Author Topic: Phono stage advice and opinions needed...  (Read 7928 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Phono stage advice and opinions needed...
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 06:23:19 AM »
Still a bit out of my league but thanks for the suggestion. 

Any opinions on the Moon products?  I've always liked the sound of their stuff overall.
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 06:57:53 PM »
this looks interesting, if a bit unconventional.  but. i'd want a 30 day trial listen...

http://parksaudiollc.com
https://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/parks_audio_puffin_e.html

note the reviewer said it gave up nothing to his two 3-times more expensive phono stages he normally uses.
and, i might want to wait a while, based on the email exchange i had w/mr parks - upgrade will be in the works soon:

q (moi):
hi!

interesting product!

a couple of questions:
- when are you going to include the spdif function as a factory option - at the same 96khz speed as the internal dac? (easy enough mod, but who wants 48khz when 96khz is there?)
- when are you going to go to 192khz (or higher; and also for the spdif out?)?
- when are you going to have a socket for the op-amp(s?) to allow for easy op-amp rolling?

thanks!

doug s.

(tho it appears that if you don't wanna do the easy spdif out mod, you can now get it already done for $100)

a (mr parks):
Thanks for the email, Doug. Happy to answer your questions:

- Hope to switch the 48kHz to 96kHz this fall. This will require a factory mod for in-service units, though the DIY mod at 48kHz will remain an option for those, too.
- No plans for leaving 96/24 at this time. Part of this is leaving the hardware alone as much as possible to focus on software development. Have some firmware upgrades coming this August (free for all Puffin owners) that will add some revolutionary functionality. The other part is that 96/24 is a sweet spot engineering-wise: solves the Nyquist and aliasing issues that 44.1kHz and 48kHz had, but permits much better (and efficient) DSP of the audio frequency band. This latter engineering bonus just isn't a part of the equation for those using digital as a transport mechanism only.
- No plans for a DIP socket.

Warm Regards,
Shannon Parks
www.parksaudiollc.com

doug s.

Yes, unconventional and quite interesting. Thanks, Doug
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 09:24:44 PM »
I'd try to buy a Salas phonostage. They come up for sale once in awhile.

Offline Folsom

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 09:37:28 AM »
I'm not saying to build it yourself.

You'd need a vastly bigger budget to find something like most of the builds.

Offline Folsom

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 11:07:52 AM »
Nice, already took a look!

It's feedbackless in a better way than PS Audio's new flagship phono. You can roll some nice caps, and most people use some good ones. It's got a bit of a following.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 01:19:18 PM »
Interesting piece - but...  Not sure why I would be going to analog only to have my phono pre convert to digital then back to analog???
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline mrubey

• Seeking Help
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2020, 09:50:30 PM »
If your looking for a mm phono stage check out the Decware ZP3. All tube, all point to point wiring. I had one for years. Loved it. $1300 new. Lifetime warranty. Decware is rarely mentioned but they know what they are doing. The real deal.
Cube Nenuphar, First Watt SIT3, The Truth linestage, Sutherland 20/20, VPI Classic 2, Soundsmith Paua, Ortofon 2M White SE mono, Triode Wire Labs full loom.

Offline mrubey

• Seeking Help
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2020, 06:29:10 AM »
Bummer. I've had similar experiences. But the guy didn't lie to me. He was just wrong.

steve deckert left a bad taste in my mouth quite a few years back, when he blatantly lied to me about how one of his low powered amps would do driving my hi-efficiency - but 14 ohm - speakers.  he said it would be great.  it totally sucked - full gain on my preamp wouldn't drive the 97db-efficient speakers to decent volume levels.  and i had two other 4wpc amps that would drive you out of the room if you got anywhere near full gain.

i'd rather not patronize  decware.  if you find something used, at 25% of retail, then maybe it'd be worth a try...

ymmv,

doug s.

If your looking for a mm phono stage check out the Decware ZP3. All tube, all point to point wiring. I had one for years. Loved it. $1300 new. Lifetime warranty. Decware is rarely mentioned but they know what they are doing. The real deal.
Cube Nenuphar, First Watt SIT3, The Truth linestage, Sutherland 20/20, VPI Classic 2, Soundsmith Paua, Ortofon 2M White SE mono, Triode Wire Labs full loom.

Offline mrubey

• Seeking Help
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2020, 10:45:35 AM »
I don't know. Im pretty sure he is self taught which infers certain limitations. People function within the box defined by their understanding. For most folks, not much exists outside of that. I was thinking that he could have wound you a tranny with 16 ohm taps. My only Decware product was the ZP3 which was wonderful.  But I do truly love my 20/20. Maybe I should have recommended a Sutherland KC Vibe, $895 or Insight $1400. Ron Sutherlands engineering chops are of a known and respected quality.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 03:13:48 AM by mrubey »

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2020, 08:47:13 AM »

Doug, I had a similar experience with a company that shall remain nameless. I had a question about the upper limit frequency range of their subs and when they told me I was suspicious. This was critical as the low end response of my OB speakers was limited. But because it was his sub I drank the kool aid. Sure enough  it was now where close to what was i was told. Look, you have to sell and buyer beware.

well...  in my case, i probably should have known better.  but his explanation sounded plausible.

his 4w amp was rated at 4 ohms.  i doubted it could drive my 14 ohm speakers very well, even tho rated 97db/1w.  (and my speakers were actively crossed over to subs at 80hz, making it an even easier load for an amp.)  he assured me that, tho his amp was rated at 4 ohms, that was to let folks know it could drive more difficult loads, and that it would be fine driving an easier load.

was he just wrong, or was he lying?  and, if he was wrong, what does that say about his engineering skills?  you be the judge.

doug s.

Bummer. I've had similar experiences. But the guy didn't lie to me. He was just wrong.

steve deckert left a bad taste in my mouth quite a few years back, when he blatantly lied to me about how one of his low powered amps would do driving my hi-efficiency - but 14 ohm - speakers.  he said it would be great.  it totally sucked - full gain on my preamp wouldn't drive the 97db-efficient speakers to decent volume levels.  and i had two other 4wpc amps that would drive you out of the room if you got anywhere near full gain.

i'd rather not patronize  decware.  if you find something used, at 25% of retail, then maybe it'd be worth a try...

ymmv,

doug s.

Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata