Author Topic: Fully Adjustable DIY Rack  (Read 11093 times)

ik632

Fully Adjustable DIY Rack
« on: January 26, 2008, 12:24:30 PM »
I have a desk made out of the trusty 3/4" threaded stainless steel rods and plywood (oak veneer). I figured that similar construction methods could be used to create a pretty nice rack.

I had 12' of 3/4" stainless threaded rod and several grade 8 matching 3/4" nuts to be used. I also had some 3/4" MDF from another project.

So, here's the before picture, 48"x36" to be cut to 4 shelves 24"x18":

Next measure in 1-3/8" from each edge and mark. If you have a set of spanners or scribe this makes things very fast and drill 3/4" holes for the threaded rod. You can go a little bigger, but I don't recommend anything over 13/16" as too big a hole makes the whole thing wobbly and tough to put together. I'd rather have the rods snug in the holes.

ik632

Re: Fully Adjustable DIY Rack
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 12:26:08 PM »
Next, router the edge with your choice of bit. I used a 1/8" quarter round with the dremel attachment and sand to smooth.

Be sure to sand the top and bottom to help the primer stick.

Enjoy all of the dust you've made and will more than likely track into the house and have your wife yell at you:

ik632

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 12:28:22 PM »
Next prime using your favorite primer. I had some left over from doing the living room. One coat is plenty just to seal the wood. The primer will look streaky but as long as it's not bumpy you are ok. Once the primer has had the recommended drying time you can coat with paint. I chose a swanky 70's brown to go with the vintage feel of the equipment to be mounted in it:

Another view of the paint drying:

ik632

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 12:30:38 PM »
For priming I used a 3/8" nap 4" small roller (the little ones used for trim). Throw that roller out when done because they are impossible to clean properly (keep the handle, you'll need that for the second step). Then I used a 1/4" nap finish roller to foll the first and second coats of paint. My goal was a textured finish with the satin paint.

Finish close up:

I had to have the threaded rods cut, so I'm picking them up tonight and I'll assemble tomorrow and post the finished results.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 12:32:40 PM by ik632 »

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 05:51:43 PM »
I made a couple of racks, out of the same materials, several years ago. They are still serving me well...and were plenty cheap to build.

I think you will be very happy with them...good job...by the way.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 07:06:45 PM »
Man, that's looking great, Nick!  That's real AudioStile. ;)

Still looking forward to hearing your setup.  I need to get done with some projects and just relax over there one day.

Fun stuff.  Thanks for sharing. :)
I really enjoy listening to music.

ik632

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 06:10:02 AM »
Got it all assembled and my wife actually likes it, so that's a relief. I'll take some pictures tonight and post them up for you guys to enjoy. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I even managed to finish all of the "bungee audio" RCA interconnects.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 11:01:30 AM »
I really like that brown, can you tell us the "make and model"
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

ik632

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 04:07:40 PM »
It's the American Tradition by Valspar from Lowes. Paint code is 6010-2 Deep Earth.

Formula:
   Base 4 Ultra Premium Interior Satin
   Lowes # 1878 Tinter 2 (I guess this was the store number and operator, but I"ll include that too)
   101-1Y30, 109-22, 111-42.

ik632

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »
Assembled:

Got Nut?:

ik632

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 02:54:07 PM »
Loaded with components:

Another view:

ik632

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 02:56:04 PM »
Top view of aluminum goodness:

Analog goodness in the dark:

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 03:01:37 PM »
ohmygodman, you really are an audiostyle, that looks gorgeous! You got talent Nick! 

Nice job!!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 03:47:37 PM »
Man, you need a turntable on the top of that rack... ;)
It does look really good... you must be proud.  Congrats on such a nice-looking (and sounding) system, Nick. :)
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

ik632

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 07:28:57 AM »
I'm negotiating for a nice Technics direct drive unit but my Dad really doesn't want to give it up. Seeing as he doesn't have a receiver to hook it up to it should be in my house. I think it's sentimental at this point.