Author Topic: Component rack - DIY or buy?  (Read 23494 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Component rack - DIY or buy?
« on: May 10, 2007, 08:57:19 AM »
I started down the path of wanting to design and build a component rack that would compete with the $1k racks on the market, hoping to build it for far less.   I liked the fully adjustable concept of the Mapleshade Samson racks.  

Unfortunately, as I compiled the cost of the shelves and related hardware, it became obvious that it wasn't going to be cheap - likely still well over $500 for a 4 shelf rack.  Given that price, buying may be the better option.

The 3 racks I've investigated that are in the <$1k range include:

1) Mapleshade Samson: http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/samson1.php

2) Adona - modular or fixed: http://www.adonacorporation.com/products.html

3) Apollo Aria: modular http://www.apollohifi.co.uk/modular.htm

The Adona is an interesting and beautiful design - but at the top of my price range - 4 shelf version just over $1k.

Turns out the Apollo Aria is quite affordable (4 shelf around $600).  I've also seen posts where they replaced the MDF shelves with Neuance shelves with the Aria (i.e. room to improve later).

So... I'm looking for advice and ideas.    Cheap is good (more $$ for future component upgrades ;-).    What's under your components?

miklorsmith

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 09:15:55 AM »
I'm using a couple of Salamader racks from Audio Advisor and love them.  They're burly, incredibly configurable, nice to look at and within your range.  Add them to the list of possibilities.

I got the maple finish with steel mesh side panels and doors.  The mesh is very cool, as you can somewhat see the components through but they're not staring at you.  Remotes can see threough the mesh too.

I got casters for the main rack and put some ceramic tiles on top of the carpet.  I can roll the rack away from the wall to get to the guts, then roll it back tight for normal usage - it's a slick system.

Good luck!

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 09:32:06 AM »
Although not as structurally rigid as a welded rack...I have made several DIY 'racks' for my audio system and HT systems.

If you have any wood working tools, or access to someone who does, then you can make yourself some racks very inexpensively.

Just make your choice of shelf material (wood of course)...plywood, mdf, solid, etc. Decide what dimensions that you need, then cut your shelves to size. Stop by your local hardware center and pick up 4 pieces of 3/4" threaded rod...in whatever height you want you rack(s) to be, also get a box of 3/4" nuts. Now just drill 3/4 " holes (or slightly larger) in each corner. Put whatever finish you want on your shelves, then assemble by putting a nut on each rod...one rod in each corner...place another nut to hold/clamp the shelf...repeat process for as my shelves as you have.

You should be able to build a reasonably sturdy rack for under $100...cheap enough  :D !
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 09:52:58 AM »
Have a look at the ZRACK from Decware. It appears to be available in a (5) shelf only..but has a 42" high option. Nice look and available with different wood tones. (can't link it; but go to www.decware.com and you will find it under 'tube gear' if you scroll down)

I use a SolidSteel 5.4 series which is available from MusicDirect. Click on Solid Steel under 'shop by brand'.
www.musicdirect.com

The Mapleshade is a real nice rack...

WEEZ

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 10:11:24 AM »
I got one of these from Standout Designs for about $1k. It had to look good in the living room where my system used to be, and it is gorgeous in cinammon maple stain. It is also incredibly well built, solid maple wood and the service from this company was perfect. The interior space is 19" wide so if you have tall tubey kids of components they will fill up the inside bays quickly. Regular rectangular box components can fit about 6 inside. But the advantage is the big flat top is great for TT, tube amps, whatever.

I was in Circuit City this morning looking for a high end tube preamp, :wink: and saw a huge collection of audio racks there. I'm sure they are geared towards style over substance, I didn't even take another glance except to notice how much floor space the were devoting to racks. Most were typical steel/glass type, probably very cheap, but some of them might even be welded and decent build. They also had some salamander shaped ones, but probably nowhere near as well built as the true salamanders which have aluminum channel frame. Those are really nice, and they are big enough to hold anything, even 23 inch deep HT receivers.

Just to stoke your nervosa about racks while you are in this vulnerable state, check out Grand Prix Audio.  :D

A zillion models of all prices viewable here: http://racksandstands.com/ but I never bought from them, so dunno....
Rich

WEEZ

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 11:48:29 AM »
Also, check out www.skylanstands.com

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
Re: Component rack - DIY or buy?
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 12:08:59 PM »
Although I have seen some people making their own racks, I bought a nice rack, all Aluminum with "X" framing from Audio Services Plus (the distributors of YBA and other in the US and Canada.)  This rack was dirt cheap, about $150-170?  I cannot remember clearly.  The pillars are heavy aluminum and although not really rack spacing adjustable, they provide space for about 4 components. 

This rack is really hi performance oriented and it does not really come with the "platforms."  The components are supposed to sit on 4 ball bearings that are placed on each "X" support. 

I ordered some custom cut 3/4" clear acrylic platforms and now have got a smashing rack for less than $300. 

At $150-170?  There is nothing out there that comes close to it.   :-P

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 01:57:24 PM »
Although I have seen some people making their own racks, I bought a nice rack, all Aluminum with "X" framing from Audio Services Plus (the distributors of YBA and other in the US and Canada.)  This rack was dirt cheap, about $150-170?  I cannot remember clearly.  The pillars are heavy aluminum and although not really rack spacing adjustable, they provide space for about 4 components. 

This rack is really hi performance oriented and it does not really come with the "platforms."  The components are supposed to sit on 4 ball bearings that are placed on each "X" support. 

I ordered some custom cut 3/4" clear acrylic platforms and now have got a smashing rack for less than $300. 

At $150-170?  There is nothing out there that comes close to it.   :-P

This the one Paul ?......Link.....

Bigfish8

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 04:42:09 PM »
I purchased my equipment racks, speaker stands and amp stands from Arnold Marr of Core Furniture.  Arnold is an audiophile and he is a first class guy to deal with.  All of the Core Furniture is produced from Black Walnut and it is really solid furniture.  Check it out at www.corefurniture.com   

Ken

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 05:28:19 PM »
I purchased my equipment racks, speaker stands and amp stands from Arnold Marr of Core Furniture.  Arnold is an audiophile and he is a first class guy to deal with.  All of the Core Furniture is produced from Black Walnut and it is really solid furniture.  Check it out at www.corefurniture.com   

Ken

Thanks, Ken.
Very nice stuff.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

LKdog

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 05:36:50 PM »
Although not as structurally rigid as a welded rack...I have made several DIY 'racks' for my audio system and HT systems.

If you have any wood working tools, or access to someone who does, then you can make yourself some racks very inexpensively.

Just make your choice of shelf material (wood of course)...plywood, mdf, solid, etc. Decide what dimensions that you need, then cut your shelves to size. Stop by your local hardware center and pick up 4 pieces of 3/4" threaded rod...in whatever height you want you rack(s) to be, also get a box of 3/4" nuts. Now just drill 3/4 " holes (or slightly larger) in each corner. Put whatever finish you want on your shelves, then assemble by putting a nut on each rod...one rod in each corner...place another nut to hold/clamp the shelf...repeat process for as my shelves as you have.

You should be able to build a reasonably sturdy rack for under $100...cheap enough  :D !

I have built a couple of these.
They work fantastic, are adjustable, rigid, and heavy as hell.
Love 'em.

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 07:06:20 PM »
 i bought a VTI BL404 modular steel rack with welded construction. the MDF shelves are black as well as the frames . the round tube legs are welded to the rectangular steel tubing of the frames.each shelf has a set of four spikes on the bottom. the legs have matte silver nickel metal end caps top and bottom with divots on the tops to accept the adjustable spikes from the bottom of the legs. my rack was originaly a four shelf unit with one 9" and three 7" modular units stacked on top of each other. the modular design allowed me to buy a Additional 9" and 7" shelf and expand my rack capacity to six shelves. the legs can also be filled with sand or lead shot.
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline Woodsyi

• Seeking Help
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 12:21:41 PM »
Dave here did everything DIY.  He gave me the source for it but I forgot. I use Adona and he told me he borrowed the idea from Adona.  I am sure he will be glad to give you his source if you contact him through AC -- I don't know if he signed up here yet.

BTW,  I like my Adona racks fine and Paul is a pleasure to deal with  -- I went to his home to save shipping and he had no problem with that. 
I am a nut.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 05:25:45 PM »
Dave here did everything DIY.  He gave me the source for it but I forgot. I use Adona and he told me he borrowed the idea from Adona.  I am sure he will be glad to give you his source if you contact him through AC -- I don't know if he signed up here yet.

BTW,  I like my Adona racks fine and Paul is a pleasure to deal with  -- I went to his home to save shipping and he had no problem with that. 

I logged into AC to see those photos... very nice looking racks! :)

So you know... AC does not allow posting of images from their gallery in other places... that's why it just shows up as a banner here.

-Carl

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Woodsyi

• Seeking Help
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 05:17:07 AM »
Carl,

You don't see the image?   :shock:  I get the picture right in the posts -- both in mine and your quote of it. 
I am a nut.