Author Topic: Giant Killer I/C's...???  (Read 16661 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Giant Killer I/C's...???
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 08:09:46 AM »
    Rich good call on the balanced IC. Going to pick some up very shortly to check out. Always wanted to try balanced from QOL to Amps. Cannot use from preamp as it is single ended only.

charles

That's my problem too - CD player is balanced, amp is balanced, preamp is not, so I can't go that route either. Well, it probably saved me a fortune in recabling too, so I guess I can live with it.

The question now is this. Will using balanced from QOL to Amps have any negative affect if using single ended from CDP to PRE and then to QOL ? Ground loops or anything ?
    Richidoo to the rescue.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 08:21:04 AM »
Well I have no doubt that "The Purple Wires" in xlr would totally their kick ass in a direct comparison, but ignorance is bliss to the cheapskate. They sound clear enough but more importantly they don't add anything like ring, smear or roll off like many low price wires do.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 09:49:53 AM »
Here's a strange observation for me...

When I switched to the Purple XLRs (JPS SC3) between amp and preamp, it was a very nice improvement over any pair of RCA ICs I had tried.  Nervosa to nirvana.

But here's the strange part... Just for giggles, I later tried a no-name brand of XLRs and, while leaving something behind, they sounded far better than I expected.  Much less of a difference than I've heard between various RCA ICs in the past.   Is there something about the balanced XLR topology that levels the playing field to a greater extent?  Hmmm...  Likely system (and hearing) dependent, but it made me a believer... once you go balanced, you don't go back.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 09:57:07 AM »
The one technical difference (though some say it doesn't matter) is that the RCA connector simply can't be 75 ohm due to the layout.  XLR can be 110 ohm as designed.

Realistically, the analog 75 ohm isn't that critical like it would be for digital and video.

If the equipment is truly balanced and not just having the connector, you also get a truer signal due to the ability to cancel signal differences between the + and - signal legs.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »
I believe also that in a true balanced topology there is a higher gain with XLR's, and a resulting drop in the noise floor. Plus the topology itself is inherently shielded against ablient RFI and EMR. That's why it is used for long microphone runs and concert monitors and such.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:59:31 PM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 12:50:37 PM »
Using the native I/O of the amplifier is the best choice, when possible, because conversion from one signal type to the other introduces problems.

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 01:02:45 PM »
I know Grover changes his cables a lot. But his latest, at lease from 2 months ago are very good. Well balanced and revealing! And always changing!!
Its cool ndude.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 07:05:13 PM »
The moving target of version-less cables makes it difficult to recommend Grover's cables.

There are several IC's under $100 that are good, but all seem to lack some resolution.  The JPS Ultraconductor 2's give up resolution in a way that seems to add musicality back into my system.  It relaxes me to listen with these cables rather than exciting me like when I listen with the SC3's.  For hundreds less, I prefer to lose a little resolution for the higher enjoyment of music.

If you're into the excitement, the SC3 is the answer.

On the XLR note, I have noticed less differences in cables than with single ended.  So, you might be onto something, Mike.  I have not compared extensively, though.  

Also, it seems half the XLR stuff I've had in my system over the years was 'fake XLR'... where an IC chip sent a signal the XLR connector.  I think my C-220 preamp did that.  

Rich put XLR's on my DAC (with volume control) so I can run all balanced since my amp is balanced... but I can't run a preamp then... so no tube warmth or image beautification. ;)

In any case, the direct connection is still quite lovely. I may go that way one day.
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 07:44:11 PM »
The best bang for the buck, IMO, are the DH Labs.
But when I decided to go for the best sound from my system its the JPS SC3.

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline JBNY

• Seeking Help
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 06:52:37 AM »
Yeah Balanced interconnects can really make a difference in some systems, much more so than regular RCA interconnects, this is due to the ability of a balance connection to cancel out and reject any noise that might somehow get mixed into the signal. Many times an inexpensive well made XLR interconnect will outperform a very expensive RCA connector. If you are looking for bang for the buck try XLR connectors you might be very surprised. Most equipment that has balanced connectors might not be truly balanced though, you have to ask the manufacture if that is the case, if not you can still get some benefit from the way the cable is constructed, but not the whole deal.

If you want to try out a inexpensive balanced cable try the Mogami Gold Studio XLR. It is a very neural cable, probably more so than you are used to if you play around with RCA cables to EQ your sound.

In the end trust your ears, not someone else's, and remember more expensive doesn't always equal better.
-Joe
Von Schweikert Speakers/Seismic Isolation Podiums
W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp/SST SOA2 Amp
Roon Core i7NUC/Synology 52TB NAS
Matrix X-SABRE PRO (MQA) DAC/Pi4 Ropieee
Pass Labs X-17 Phono/OL Resolution MK4 TT/Conqueror MK3c/Kiseki PH
Equi=core 1800 Balance

Offline richidoo

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 09:47:47 AM »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 08:55:41 AM »
OK good microphone wire based balanced ICs will give any exotic cable single ended cable a run for the money.
   I believe mdconnelly hit on something here.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 11:03:22 AM »
Mic wire is designed for audio freqs, whereas some of the coax ICs (like Belden wire used in Blue Jeans) are optimized for RF and don't sound as good as audio-intended wires to me. If you like the pro audio balanced mic cable, just don't ruin it by trying high end balanced cables.  :rofl: