Self Medicating > General DIY

Magnepan MG10/QR DSP crossover

(1/10) > >>

HAL:
Since the dspNexus 2x8 can be used for either new speaker designs or reworking old speaker designs, decided to give it a try with a pair of Magnepan MG10QR planars I found.  Had a pair of Magnepan MGIIB's back in the '80s, so a good place to start.  At 10.5in wide about half the width of my old MGIIB's, so that should improve imaging.  Mechanically time aligned, but adding a servo sub will time align them for the room setup.

These are the original Quasi-Ribbon model of the speaker, a two way crossover design with single pole filters.  The response is reported as 80Hz to 22KHz for the speakers, so a good subwoofer is needed for first octave sound reproduction.  I know how to do that!

Speaker measurements are needed to see what will be the new DSP crossover design.

A few surprises along the way, so will see what happens.

GDHAL:

--- Quote from: HAL on June 14, 2023, 05:29:23 AM ---Since the dspNexus 2x8 can be used for either new speaker designs or reworking old speaker designs, decided to give it a try with a pair of Magnepan MG10QR planars I found.  Had a pair of Magnepan MGIIB's back in the '80s, so a good place to start.  At 10.5in wide about half the width of my old MGIIB's, so that should improve imaging.  Mechanically time aligned, but adding a servo sub will time align them for the room setup.

These are the original Quasi-Ribbon model of the speaker, a two way crossover design with single pole filters.  The response is reported as 80Hz to 22KHz for the speakers, so a good subwoofer is needed for first octave sound reproduction.  I know how to do that!

Speaker measurements are needed to see what will be the new DSP crossover design.

A few surprises along the way, so will see what happens.

--- End quote ---

The only commentary I have is that my GoldenEar Triton Reference speakers use DSP, and they are the best speakers I've ever had. The bass integration with sub and mids is exactly perfect. :thumb:

HAL:
To me, DSP has completely surpassed the sound quality of passive crossovers when it is a competent design.  I will not go back.

GDHAL:

--- Quote from: HAL on June 14, 2023, 10:50:53 AM ---To me, DSP has completely surpassed the sound quality of passive crossovers when it is a competent design.  I will not go back.

--- End quote ---

I agree. So please allow me to seek your opinion. Given that you're a friend (done business with?) Greg of GTAW, if I'm not mistaken his design approach is the best crossover is no crossover. Hence I believe his speakers don't use any (or I recall hearing something about a capacitor used for some kind of "protection", not sure though). Can you opine on the benefits (or lack thereof) of no crossover?

As a side, I've heard other (boxed) single driver full range speakers besides Greg's. They sound fine  but honestly I cannot hear anything advantageous versus multiple drivers with crossovers.

Thank you. :)

Hal

HAL:
Greg's planar/ribbon combinations did not use a crossover on the woofer/mid panel, but had a cap on the direct drive ribbons.  The new ribbons he said are transformer coupled, so probably also has a cap to remove LF energy from the tweeter ribbon depending on the transformer.

I have heard them play very loud without strain, so his system is robust from the driver material and magnetic field strength components of the design.  Every generation of his planars sounded better.  He also uses them with a sub array.  In the past servo subs, now standard subwoofer designs.  Probably for the same reason everyone else is for lack of servo amps from Rythmik Audio.

I prefer using high rate XO's to remove more energy from the woofer and tweeter drivers to let them play loud and clean. I also like using high rate acoustic L-R style crossovers for all the crossover points.  I will be doing exactly that with the MG10QR's.  No linear phase filter crossovers will ever be used for speakers from HAL. 

When you can make a pair of LM10n planars play 180Hz to 20KHz flat and have plenty of acoustical output using a high rate L-R crossover, and sound this good, why bother with other types.  The MG10QR's should be a lot of fun since the bass panels go to 80Hz.  The servo subs will have a simple job to do. 

I am not a fan of boxed full range cone drivers other than for electric guitar and amp use.  That is a different animal than for music reproduction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version