Author Topic: Fritz Carrera 7 BE or Ohm Walsh 2000 speakers  (Read 32419 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Fritz Carrera 7 BE or Ohm Walsh 2000 speakers
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 09:44:57 PM »
Nick, You already have a pair of KEF's so you know the good and the bad.  There is a pair of Soundfield SAM-1 for sale at AC at a very good price.  Personally, I think AJ in FL did a much better job with his crossover than KEF did with the same driver.  Don't know what they weigh, but I've not heard a Fritz or Harbeth type speaker that comes close to the realism and soundstage of the SAM-1.   I really wish I had a place for them.  They were by far the best sound under $2500 at a Lone Star Audio Fest several years back.  I don't remember any of the issues you mentioned with your 50's, and I Danny Richie and I spent a good 45 minutes in AJ's untreated room after hours.

I was just on AC and found them. It’s a great price at $650 and I would have bought them immediately. But they are powered.... I like my ICE1200as amp and I’m close to reviving my vinyl setup.
The KEFs are good and my criticism is just an obvious lack of bass and some occasional harshness on violins, female vocals.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 10:05:47 PM »
I have no idea if he's not making stuff now. He's responsive to emails is my experience. He's also very well respected by people in the industry like Danny Richie. But whatever, they're too heavy.

tmazz are you talking about Ohm speakers?

Yes, I was discussing the Ohm display at last years Capital Audio Fest. Unfortunately I did not pay much attention to which model it was since I was so unimpressed with them, but as I said I have a feeling that my impression had more to do with how they were presented than it did with what they are capable of.

However this year, since I know that Nick has an interest in them I will pay more attention at the Ohm display so I can give him so critical feedback.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 10:06:36 PM »
Nick

If your interest is in the Revelator woofer you have two choices in Fritz's lineup that are basically the same speaker with that driver in the same cabinet with the difference being either the Be tweeter or the Scan Speak Illuminator tweeter with the changes to the crossover changing the tweeter would require.  If you have a genuine interest in Fritz's speakers it is well worth it to give him a call and just talk to him but make your you set aside time because he loves to talk audio and gear of all types.  I have had a pair of Carrera Be's in house for just under a month and they work for me but the other option may work better for you.  He will be happy to let you try a pair for 30 days and if you don't like them then just pay the return shipping. Another option if you are trying to avoid subs is the Buchardt S-400.  The bass response out of that little box was truly amazing in my demo of them.

Jack,
I should’ve mentioned that I spoke with Fritz on Saturday. Very nice and helpful guy. We discussed my gear, listening habits, etc. The Revelator driver isn’t a necessity for me. I mentioned it because I’d read up on it a bit with positive comments. Interestingly enough, the Buchardt woofer is based on and supposedly an improved version of the Revelator. Fritz and I only discussed the Carrerra
BE 7 as that’s the only model I asked about. I’d get it for a good price as well.
I have looked into the Buchardt S400s a few months ago and was offered a trial. They’re in Denmark and I was very hesitant to pull the plug because of that. The 400s have a waveguide design just like my current LS 50s and my SP Tech Timepieces before that. Based on the reviews including YouTube, I’m still curious about them.
Nick
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 03:06:36 PM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 10:25:02 PM »
Nick

I spoke to him Saturday too but only for a few minutes as he and his girlfriend were heading out to "Wine Country."  I've got the Carrera Be's playing now as I type and they have plenty of the bass response you are looking for if I turn the two Rythmik subwoofers off.  I had a small amount of top end siblance with them using the Mivera Purepower (1200AS) amp but I had it paired with the W4S STP-SE preamp which basically let's the character of the amp come through and I have found that the 1200AS based amp can be ruthless on top if the recording warrants it.  Yesterday I replaced the Mivera with the Nord (NC500) amp with the Sparkos op amp buffer board and the sibilance went away.  Since you have a tube preamp in front of your amp you would probably get the same result I got from the amp change. But if you are worried about it you could try the Rev 7 SE which substitutes the Scan Speak tweeter instead of the Be tweeter and be sure.

With the Buchardt you will be out nothing for the trial but they need a long break-in and as Srajen said in his review like to be played loud.  So you can try them both and find out.  I've also owned the Nola Boxer and the Carrera is an entirely different level of speaker.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 11:16:32 PM »
Nick

I spoke to him Saturday too but only for a few minutes as he and his girlfriend were heading out to "Wine Country."  I've got the Carrera Be's playing now as I type and they have plenty of the bass response you are looking for if I turn the two Rythmik subwoofers off.  I had a small amount of top end siblance with them using the Mivera Purepower (1200AS) amp but I had it paired with the W4S STP-SE preamp which basically let's the character of the amp come through and I have found that the 1200AS based amp can be ruthless on top if the recording warrants it.  Yesterday I replaced the Mivera with the Nord (NC500) amp with the Sparkos op amp buffer board and the sibilance went away.  Since you have a tube preamp in front of your amp you would probably get the same result I got from the amp change. But if you are worried about it you could try the Rev 7 SE which substitutes the Scan Speak tweeter instead of the Be tweeter and be sure.

With the Buchardt you will be out nothing for the trial but they need a long break-in and as Srajen said in his review like to be played loud.  So you can try them both and find out.  I've also owned the Nola Boxer and the Carrera is an entirely different level of speaker.

Hmmm...the 1200as amp you say  :roll: Sure, it could be based on your comments. I know Richidoo loved that amp when he frequented these parts. As a side note, I followed some of the Mivera saga over at AC... Too bad as he seemed like a talented designer. Jack, the amp is a variable I don’t even want to consider :( With any speaker other than the Buchardts I’d be able to tell pretty quickly. Those S 400s require lots of break in and four weeks can go by pretty quickly if so many hours are required. My Antelope Gold dac took ages to break in. I’ve received many helpful comments on this thread and will ponder for a while. 
Nick

JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 07:42:43 AM »
 As a Fritz dealer I am prejudiced about Fritz. We love them. The Carrera BE has a wonderful synergy with Audio Hungary gear. Either the A20i, A50i integrated or the APR 204 preamp and APX 200 amp..
 The tweeter of the Carrera BE is not hot or sibilant. That is caused by downstream components. The Carrera is easy to place in ones room as well. For the money hard to beat.

charles
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 07:44:38 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 07:37:49 PM »
I spoke with Charles recently and with Fritz again over the weekend. I decided on the Carreras today in the walnut finish. The Fritz line is well respected. Charles has experience with the Fritz and Audio Hungary combination and Jack’s comments swayed me as well. They’ll ship tomorrow and I’ll post my impressions afterwards.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 07:52:43 PM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 08:06:50 PM »
Excellent!

AS it happens, Fritz called me yesterday while I was too busy to chat. Then, I called him back (but he was too busy to chat), and left a message answering his question followed by my telling him I want to demo his Carreras next year once I've settled back into life in Oregon.

I'm all eyes, Nick.  :shock:
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 08:30:28 PM »
Nice, be fun to hear about them when you get them.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2019, 08:40:16 PM »
Excellent!

AS it happens, Fritz called me yesterday while I was too busy to chat. Then, I called him back (but he was too busy to chat), and left a message answering his question followed by my telling him I want to demo his Carreras next year once I've settled back into life in Oregon.

I'm all eyes, Nick.  :shock:

Michael,
I think they’ll be excellent. Shipping via FedEx from No California to So Utah.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2019, 08:47:03 PM »
Congrats Nick, I think you'll love them and the more hours on them the better.  Mine are at around 400+ hours and they have really opened up.  I moved them yesterday from the large Family Room into the more appropriately sized dedicated room in place of the Otello's.  They really sing with with BHK tubed preamp and hybrid amp.  I've got the Rythmik F12's crossed at 45 hz and connected speaker level to catch that last bit of the bottom end though they don't really need them. 
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2019, 09:05:30 PM »
Congrats Nick, I think you'll love them and the more hours on them the better.  Mine are at around 400+ hours and they have really opened up.  I moved them yesterday from the large Family Room into the more appropriately sized dedicated room in place of the Otello's.  They really sing with with BHK tubed preamp and hybrid amp.  I've got the Rythmik F12's crossed at 45 hz and connected speaker level to catch that last bit of the bottom end though they don't really need them.

Thanks, Jack. Fritz was going to put 100 hours on them for me, but getting them now works better for me. Have family coming here for Thanksgiving and then traveling to So California for Christmas. Fritz reminded me about your comments regarding my 1200as2 amp and I read your comments again. So I might be thinking about an amp...or integrated...as well.
You are digging deep with those Rythmiks  :thumb:
Nick
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:07:59 PM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2019, 09:32:37 PM »
Nick

You might be fine with the 1200as amp since you have two tubed components in front of it.  I was using the Mivera with both a SS DAC and preamp.  The Audia Flight integrated has that left of neutral Luxman style sound so a better fit at least to me.  What might work for not a lot is an Odyssey Khartago which is also left of neutral. Problem with that is that unless one shows up used Klaus is months behind.  Another option though might be the AVA SET 120 and you have a 30 day trial period.
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2019, 10:08:09 PM »
Nick

You might be fine with the 1200as amp since you have two tubed components in front of it.  I was using the Mivera with both a SS DAC and preamp.  The Audia Flight integrated has that left of neutral Luxman style sound so a better fit at least to me.  What might work for not a lot is an Odyssey Khartago which is also left of neutral. Problem with that is that unless one shows up used Klaus is months behind.  Another option though might be the AVA SET 120 and you have a 30 day trial period.

Jack,
I’m guessing that I’ll have a pretty good idea on the Fritzes after 50 hours. It’s also nice to have the power of that ICE amp. I’ve followed Klaus and Frank via the AC forum. The first thing about an AVA amp is would it resolve well enough? As to Klaus being way behind....yes, I’ve heard. I’m actually curious about an Audio Hungary amp or integrated and just sent them an email. It’s been over 30 years since I’ve owned a tube amp and the only ones were the VAC 90 monos and the Roger Mojeski RM 9. I do remember nearly frying a tube on the VAC as it was manual biasing. But it survived  :duh
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2019, 11:18:39 PM »
Nick

As it turns out the RM-9 might be a perfect amp for the Carrera's but they are no longer. An alternative might be the Rogue ST-100.  I had one and it was a great sounding amp but with the temperatures in Florida I couldn't tolerate the heat it put out. I have an RM-10 here which outputs 35 wpc which I haven't tried so I don't know if that is enough power or not.  As to the AVA SET series amps you might want to check with Larry on AC as he has tried both the 120 and 400 with his Maggies and see what he thinks.  Frank and two reviewers from Audiophillia are using the SET amps with the Alta Audio Celesta FRM monitors which are among the most resolving on the market with stellar results.  My personal opinion is that unless you are listening to the likes of Dianna Krall, Anne Bisson, etc. at lower volumes then the Carrera's need power.  It's kind of like the Spatial's.
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S