Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3026204 times)

eleazar

Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #2865 on: May 07, 2011, 04:30:34 AM »
Robert Cray: Strong Persuader

LP

Tom if it wasn't for you I wouldn't recognize anything posted most of the time  :rofl:

I guess that's not bad, but they have not been checked and no guarantee that they'll play. Are the crack house discs guaranteed to play? Are the cleaned?

I wouldn't even think about returning a $1 lp but $5 dollars and up I would and have. I bought a CSNY Deja Vu
I think it was 180 gram and sound to me was so horrendous I returned it with no problems. I buy quite a bit from him and I don't know if he would do the same if you only came in occasionally. As you may or may not know I have a cot set in the back for weekends to save gas so I don't have to make 2 trips on the same weekend :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:..............Bill

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2866 on: May 07, 2011, 06:12:40 AM »
here's a couple I enjoyed from my local crack shack. .99 and 1.99 for the pristine condition Carla Bley

both of these cleaned up well and were good recordings.
No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2867 on: May 07, 2011, 06:56:27 AM »

Tom if it wasn't for you I wouldn't recognize anything posted most of the time  :rofl:

And from my point of view that is not necessarily a bad thing. The best thing about this forum is the exchange of new info and ideas amongst ourselves.  There is so much good music out there that nobody can know it all and we each come to the table with different likes and experiences to share. I have expanded the width and depth of what I listen to more in the last year than I had in the previous 10. We all tend to get into our musical comfort zone and end up buying more and more of basically the same type of stuff, which is OK, but there is such a huge world of musical goodies out there if you just have some help wading through it. Based on discussions had here I have ventured into all kinds of area that I never would have looked at on my own (of course having the ability to score things at the Crack house for under a buck or the library for free make this experimenting a lot easier - I don't think I would have been so free to experiment for $16+ per album at retail.) Thanks to Jerome I have been turned on to some of the musical gems from ABC Command records which I never really took seriously before because I always though of them as just the Enoch Light label and Arthur Rubinstein, whom while I recognized as one of the heavyweights of piano, never really listened to seriously in the past (in fact I never really listened to a whole piano music as a whole, which I have found to be very relaxing during some of our more stressful moments at home, so there is even another avenue opened to me.) Jerome recently commented that he think he may soon shift his listening focus back to jazz for a while. I for one can't wait. If his knowledge of jazz is half as deep as his knowledge of classical we are in for a fun ride!  8)

And speaking of jazz through a lot of the discussions we had hear I also got turned on to some of the early treasures of the Blue Note catalog. Again here is a bunch of stuff that I never actively avoided for any reason, but I never was compelled to pick up either. Boy, was I missing a whole bunch of good stuff. And probably would have continued walking right past it if it was not for the discussions on this forum.

These are just two example of things I learned through posting here. There are plenty more. So I agree with you Bill, there aren't a whole lot of things posted here that I recognize and to me, that's a great thing.

Thanks to all you guys for sharing.

Tom

PS - I'll be off in a little while for a trip to the Crack House, only this time to drop things off. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Before you panic, the drop-offs will be surplus clothes and household items for them to sell in other parts of the store. We have a good friend whose wife passed away from Lupus and profits from the store go to the Lupus foundation so we try to support them when we can. (in ways other than my purchases.  :roll:)
But since I'll be there anyway......... 8-[
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2868 on: May 07, 2011, 07:39:37 AM »

Nyco- Realize

Smart pop. Reminds me of a latter day American Squeeze.  Their music has been featured on numerous national ads.  Great hooks and musicianship.

Got this CD at my own annual version of the Crackhouse.  Every year the Columbia Art Museum hosts a record show featuring vendors from around the country.  y favorite vendor, however, is the University of South Carolina radio station, which sells its overages of the plethora of promo CDs it receives, usually for $5.00/shopping bag.  In almost all cases, I have no idea what I'm buying, but without fail I end up with half a dozen unknown gems and the adventure of discovery going through the bounty.  Plus, my donation helps keep college radio alive and flourishing. It's a win-win.

This album is definitely one of the gems.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2869 on: May 07, 2011, 07:47:51 AM »
I like pop, but not stupid pop. I put Nyco in Pandora, hopefully some tracks from Realize will come up. Thanks for the tip Allen

jsaliga

« Reply #2870 on: May 07, 2011, 10:06:30 AM »

I finally got around to getting this Tchaikovsky 4th from Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra.  Rather than order it on SACD from Amazon I bought it from HD Tracks as a 24/88.2 FLAC download.  I like the performance and appreciate what Fischer was doing with the orchestra but I had a real problem with the recording.  The violins in particular sounded so distant that they failed to carry the powerful emotional content of this masterpiece to the listener.  The horns, on the other hand, overpower the soundstage.  The recording is a bit bass heavy and lacks air in the treble.  I consider this to be a good performance that is severely held back by the unbalanced sonics.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 12:16:54 PM by jsaliga »

jsaliga

« Reply #2871 on: May 07, 2011, 12:37:30 PM »

Excellent recording!  Also purchased from HD Tracks.

--Jerome

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2872 on: May 07, 2011, 12:44:25 PM »

Excellent recording!  Also purchased from HD Tracks.

--Jerome

Looks like you're getting ready for that music server. 8)

Hey at least you know when the file from HD Tracks shows up it won't be all scratched and beat up.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 02:57:57 PM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #2873 on: May 07, 2011, 12:59:34 PM »
I'm hoping that I'll be able to find a seller on eBay who will digitally add the scratches for a nominal fee.

--Jerome  

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2874 on: May 07, 2011, 01:50:20 PM »
Excellent recording! 

I second that! "Dance of the Tumblers" is a classic audiophile test track. It'll tell you everything about a system that you need to know.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2875 on: May 07, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »

Heavy rotation

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2876 on: May 07, 2011, 02:46:53 PM »
BEETHOVEN VIOLIN CONCERTO HEIFETZ MUNCH
Boston Symphony Orchestra, Charles Munch Jascha Heifetz- violin
vinyl

Looks like I bought 2 of these the other day, hope I like it.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2877 on: May 07, 2011, 03:06:23 PM »
BEETHOVEN VIOLIN CONCERTO HEIFETZ MUNCH
Boston Symphony Orchestra, Charles Munch Jascha Heifetz- violin
vinyl

Ya know Gene, I've been known to mistakenly buy a second copy of something I already owned, but on the same day:duh  :rofl:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2878 on: May 07, 2011, 03:45:58 PM »

I'll give you 99 cents for it. ;)  (plus shipping)  :rofl:

jsaliga

« Reply #2879 on: May 07, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »

--Jerome