Author Topic: Dampening Capacitors  (Read 4478 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Dampening Capacitors
« on: October 17, 2019, 07:01:10 AM »
  Well my little chickadees go get some TA 102 dampening material and a circle punch and put some on the top of ALL electrolytic caps. You will gain bloom, density of harmonic and timbre. You can use Dynamat or other materials however the TA- 102 or TA-32 from Japan works great. I got a sample from a dealer friend to try. You can find on Ebay if you like. You will be glad you did no downside. I am in 100%.

charles
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:03:06 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Dampening Capacitors
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 10:49:25 AM »
I've read about this. I just use capacitors that have anti-vibration technology :)

Although you can't get really large sizes, so there's always a place.

Do you think some would say it sounds too dead?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 11:09:15 AM »
  When I damped power supply caps with Black Hole Pad no deadening at all. Actually sounded more alive and open. I remember hearing about removing the plastic covering to "naked" by a few exotic designers. Duelund uses the compressed paper surround.
Just tried a small dab of Mortite which is coming off very shortly due to its nature of drying sticking etc. I liked the result. Interesting and worth a try.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 05:10:28 AM »
try using the Moretite around the base of the cap where it joins to the board.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 07:48:43 AM »
Im thinking blu tack works better. i use it in my crossovers.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 10:39:30 AM »
Capacitors that get over 12v get excited physically. Under that nothing internally is causing it.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 10:50:31 AM »
Capacitors that get over 12v get excited physically. Under that nothing internally is causing it.

Good to know thank you.

charles

Online P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 11:02:42 PM »
try using the Moretite around the base of the cap where it joins to the board.
I use Aleen’s Tacky Glue available at crafts stores like Hobby Lobby.  It always stays flexible and can be thickened into a putty with micro balloons from hobby shops. 
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 10:59:19 AM »
  BTW guys this tweak using the TA-102 material came from Joe Cohen of Prana Wire. CRAZY expensive wire which in my opinion is the best cable I EVER heard in my system, period end of story, I lust. Just too much money. I could not fathom the expense came real close though.

charles

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 04:45:25 PM »
This really depends on the capacitor. Be careful of caps from China as they will ofen have a smaller capacitor in a larger can.
Damping a capacitor is really just damping the can itself which is a good idea as the internals of the capacitor are not always touching the can. By placing some type of damping material on the can itself, you will prevent the can from ringing or vibrating.
If you doubt this technique,  you can easily test by using a stethoscope on the top of the can before and after applying damping material. Depending on the quality of the cap, you may or may not hear a difference..
I have a unique proprietary procedue that I have used in the past that I haven't used in a while due to the expense. 😉
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 09:02:20 AM »
This really depends on the capacitor. Be careful of caps from China as they will ofen have a smaller capacitor in a larger can.
Damping a capacitor is really just damping the can itself which is a good idea as the internals of the capacitor are not always touching the can. By placing some type of damping material on the can itself, you will prevent the can from ringing or vibrating.
If you doubt this technique,  you can easily test by using a stethoscope on the top of the can before and after applying damping material. Depending on the quality of the cap, you may or may not hear a difference..
I have a unique proprietary procedue that I have used in the past that I haven't used in a while due to the expense. 😉

Informative response thank you Bill. I performed the tweak on my Lamm Ref preamp power supply. I was taken back by the result. More information in a more focused way. Next up the DAC , and music server. Guys this tweak is worth its weight in gold. Do it.

charles

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 01:05:47 PM »
Has anyone used Plasticene?  I've used many pounds of the stuff in turntable plinths to good effects over the years?
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub