Author Topic: Meet the Magnetar speaker  (Read 4325 times)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Meet the Magnetar speaker
« on: November 24, 2019, 04:34:25 AM »
The next generation open baffle planar speaker begins. Meet the Magnetar open baffle planar wide range speaker.

Have been working with a new push-pull planar driver that is designed for open baffle use. Using a test folded baffle design, and doing the digital crossover with the dspMusikLCD 2x8, this is the farfield response in my room with first reflections removed. Adding in some first reflections goes down to 200Hz for crossover to the 3x12" servo subs wing the Rythmik Audio HX300-12OB servo amp and GR-Research 12" OB servo subs..This is not a speaker sensitivity measurement calibrated to 2.83V output.

The frequency response is +/-2dB form 300Hz to 22KHz and will be better than that at the low end. The driver specs are 103dB/1w/1m on a standard test baffle.

Will be working on the production baffle and working with the new dspNexus digital crossover as they become available. These will not be DIY kit speakers as The Monoliths are.

The initial listening sessions are these will be a force to recon with!

Offline Guy 13

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Audio should be simple !
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 04:39:20 AM »
The next generation open baffle planar speaker begins. Meet the Magnetar open baffle planar wide range speaker.

Have been working with a new push-pull planar driver that is designed for open baffle use. Using a test folded baffle design, and doing the digital crossover with the dspMusikLCD 2x8, this is the farfield response in my room with first reflections removed. Adding in some first reflections goes down to 200Hz for crossover to the 3x12" servo subs wing the Rythmik Audio HX300-12OB servo amp and GR-Research 12" OB servo subs..This is not a speaker sensitivity measurement calibrated to 2.83V output.

The frequency response is +/-2dB form 300Hz to 22KHz and will be better than that at the low end. The driver specs are 103dB/1w/1m on a standard test baffle.

Will be working on the production baffle and working with the new dspNexus digital crossover as they become available. These will not be DIY kit speakers as The Monoliths are.

The initial listening sessions are these will be a force to recon with!

Hi HAL,
any pictures to come in a near futur ?

Guy 13
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: Meet the Magnetar speaker
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 05:14:36 AM »
Guy13,
Not until I have the production style baffles available.  Waiting on the test pair.

Offline Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 05:37:52 AM »
Guy13,
Not until I have the production style baffles available.  Waiting on the test pair.

Thanks HAL.

:thumb:

Guy 13
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 06:54:18 AM »
Cool
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 06:21:07 PM »
The Magnetar OB speakers can be stand mounted to separate them from the servo sub cabinets. As in this picture with the servo subs near the front wall and the planars in more optimal spots for the mains.

Getting ideas for grill cloth to form fit it to the speaker baffle.

Offline Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 07:04:59 PM »
Hi HAL.
Humm mmmm that's a different approach to O.B.
What is the blue grill made of ?
And, is it that one you want to replace ?
Is that something you will sell ?
Do you have any specs on them ?
Will you do some side by side comparations with whatever you have in your (Over crowded) place.
How can you get to your stuff with all those wire ?
So many question, hopefully they will be all answered ? ? ? ?

Guy 13

« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 07:34:10 PM by Guy 13 »
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 07:41:37 PM »

It's the audio equivalent of Frankenstein's lab.

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 08:06:14 PM »

It's the audio equivalent of Frankenstein's lab.

Agreed....a bit scary, but the lab director knows what he’s doing  :roll: :shock:
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 08:08:17 PM »
tmazz,
Exactly.  It is the Audio Mad Scientist lab!  Love that movie! 

Guy13,
I will answer the questions when I have all moving parts standing still.  Right now it is a design to research.

People talk about having the capability to separate the subs and main speakers for more optimal response in a room.  Since the dspMusik2x8 gives the capability to add time delay and gain offsets to each channel, makes for easy trials with the two parts of the speaker system in separate areas of the room.  For this test the planars are 7.25' away from the subs.  The subs are in their best position from trials in my room.  Now the planars can be moved to more optimal positions. 

I use CARA 2.2+ for speaker and room modeling with custom models I have done for the speakers and my room.  Since my MS-5 Music Server runs Math Audio RoomEQ in Foobar2000 for room correction, I can fine tune the system once speaker placement and room treatment are in position.  I have a calibrated measurement mic setup when needed to make these measurements.  Room EQ Wizard is really good to do initial room measurements as well.

This process has sped up speaker placement in my rooms by orders of magnitude over doing it by ear and just measurements.  I like taking advantage of technology to help setup my audio system.   

So far the sound quality has been excellent with the 3x12" OB servo subs doing all the work below 200Hz. 

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 06:10:48 AM »
Hi HAL.
Humm mmmm that's a different approach to O.B.
What is the blue grill made of ?
And, is it that one you want to replace ?
Is that something you will sell ?
Do you have any specs on them ?
Will you do some side by side comparations with whatever you have in your (Over crowded) place.
So many question, hopefully they will be all answered ? ? ? ?

Guy 13

The blue material is RPG acoustic foam for walls or ceiling, just there to keep down reflections. 

I will post comparisons of responses.  Will see if friends want to stop by and do a comparison and give feedback.

I tip toe through the wires.

Will answer more questions once measurements on the production style baffle are complete.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 06:29:52 PM »
Got the 4 Rythmik Audio HX300-12OB servo amps running the two 6x12 OB H-Frame servo subs.  This is all driven from the dspMusikLCD 2x8 digital crossover system and MS-5 Music Server.

The planar drivers are running with 18" speaker cables from the Orchard Audio BOSC monoblock amps. 

Have the system gains very close and set of room measurements with MathAudio RoomEQ and REW to make sure everything is matched up gains.

Direct drive of the planars and servo subs is giving a very immediate sound with appropriate soundstage size depending on the recording.  It has a presence that I do not get with any passive crossover.  Channel matching is also very accurate as are the drivers from original measurements.   

Now to get the measuring mic setup for some final adjustments.   

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 07:20:27 PM »
Got the 4 Rythmik Audio HX300-12OB servo amps running the two 6x12 OB H-Frame servo subs.  This is all driven from the dspMusikLCD 2x8 digital crossover system and MS-5 Music Server.

The planar drivers are running with 18" speaker cables from the Orchard Audio BOSC monoblock amps. 

Have the system gains very close and set of room measurements with MathAudio RoomEQ and REW to make sure everything is matched up gains.

Direct drive of the planars and servo subs is giving a very immediate sound with appropriate soundstage size depending on the recording.  It has a presence that I do not get with any passive crossover.  Channel matching is also very accurate as are the drivers from original measurements.   

Now to get the measuring mic setup for some final adjustments.

Very nice. What a great setup and the ability to really fine tune as well  :thumb:
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS