Author Topic: New Hot Power Conditioning Product  (Read 14774 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: New Hot Power Conditioning Product
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 11:38:45 AM »
I would be interested to know from the Furman rep about their "symmetric power" products. Are they balanced +/-60VAC power like Equitech? What advantages Furman over Equitech? ;) I know they have series surge protect, which is nice. GFCI on secondaries?

I'd be interested to know what you think of that new regenerator, what's different than PSA.

I miss the 1.5Q, it was awesome! Thanks for the comments on all the products. Who's Dan Babanou?

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 12:08:06 PM »
... Who's Dan Babanou?
Dan Babineau is the lead designer for Running Springs Audio...

http://www.runningspringsaudio.com/philosophy3.htm

Offline richidoo

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 12:19:40 PM »
Thanks Mike

Offline richidoo

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »
The Purepower does not list source impedance among its 10 Power Gremlins. It only compares itself to naked outlet for current carrying ability. I would like to see it's source impedance compared to a transformer type conditioner.  This is very easy to hear because it affects power to the speaker.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 01:51:39 PM »
The Purepower does not list source impedance among its 10 Power Gremlins. It only compares itself to naked outlet for current carrying ability. I would like to see it's source impedance compared to a transformer type conditioner.  This is very easy to hear because it affects power to the speaker.

I have been reading over the specs on the PurePower 1050 for the last hour or so and I cant past thinking it's a lot like the PS Audio Premier but with a battery and a few other tweaks. That isn't a bad thing mind you, just an observation.

Funny thing is that it looks like I'm not the first person to notice:

http://www.purepoweraps.com/FAQs.htm

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 01:54:02 PM »
I just noticed that they have a comparison chart up:

http://www.purepoweraps.com/comparison.htm
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 02:23:17 PM by Black Sand Cable »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 02:35:06 PM »
Thanks. The battery is a nice idea. I see the old "balanced power might be dangerous" scare tactic further down in the FAQ. Whatever works...

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 02:45:27 PM »
Thanks. The battery is a nice idea. I see the old "balanced power might be dangerous" scare tactic further down in the FAQ. Whatever works...

Yeah I noticed that also.....but not before I read:

balanced power is an ingenious technique that uses transformer technology to cancel noise and distortion in the AC sine wave

They also make mention of standards which I found interesting. I can't speak for others but I know that Equitech had no problems getting UL, ETL and CE so I'm not sure why they would bring up standards in their little blurp about balanced power?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 03:36:34 PM »
I'm not sure why they would bring up standards in their little blurp about balanced power?

Fear is a powerful weapon, but wisdom shall always prevail.  [-o<

:lol:

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 07:20:59 PM »
... Who's Dan Babanou?
Dan Babineau is the lead designer for Running Springs Audio...

http://www.runningspringsaudio.com/philosophy3.htm

I'll second Dan is a great guy to work with.  Also of note is his company (RTI) is the behind the scenes OEM for most of the boutique name capacitors we all know and love.  He rattled them off to me and it was an amazing who's who.  John Broskie uses the native RTI's in the Aikido kits now as well.  Obviously the best of this cap technology is contained in the RSA products too, but precision caps are the main business, well beyond audio applications.  I still use a Haley and love it.
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra