Author Topic: ASC products  (Read 14654 times)

Offline mca

• Certifiable
ASC products
« on: March 23, 2007, 11:46:55 AM »
Anyone here a user of ASC products? They just got a great new review at Positive-Feedback.

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue30/asc.htm

I see they have a 20" diameter tube trap that is good down to 30hz.

With the ongoing problems I am having with the massive bass suckout in my room, I am seriously contemplating contacting my local dealer to see what they might suggest to help me out.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
ASC products
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 12:24:05 PM »
Have you scanned the room for frequency response at your listening position? This is a good way to see what is really going on before you start spending money. There is free software online to do this with a computer soundcard: RoomEQ Wizard
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

Moving the speakers out from the front wall from 3 feet to 4 feet really helped my overall sound too. :) This changed the whole bass sound due to bass echoing off the front wall. Other frequencies benefited too. I thought my wife would yell, "BACK!" when she saw them farther into the living room, but she enjoys the system too.

Bryan P gave me good advice on another forum. And I didn't even know he was a true audiophile then... The GIK products he recommended are extremely powerful.

I also installed 8th Nerve Adapt which made the room sound great without losing any feel of openness or ambience. I have not yet measured the room again to know how well all this actually helped in the bass freqs, but they solved all of the problems that were bothering me. Not cheap, but it does work, I highly recommend Adapt stuff.
Rich

Offline mca

• Certifiable
ASC products
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 12:54:56 PM »
I have not measured the frequency response of my room as of yet. I will have to take a look at the program you mentioned. Right now, I have about 18 GIK panels from the 2" thick to a couple of the monster traps. I have tried them in every possible location around the room without a whole lot of success.

I have also played with speaker positioning and listener position in just about every combo I can think of. Last week, I tried moving the whole system against the long wall. while there was a bit more bass, there were a host of other problems it created.

So I have been trying, just running out of ideas with what I've got.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
ASC products
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 01:38:07 PM »
We'll get it going.  I'll guarantee you that the Monsters will do as much or more down low than the ASC's.  Do you have the new Piega's?

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

miklorsmith

ASC products
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 03:23:45 PM »
I'll bring the sledgehammers.  We need to knock the walls down and start over.  No price is too high for Big Bass.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
ASC products
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 04:11:47 PM »
About a week to go until the Piegas arrive.

I would be happy with just a *little* bass at this point!

miklorsmith

ASC products
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 07:41:55 AM »
How about a pair of the new SP Tech Infrasubs.  115 db at 20 hz or something ridiculous like that.  A black hole couldn't suck out all that bass!

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
ASC products
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 07:44:27 AM »
I keep getting this sinking feeling that there is something else going on here.  While the Adagios may not be the ultimate in bass and your room is good size, you shouldn't be THAT bass shy.  

Just out of curiosity, have you tried to borrow a gutsy solid state amp?  The Bella is nice, don't get me wrong, I'm just wondering if there's a mismatch going on here.

Bryan

miklorsmith

ASC products
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 07:48:20 AM »
We did try my Signature 70s.  It isn't just the Adagios, every other speaker has had the same problem.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
ASC products
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 08:34:19 AM »
The Piega's will appreciate plentiful power but I'm pretty sure mca is working on the amplification issue...
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
ASC products
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 10:17:01 AM »
Fair enough - it was just gnawing at me that it may not be TOTALLY a room issue.  

If you want to work through this, let me know and I'll be happy to step through the analysis with you to get this resolved.

Bryan

Offline mca

• Certifiable
ASC products
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 04:57:26 PM »
Like Mike said, I have had a ton of speakers through that room. Gallos, RM30s, Big Ushers and a bunch of others. I also used a Butler 2250 and a Musical Fidelity A5 amp in the past.

I do have plans for a larger amp in the future. Van Alstine, Moscode or maybe a Macintosh.

I'll call you again Bryan when I get some time to work on things again. My speakers should be here in about a week, so it will probably be after they arrive.

Now I just need to get my other speakers sold  :D

Offline Rob Babcock

• Seeking Help
ASC products
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 10:48:44 PM »
I've never heard an ASC product, but the reviews are consistently good.  Not very competitively priced vs GIK or RealTraps, though.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
ASC products
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 04:56:10 PM »
Yes, they are pretty spendy. I was intrigued though by the big 20" diameter tube trap that is said to be good down to 30hz.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
ASC products
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 02:33:50 PM »
Quote from: "mca"
About a week to go until the Piegas arrive.

I would be happy with just a *little* bass at this point!

Well?  What the heck happened?  I've been waiting for you to get these and say everything went OK... I know you must be turning blue by now. ;)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.