Author Topic: Sooo been away a while and some stuff has changed....  (Read 40743 times)

Dougie085

Re: Sooo been away a while and some stuff has changed....
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 08:29:11 AM »
Yes yours is very nice as well :) I bought some Bombay Mahogany stain for mine but not sure when it will get put on as I have to tear apart the whole rack to do so...

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 09:41:39 AM »
I have found that just imagining what it would look like is a lot easier than actually doing the finishing work.  Plus you have unlimited freedom to change your mind about how it 'should' look.   :lol:
I really enjoy listening to music.

Dougie085

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 11:15:02 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anyways on another note I ordered some Blonde Bamboo Veneer for my speakers and some heatlock glue a veneer saw and a glue roller. They have blue tint to dye wood at veneersupplies.com but I'm not sure if that would be any worse or better then an aniline dye.

Dougie085

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 01:06:56 PM »
Ok so I've ordered the veneer (bamboo as mentioned) also a gallon of Heat Lock veneer glue and some Blue TransTint dye and other various little tools. I'm going to look into having an auto body shop do a nice clear coat on these so I don't have to worry to much about my son scratching them :) Just have to take a buffer to it and buff out any light scratches. Also I doubt I'd be able to achieve the same finish.

Dougie085

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 12:16:21 PM »
So I ordered the Bamboo veneer and then I ended up having more money then I thought... Now I'm thinking about either selling the bamboo or keeping it for another project and ordering 5 sheets of quilted maple. I really want the speakers to be very beautiful and I've always loved quilted maple. Its either quilted maple, heavy birdseye maple, or mappa burl.

Dougie085

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 12:21:49 PM »
A little update. I got the Bamboo veneer today and I think I may stick with it as its quite sexy looking. Also got part of the cabinet parts in. Pics

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:32:42 PM by Dougie085 »

Dougie085

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 06:35:11 PM »
Well I noticed I screwed up the pictures in the last post when I moved them so they are fixed now.

In about 2 weeks or so (maybe 3) I'll be ordering all the rest of the parts for the center and 4 surrounds. I'll also be ordering an XPA-5 and an XPA-2 if I can't still swap out the XPA-3 for the XPA-5 then I'll sell it to a friend or something. Going to get 2 Maelstorm-X Sub drivers from DIYcable.com and a EP2500 amp with an FBQ2496EQ. This should complete my HT surround sound setup...To many projects. I'm going to have to buy a bunch of wood and just cut out everything I can in one day. Building the cabinets shouldn't take more then a few days but veneering and finishing will take quite a bit longer. The surrounds are just going to be painted black. The center and mains will be veneered. I'm not sure about the subs yet but I would like to veneer them.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 04:08:33 AM »
Looking good.  The veneer does look pretty sweet.  I just can't do that kind of light color in my room.  The wife puts up with a lot but that just wouldn't fly - good looking or not.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Dougie085

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 08:03:03 AM »
Well thats not stained or anything. You could easily stain it cherry or dye it red,blue or just about any color you want.

Also the rest of the cabinet pieces shipped out today. They should be here wednesday/thursday. The drivers will be here tomorrow.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 08:13:15 AM »
Hmmm.  Didn't think bamboo took stain particularly well.  Might have to reconsider.

Bryan

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 09:15:54 AM »
Bamboo doesn't take roundup too well either. Bamboo, kudzoo, poison ivy, bermuda grass, some of my favorites!  :lol:

Still thinking of staining it blue?

Dougie085

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 09:45:15 AM »
Yeah I already have the stain. And I would think bamboo would take a stain/dye rather well its really not much of a hardwood. We'll see when I get to that point.

Dougie085

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 07:30:34 PM »
I've been considering buying a projector and what not a while and tonight I was figuring how I would configure this room. Well I came up with this and everything is not to scale. The screen is the white thing and the window on the upper wall would get blacked out. The screen would be audio transparent with the center channel behind it. The blue things are the speakers. The equipment would be in a closet now drawn in. The black thing is the projector and the brown thing under it is a fireplace. I think this would work ok until we buy a house and I can setup a dedicated room. Oh the tan box is a sub enclosure for 4 15" DIYcable Tempest-X's.

Dougie085

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 10:42:16 AM »
MMMMMM parts

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 11:45:15 AM »
Well THAT looks like fun!  :D

Bryan