Group Therapy > NC Triangulation

August 3 @ richidoo's

<< < (8/8)

richidoo:

--- Quote from: djdube525 on August 05, 2013, 04:28:58 AM ---If it is new(ish), I was wondering what other enhancements Sol added along the way.

--- End quote ---

He recently added a preamp stage, which allowed him to change the output stage to virtually eliminate any crossing distortion at full power. It is a class A soul in a class AB body. The detail is unbelievable, the bass is unbelievable, using output transistors that are famous for great sound but tricky to work with, he finally tamed them with his new feedback design. Treble is as natural as any tube amp, but cleaner. No trace of metallic treble overtones as with typical budget SS amps. Class D type, rock-hard bass with very low output impedance, but none of that class D bat repellent screech, because it's linear.  It has come a long way in 5 years since I first heard it.

mdconnelly:
I'm so sorry I couldn't be there.  I am quite interested in Sol's amp as well.  Since trading out my Aerial 10Ts for a pair of Von Schweikert VR-35s, the need for my high-powered McCormack DNA-500 is far less.  That and the fact that the DNA-500 is big and hot are reasons that I'm thinking it may be time to move on.

What's the final power specs on Sol's amp.  It seems like an early post indicated 60w/8ohm.   Is that still the case?  Not sure how that'll do on the Von Schweikerts (but I'll be Shane knows ;-)

richidoo:
We'll have to consult together to pick a date for the next one.

The i60 is 60W>8R, and 120W>4. That's Sol Watts, which means both channels driven, continuously. Peak power is higher and there is output protection circuit.

PCBs are under way for i15 and i60. But he might build a p2p version for you in the meantime. You have his email?

You can probably borrow the prototype to see if it fits.

mdconnelly:

--- Quote from: richidoo on August 06, 2013, 01:26:31 PM ---We'll have to consult together to pick a date for the next one.

The i60 is 60W>8R, and 120W>4. That's Sol Watts, which means both channels driven, continuously. Peak power is higher and there is output protection circuit.

PCBs are under way for i15 and i60. But he might build a p2p version for you in the meantime. You have his email?

You can probably borrow the prototype to see if it fits.

--- End quote ---

Rich, my house is going through major remodeling so my nervosa is peaking with little way to satisfy.  I figure it'll be at least another month or more before I'm ready to give anything a serious listen but I'll be in touch and will track down Sol at that time.

It would be great to hear what it will do with the VR-35 speakers.  They're certainly more efficient than my Aerial 10Ts were but they seem to enjoy power to get moving.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version