of internal hard drive, connection of the external hard drive to the computer and yes, possibly the power cord all have an impact on the sound quality.  All of us have been concentrating on the DAC but I believe the performance of the DAC is greatly influenced by the quality of the digits it receives.

That is my theory and I am approaching my conversion into computer audio with those thoughts.

Ken

Offline tmazz

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 09:15:10 PM »
Ken, I agree with you 100% - garbage in, garbage out. Granted, you need a good DAC, but the best DAC in the world won't sound too hot without a good quality digital stream to feed it. (Although personally I would still rather listen to a high quality vinyl system, but that is a discussion for a whole other thread.  8) )

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 05:42:37 AM »
I'm going to say 'particular' a lot here.. because this is tweaky stuff.
It depends on your system and room whether you'll hear improvements in the transport PC..
Some changes simply don't matter if your room or system doesn't resolve that particular change.  I get irritated when I hear a blanket statement like 'maybe your system isn't resolving enough'... Which is the typical my-dick's-bigger-than-yours comment in this hobby.. And while there is the outside possibility that's the case, it's more likely the issue that your system doesn't resolve that type of change... or your ears don't perceive that particular change... that day, on that song.

Audio PC's are seemingly endless sources of tweakability.  Thanks for the tip on the external 5400 laptop drive.  I think many of the newer hard drive with isolation built-in sound better than any of the old ones.  The Samsung and Hitachi I've tried both sound better than the lauded Seagates of yester year.  

I'm thinking of wrapping the SATA cable with ERS and doing a little more isolation inside my server... but when does it end?  Am I getting 'noise' in my network from the other PC's using switching power supplies? ;)

Great job on the review, Lizard King!  Thanks for doing the work and for writing it all.. Awesome.  It's rare that people actually DO the experiment.. much less write about it these days.

-C
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 05:44:12 AM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 04:37:22 PM »
Nice analogy, Carl!  Size does matter!  We all need really big hard drives :rofl:

Seriously, everything matters and if you're prone to any degree of OCD personality traits, it can drive you nuts.  I'm just getting to where I'm feeling really good about my audio setup and improving power to it, but now there's the whole computer environment just begging to be tweaked.   :duh

One thing I've done recently that I really do think has helped is I've moved my music storage from a Lacie USB harddrive to a 1tb Samsung HD103SJ SATA drive that I've got external to my PC running as an eStata.  Works like a charm and I swear it sounds better (or at least I want to think it does).

If you're in the market for a 1tb drive, this one has gotten excellent reviews and is currently available from Newegg for $70 after a $20 instant promo.  This deal is ending tonight so better jump, but I have seen this occasionally elsewhere for under $80.

Check this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

Bigfish8

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »
Mike:

Thanks for the lead on the external drive.  I was too late as they were sold out!

Ken

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 06:53:36 AM »
Ken, I own 4 of those drives.  They're great performers, run cool and quiet, and I've never had any problems with them.  I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I see them at a low price again.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 01:41:05 PM »
If anyone is searching for a good deal on the Samsung HD103SJ 1tb drive, check this:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=HD-HD103SJ

and use the coupon code GRAD15 for an additional 15% off (which can be applied to anything on ewiz.com I think).

This gets the HD103SJ to under $64.  Nice!

Caveat - I have purchased one of these drives from ewiz.com (aka SuperBiiz) before with no problems but buyer beware and be sure you're OK with their warranty and return policies.  

Update: This same drive is on Newegg.com again for $69.99 w/free shipping.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:55:47 PM by mdconnelly »

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 11:24:43 AM »
I know the point of this thread isn't to post the latest and greatest deals on HDDs, but I bought a 2.0TB W.D. external drive at Walmart for $160 the other day. It's the quietest drive I've ever heard. No problems with having it a couple feet away from, and behind my head while critically listening.

Fwiw,
Bob

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 11:33:58 AM »
Is this the one? $145 online, that's not bad. Watch the shipping tho

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Western-Digital-WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN-Elements-Desktop-Hard-Drive/13055863

I've been looking for a backup drive for my nas and for portable music library for G2Gs. Thanks for the tip Bob.

Lots of good feedback on Newegg for that drive too. They have a good price too. $155 shipped.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136471&cm_re=elements_2tb-_-22-136-471-_-Product
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:36:18 AM by richidoo »

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 11:47:54 AM »
Nope, the one I got is > THIS ONE <.

The main reason I like it so much is that it's VERY quite.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 02:35:16 PM »
Cool, thanks. Quiet is good! My nas is a truck, has to be in a different room.