Author Topic: Who's done the DIY PC thing using the Furutech OCC cabling?  (Read 39413 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Who's done the DIY PC thing using the Furutech OCC cabling?
« on: February 13, 2007, 07:01:55 AM »
Title says it all.

I've been very impressed with my speaker cabling which uses the OCC copper.  I was never a 'cable guy' for speaker cabling until I tried this.  I'll not go back to anything else most likely.  The difference was not subtle.

At RMAF, I heard the benefits of the Bybees in a power cable.  In doing some in depth research as to how they function and what their purpose is, it appears to me that the OCC is providing much of the same end benefit - albeit via a different mechanism.  I'd like to try it for myself and see.

I'd be very interested in anyone's experiences with it.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 04:46:40 PM »
I've made some IC's with OCC silver but not any power cables. It is something I'd like to try. I was in the same boat and *knew* that power cables couldn't possibly make a difference. Unfortunately I was present when one was swapped out without notice. Everyone present asked what was changed in the system and I was floored when it was announced that it was the power cable. Judging by the looks on other faces I know I wasn't alone in  my shock.

So where can you get the Furutech OCC copper to DIY a PC?

mike

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 04:31:08 AM »
Chris VenHaus is selling the raw Furutech materials now.

http://www.vhaudio.com/wire.html

I'll likely be making an order within a couple of weeks.  I know I'm going to have to make at least 5 power cords plus some other things - he also has the raw OCC speaker and interconnect cabling from Furutech.

Maybe we can get Chris on board with a bulk buy (not sure if we can fill the rules for the group buy).  Anybody else interested?  

Bryan

shrinkmore

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 05:06:07 AM »
Surely, you are going to use some special plugs and IEC's, what do you have in mind?  I'm curious to hear what you hear with these, let me know.  Sound's like a good project.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 06:57:32 AM »
Don't know yet but going to try to keep the cost down if I can.  

Bryan

shrinkmore

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 01:35:05 PM »
Surely you could tell me what you think the similarity is between Bybees and OCC - very interesting topic.  I know it probably gets real technical, particularly with the Bybees, but I would be interested in knowing how these two are similar, even if just in function as opposed to the actual mechanism.  

Much appreciated.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 03:12:45 PM »
Here is a quote as to part of why the Bybees are supposed to work...

" The Bybee solution is based on principles derived from quantum mechanics, the study of how electrons behave at the subatomic level. Quantum physicists have learned that electrons have an intrinsic angular characteristic expressed in terms of spin (either up or down), which describes their orbital behavior around the nucleus of an atom. When subjected to Bybee’s high-temperature near-superconductive material, electrons tend to join in a beneficial manner, increasing the velocity of propagation (VP) by forming what are known as Cooper’s Pairs (one spin-up electron joined with a spin-down). Coopers’ Pairs have the unique ability to tunnel through the crystal lattice of the conductor (such as a copper wire) essentially unimpeded, therefore eliminating virtually all quantum noise phenomena. To understand this effect, imagine a football game in which the player receiving the kick off could run straight down field to the goal line without being touched by any defenders."

Now, assuming that one uses a wire that does not contain the crystalline barriers (or not nearly as many), one could extrapolate that the generation of the Coopers' Pairs would not be as necessary since there is no structure to fight through.

I may be way off base here but surely ;) it's worth a try.  As I said, I've used the OCC wire before and the differences were not subtle - and IMO, similar to the kinds of differences I heard when we did a PC swap to one with Bybees in it ( tightening and extension of the bottom end, more apparent 'ease' of reproduction, etc. )

Bryan

Steve-MAC

Re: Who's done the DIY PC thing using the Furutech OCC cabling?
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 04:16:56 AM »
You might want to look into MAC.
My Audio Cables. (www.myaudiocables)
We run seriously discounted deals on Audiogon and the cables are . . .  well read the comments page on the MAC website.

I apologize for jumping in here - but I can't see spending $$$ on more than you need to.

Steve

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 05:56:53 AM »
I apologize for jumping in here - but I can't see spending $$$ on more than you need to.
Steve

Steve,
Don't worry about saving us now... we're already too far down the rabbit hole. ;)
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 06:07:12 AM »
I'll just add that I'm not generally a big 'wire guy'.  I've never spent a ton on cabling.  The OCC was really the first time I heard what I considered to be a repeatable, quantifiable, not subtle difference in speaker cabling.

I'm going to try it just to see if the same kinds of differences appear in a power cord.  I won't do them all right away.  I'm just waiting a little while longer.  I'm on the home stretch with the daughter's wedding (Saturday) and the bills are all paid (but the checkbook is a bit low and the credit cards are still warm  :shock: )  Couple that with getting equipment in and paying for my part of my RMAF room with Mike Dzurko and these will just have to wait a while longer.

I'll report back later on the results.

Bryan

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 09:29:15 AM »
What are the OCC speaker cables you are using now?
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 09:45:49 AM »
Harmonic Technology - Pro 9

Bryan

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 10:59:32 AM »
What is OCC?

I've seen that term a lot. Is that oxygen free Continuous crystal copper, like magnet wire, anticables, etc?
Thanks
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 02:07:01 PM »
Yes, that's the stuff, Rich.
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 05:03:57 AM »
Well, I don't think all magnet wire is CCC or OCC (similar but different processes by the way).  It is a completely different thing than OFC.  As for anticables - I don't remember them claiming CCC or OCC.

Bryan