Author Topic: DTQWT-12  (Read 127607 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: DTQWT-12
« Reply #210 on: July 01, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »
I was able to play the DTQWT-12s at the recent g2G. They sounded better than ever with fully broken in woofers, and especially powered by the Cherry stereo amp, made by Digital Amplifier Company. The speaker requires low impedance amp to control the bass, and also some fullness, both of which the Cherry offers. I am playing them now with Samet i30 intergrated SS PP linear amp, worth 30W. It also sounds very good on these speakers, even better than the 60W version from Samet Audio that I used for the last year.

As of yesterday I had 4 different, full size, full range speakers in the house. It's time to clear house to make room for new projects. I sold one pair yesterday, and these DTQWT-12s are coming up for sale soon.
Rich

Vaaa

« Reply #211 on: July 10, 2012, 06:34:59 AM »
SELLING the DTQWT-12???? These speakers can hold their own against $70k+ speakers. I wouldn't do it!!!! they are insane value and quality, all my Audiocrazy friends are in shock by the sound they produce. I wont let go of my pair for decades. Maybe one day I will build a pair of 3x15" woofer per speaker MONSTER speakers but that will be the day I have a gym from a audio room.

I think the D-12's are in the top 3 best speakers next to the Verity Lohengrin II, Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage. They sound better then the Verity in my option with even better bass.

I am very happy I used 38mm wood throughout the speaker. The solid construction is KEY to perfect sound. the front baffle rounding is also very very important. I suggest anyone who builds the 12" version use nothing less or they will greatly compromise the overall sound quality.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #212 on: July 11, 2012, 12:07:52 PM »
My wife agrees, she likes the DTQWT. 

Hornologist

« Reply #213 on: July 13, 2012, 04:06:52 AM »
Hi Vaaa, your DTQWT-12 look amazing, I am glad to hear that the sound is exceptional. Congratulations Marc

FnAudioDog

« Reply #214 on: July 17, 2012, 06:44:38 PM »
Hi Rich,

Troels has alot of good designs. Unfortunately as with most of us, I don't have deep pockets.The DTQWTs look good. So far they are my top pick. However, I like the way Troels defines the sound of the OBLs as "Sit back and enjoy the concert". The bass is suppose to be like no other. The width of the OBLs is a problem, but something I may be able to deal with. No WAF but id have to keep the volume at 10 instead of 1:00 due to my neighboor's. Damn.

Your thought's are appreciated.
Steve.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #215 on: July 17, 2012, 07:41:01 PM »
Hi Steve,
The OBL11s do look very promising.
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/OBL11.htm

They use the same mid and tweet drivers as the DTQWT-12, DTQWT, TQWT, and Quattro. I thought when I bought the drivers from Jantzen that I would build a few of them. But the different crossover parts and different woofers are too expensive to just knock them out for fun. But the big OB does look interesting. The bass might be a little quicker and clearer than the DTQWT12 but it won't play as low or loud. It requires more distance from the wall and takes up more floor space. Probably costs about the same as DTQWT12, one less woofer, but 8 huge caps. Probably easier to build though. The DTQWT12 did take a lot of work to build.

His new Jensen Accu speaker looks really good. Figure $5k to pull that off, and it is a complex construction.

FnAudioDog

« Reply #216 on: July 17, 2012, 10:01:43 PM »
Yeah, I think the OBLs won't work for me due to width.
Since I already have an ARC EC22 electronic crossover and two power amps, I'm thinking of building two new cabs for my HiVi-W12 drivers (per side) and building Troels AT-SWs for the top end.
My problem is finding the best software (That I trust) to design the bottom cabs for the (2) HiVi W12s per side.
I currently have Bass Box Pro 6 and WinIsd (freeware) software.
Not sure which one is the better of the two. They will only do closed and ported boxes. I feel like the HiVi-W12s are good bass drivers and just need the right type of cabs.   

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #217 on: July 18, 2012, 04:20:01 AM »
Sounds like a nice plan. Best to start a new thread about your box. You'll get some good advice.  If you are in small/medium sized room I would go with sealed box, with Qtc of about .6. The reflections will boost the bass to almost flat. You can adjust distance to wall to add more bass. I found it difficult to design ported speakers on my first try, using several different simulators. but you might find it easy as pie. Simulators don't make great ported bass automatically, you have to know how to tune and experiment to get it just right. I intend to try again, but I like sealed bass so much I don't feel the need now. Look for the mfg recommended box design for your woofers, or email them for advice for a clean, audiophile quality ported bass design.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:28:56 AM by richidoo »

FnAudioDog

« Reply #218 on: July 18, 2012, 02:31:41 PM »
Is it hard to sell DIY loudspeakers?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #219 on: July 18, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »
Is it hard to sell DIY loudspeakers?

Not with the right price and a well known design. It's harder for a homebrew design, but wise buyers can see value.

gregfisk

« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2012, 03:37:27 PM »
Hi Richidoo,

I followed this thread back when you built these speakers and see that you may want to sell them. What part of the U.S. do you live in? I live in the Seattle area and have been interested in building a pair of these or the 10" model. I have a very large room.

Thanks,

Greg

Offline richidoo

« Reply #221 on: August 28, 2012, 06:39:17 PM »
Hi Greg, I'm in NC.  I have a very large room too. The speakers sound big and very satisfying.

I would be curious to hear the two designs, the 10" woofer DTQWT and the 12" woofer DTQWT-12, compared side by side. The smaller horns have faster taper and less horn volume so there is more sound difference in the bass besides just extension. The smaller has the benefit of Troels own horn tuning experience. The new kits include the original stuffing materials that Troels used, so you can duplicate his speakers exactly.

WireNut

« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2012, 08:19:55 PM »
Hi gregfisk,

I have been looking at Troels DTQWT-10s and the DTQWT-12s for months now. IMO i think the  DTQWT-10's look better then the 12s. But then again, I don't have to worry about the WIF and also my living space is 12 x 25 which would be good for the  DTQWT-12s.
 The cost of the 12's versus the 10's seems to be minimal. The extra cost of the 12's are the wood, and a very small increase in the cost of the 12 inch drivers. I estimate $200.00- $300.00.
 If I built the DTQWT-10s and had the space with no WIF I think I would always be asking myself "What If ".
But that is DIY.
 I think either way you go the DTQWTs are a good design and something you will be happy with for a long time.

I have estimated the cost of the DTQWT-10s at $1635.00 +  the additional cost for cabinets,wire,ext.

The 12's would add approx $200-$300 extra.
Plus all of your time to build them.

gregfisk

« Reply #223 on: August 29, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
Hi Richidoo,

Thanks for responding, I guess buying your speakers would be costly because of shipping. Can you tell me how these compare to other types of designs such as ported box, OB or sealed box speakers? I'm also wondering if you have tried them close to the front wall and how they sound there? My room is large but I can only bring my speakers out from the front wall about 2' because I run into the ends of my couches. I was thinking this design would be good because Toel's states they can be placed close to the front wall, the woofers are rear firing and the midrange and tweeter are well above the ends of my couches. I currently have Aerial 7B speakers which are a 3 way rear ported design but I'm really not that happy with them. The metal dome is painful in my lively room and I had to put them on additional stands to get the bass out of them.

Thanks for your input.

Greg

gregfisk

« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »
Hi WireNut,

I have been going back and forth as well because of the size of my room. I agree with Richidoo in that the 10" version is a safer bet and like you said it would cost a bit less to build. I don't have any experience with TL designs so I don't know what they sound like compared to other designs. I do know I need a speaker I can place close to the front wall and many designs don't work well there. If you decide to build Troel's speakers keep us posted.

Greg