Author Topic: Got a virus  (Read 15444 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Got a virus
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 11:03:55 AM »
NERDS!!!!!!
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 11:25:09 AM »
NERDS!!!!!!

Nope - GEEKS (there is a difference...)

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 12:34:56 PM »
Courtesy Wikepedia:

Nerd is a term often bearing a derogatory connotation or stereotype, that refers to a person who passionately pursues intellectual  activities, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests that are age-inappropriate rather than engaging in more social or popular activities. Therefore, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by peers, or will tend to associate with like-minded people.

The word geek is a slang term, noting individuals as "a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, etc."[1]  Formerly, the term referred to a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken, bat, snake or bugs.

I think we audiophiles fall in the "geek" category. The ''overly obsessed with electronics" describes us exactly.
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline richidoo

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 01:35:38 PM »
I am both nerd and geek.  :thumb:

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 01:47:36 PM »
Bring back the damn trumpet Richie.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 02:07:36 PM »
I live to serve.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 02:39:31 PM »
I live to serve.
Now where have I heard that before?  :rofl:

Thanks for the trumpet, man. I LOVE that! :thumb:
You know, that (damn) trumpet is one of the most identifying avatars there is. I don't know., Can't explain it Rich. But yours is one of those that should never be changed.

Bob

Offline richidoo

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 02:43:40 PM »
Then that settles it!   At least until I get bored of it again!

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 02:44:51 PM »
 :thumb: YOU DA MAN!!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 03:37:16 AM »
Got a virus....

See what happens Emil....you didn't get your flu shot...
And YOUR the one that should know better.... [-X   :rofl:

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 10:30:05 AM »
My spouse and I each use Avira AntiVir at home and have had no issues, I've been using it for a number of years: http:/www.free-av.com.

Interestingly, my spouse's work computer got infected around Veteran's Day last year. Her office uses AVG.

“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

bacobits

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 06:59:26 AM »
Rich, anyone?
Does this MS Security Essentials cover infected web pages and E mail, in and out?
Avast does automatically and I can't find details on the MS site for this, short of uninstalling everything and installing MS Security Essentials to find out.

Need to know.
I shouldn't mess with stuff everything is running fine.

Den

Offline richidoo

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 07:28:59 AM »
The webpage says it covers all threats.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx

The bad guys are always one step ahead, so any protection will always have vulnerability. Avast always protected me just fine. I like this new one because it is noticeably faster, and still self updating, and free.

bacobits

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 08:12:35 AM »
All righty then.
I'll try it and report back.
Thanks Rich!

D

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 06:46:49 AM »
THanks for the tips on free virus stuff.. I've been pretty lucky.. but I also never open attachments in forwarded emails.. People ask me all the time.. did you see that singing bear I sent you.. or whatever.. and I always say.. yeah, you sent me some email, thanks.  It's not worth the risk to open it.  Show it to me on YOUR computer, that's fine. ;)  I'd rather spend time with people in person anyway. 

I use Sophos and have for the past 5 years or so.. and I have 3 or 4 other people using it.. none of us have had issues.. it runs fast and is fairly tranparent.. other than when it gets updates... you'll notice that.  And you choose how often it does it.

Anyway, Sophos is the best I've ever used.  It's far from free but worth it in performance and simplicity.  They have a small business edition that allows you to install it on a server and update PC's in the network.. I have it but I just use the desktop version.  I probably pay too much... but I get premium support too.. Have a problem?  Just call and speak to someone, it's that easy.  Great for me.

Norton and McAffee are some of the worst software I've ever seen.  They must be the people that got fired when MS Millenium was launched. ;)  You need a PC on its own to run that stuff.  Oh, you want to open a Word document?  Are you nuts?  Norton's running! hahaha..

-C

I really enjoy listening to music.