Author Topic: An experiment  (Read 18499 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: An experiment
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2007, 05:13:50 PM »
You certainly deserve the business. you have shown on this forum that the free advice you give has NO AGENDA. Your professtional advice even helped me out, thank you. keep up the good work and the best for your business.

Rich you scored here. Have fun.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2007, 05:28:08 PM »
Lots of audiophile GIKkers buy from them because of Bryan's patience and helpful advice over the years. After a month of email tag with another company who sells this stuff but wouldn't give me straight answers unless I called on the phone which I could never remember to do, I almost fell out of my chair when I found it displayed plainly with prices on Bryans site.  My plans for acoustic experiments are starting to get a little wild, so I'm glad I can buy raw absorption without the industry rituals and BS, like explaining what it's for before I can get a price, plus I like keeping the money at home (on AN). :)
Rich

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 05:52:11 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I've been an audio nut for years.  Tough to have to hang on forums and help people learn what I learned the hard way.  I do it because I enjoy it - and I learn things from other people too.

Oh, and by the way, some of the things on the site are priced the way they are because they're dictated minimums by the manufacturer.  I list them as 'single piece pricing'.  I offer discounts for quantity and for people on the forums I hang on.

That's about as much sales pitch as you'll get from me. :-#

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2007, 03:02:28 PM »
Latest installment:

I built a little "house" out of acoustic panels, big enough to sit entirely inside it. I put it where it can remain standing for a while. Same parts, Infinity Entra 1 speakers, Cary SLI-80, home depot speaker wire, grovers white, SB3 running Inguz EQ plugin. I have to sit on the floor, because a 18" chair seat makes me too tall to fit inside the 48" ceiling. Still looking for well padded 10" chair.  :lol: Maybe the bucket again???

The sound has taken another step forward, being in a larger volume there is less boomy bass, and more distance for the drivers to merge. EQing a little with Inguz dials it in nicely. I have never heard such a deep soundstage - at least in the center of the image. Sounds panned to the sides get magnetized into the speakers, I think due to their mid fi pedigree. The tweeter is a tough cookie to crack. I have some of the buzz knocked out of it with EQ, but there is no doubt it was designed for a larger space, and $150 price point. ;) It needs more distance than 18". Midrange sounds are awesome, very addictive.

I highly recommend tinkering with the Inguz EQ plugin, even if you don't use its room correction function, I haven't tried that yet. The plugin is very useful and I could hear no artifacts of processing, even in the electron microscope den of silence. It has "width" "balance" "quietness" and 6 parametric EQs. The only thing missing is Q adjustment for the EQs, but that would be asking a bit much. Nice job Hugh! It takes about 5-15 seconds for the EQ changes to kick in. Maybe a more powerful PC or more RAM would speed it up? I use P4 2.66GHz 333bus, 512RAM. With the slow response it helps to know how to EQ or else it will take some time to tweak. EQs can be saved as presets. Sonos can't do this!

The weirdest thing about this experiment is to listen to something with a huge ambient soundstage and "get into" the space, get totally convinced that you are there. Then after it is done, clap my hands to hear the real acoustic I am sitting inside of is totally dead, that is a mental shocker. I feel no need for more room ambience whatsoever.

I also like listening to the outside sounds in the silence between songs. Kids fighting, AC blowing, it is all 50dB down. But how do I fit my Legacys in there? haha   Ventilation is also an issue.

http://www.parkwestlake.com/nopw/rich/anechoic2/DSC_7981.jpg
http://www.parkwestlake.com/nopw/rich/anechoic2/DSC_7982.jpg
http://www.parkwestlake.com/nopw/rich/anechoic2/DSC_7983.jpg
http://www.parkwestlake.com/nopw/rich/anechoic2/DSC_7984.jpg

Rich