Author Topic: Demagnetizing  (Read 10579 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Demagnetizing
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2020, 08:24:02 AM »
  So obviously over time we build up magnetism in our components. If we UNPLUG them for several days will not the magnetism wear off ? How long can a piece of metal stay magnetized ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2020, 02:03:03 PM »
From what I can glean from the scientific literature on magnetism only ferromagnetic materials can be magnetized. They require a constant magnetic field from a permanent magnet or a magnetic field from a constant non-fluctuating DC power source. Brass, copper and other non-magnetic materials will not be readily magnetized by a low level musical signal as is found in the circuitry of small signal devices up stream of a power amp.
I would be very reluctant to attempt to deguass any small signal circuitry due to the possibility of damage due induced currents of greater amperage than the device or circuit was designed to handle. This damage would be analogous to the type of damage seen from EMP which tends to fry things that are not hardened in some way.
As far as how long something might remain magnetized, I have screw drivers that I magnetized with a permanent magnet years ago and they are still magnetized.
Scotty

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2020, 08:53:03 AM »
  Thanks Scotty.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2020, 07:03:45 AM »
There has always been controversy about degaussing phono cartridges for the reasons you state above Scotty. They are delicate instruments with a magnetic field and very small tolerances. The possibility of screwing them up far outweighs any suspected benefits IMO.

As for demagnitizing CD's or vinyl records, I've tried it and heard nothing different. Logically it would make sense that it shouldn't have any effect, but then we all know that logic isn't always correct in audio, and we also know there is a lot of snake oil out there too. YMMV.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 04:27:40 PM »
There has always been controversy about degaussing phono cartridges for the reasons you state above Scotty. They are delicate instruments with a magnetic field and very small tolerances. The possibility of screwing them up far outweighs any suspected benefits IMO.

As for demagnitizing CD's or vinyl records, I've tried it and heard nothing different. Logically it would make sense that it shouldn't have any effect, but then we all know that logic isn't always correct in audio, and we also know there is a lot of snake oil out there too. YMMV.
Stay tuned about the CD thing...
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe