Author Topic: The Nutcracker  (Read 7627 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
The Nutcracker
« on: December 27, 2014, 07:15:06 PM »
Just got back from Lincoln Center. Went in to see the NYC Ballet do The Nutcracker. We had outstanding seats (8th row Orch, dead center). Being married to a ballet teacher, I have seen quite a few versions of The Nutcracker, but of course the NYC Ballet id the best of the best. terrific show. And the NYC Ballet Orchestra is really top notch. I of course enjoyed the music,more than the dance. And sitting in prime seats like that, the SQ was something else. The musical textures and imaging were like nothing else I had ever heard sitting anywhere else in a concert hall.   :drool:

Unfortunately, then I had to come home. I pulled out my best copy of the Nutcracker (Ansermet's The Royal Ballet Gala, A Classic Records 200g Clarity Vinyl single sided 45 RPM pressing) I warmed up the system, put it on the turntable, sat back in the sweet spot and began to cry. It was so far from what I heard this afternoon it wasn't funny.  :(

I have to stop going to live performances.... they make my stereo sound crappy.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:35:01 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

Re: The Nutcracker
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »
I know what you mean, I saw the NC ballet Nutcracker a few years ago, a few rows back. Can't beat the up close sound of the orchestra!

My wife got a pair of tickets this year and she and my daughter enjoyed it very much with the NC Symphony accompanying. My daughter is a ballerina and has danced in her studio's Nutcracker productions for the last few years. Great music!!

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 12:35:40 AM »
To create an orchestra in a living room is quite a trick, and it can be done, but I suspect your Boxers are not up to the task.  I've heard Nola speakers several times and have been mostly impressed, but in my experience, full orchestra takes big speakers in a big room. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 07:19:25 AM »
To create an orchestra in a living room is quite a trick, and it can be done, but I suspect your Boxers are not up to the task.  I've heard Nola speakers several times and have been mostly impressed, but in my experience, full orchestra takes big speakers in a big room. 

I agree that the Boxers are limited at what they can do, but before I moved last year I had a dedicated sound room that had been acoustically tweaked over the course of 27 years and was using Thiel CS-6s pushed by an Audio Research VT-200 and while that was miles ahead of what I had now, it was nowhere near to what I heard yesterday either.

This is not to say that we cannot get our systems to sound very musical to the point that they can provide us with great listening pleasure at home,  but the reality is that no matter how good we get it to sound at home, when you hear a top rate orchestra in a world class acoustic venue like Lincoln Center it makes you just shake your head and say boy we still have a long way to go.
Granted the scale and scope of a full orchestral performance make it the hardest to replicate and with simpler musical performances like string quartets or acoustic jazz combos we can get much closer, but as close as we get it is still just not the same as being there.

I can't tell you how many times I have settled into the listening chair and said to myself "Damn this is just like you are there" and that illusion holds up just fine, until you are actually there and you realize just how much is missing at home.

And none of this is meant in any way to put down anybody's system or say that our efforts are not worth while. Music in the home plays a very big and important part of my life. The practicality is that very few of us have access to live music on a regular basis. And I don't know about anybody else, but at $200 and up for prime seats, I certainly cannot afford to make a regular habit out of these kind of live performances. So we strive to do the best we can in our homes. I guess my original thought in posting this tread is that we as audiophiles tend to get smug over time about how good we have gotten our systems to sound. (myself included)  And I don't mean that in a negative way, as we all put a lot of time and effort into setting up and tweaking our systems and have a right to be proud of (and enjoy) our accomplishments. With every step forward we take it sounds more and more like a real musical performance and I think sometimes after a while we end up benchmarking our systems not on what real music sounds like , but more on what what our system used to sound like and we become so focused on how far we have come that we lose sight of how far we still have to go.

This was really just meant to share an ah-ha moment that I had. I still intend to sit back and enjoy music on my system whenever I can, but yesterday's performance just reinforced in my mind just how good a real performance can sound and kind of recalibrated my standards of what good sound is all about.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 07:37:32 AM »
I know what you mean, I saw the NC ballet Nutcracker a few years ago, a few rows back. Can't beat the up close sound of the orchestra!

My wife got a pair of tickets this year and she and my daughter enjoyed it very much with the NC Symphony accompanying. My daughter is a ballerina and has danced in her studio's Nutcracker productions for the last few years. Great music!!

Rich if she is really that much into ballet you should really someday try to get her up here to see the NYC Ballet production of The Nutcracker. I am sure they do a good job in NC, but this is just the best of the best.  They do 50+ performances every season and have been doing so for 60 years now, so they have fine tuned the whole thing so it just runs like a Swiss watch. And with all those performances they also have the budget to do things right. The scenery, the costuming and just the way the whole thing comes together of just first class. And of course the performers almost all come from the School of American Ballet which is one of the most famous classical ballet schools in the world. Seeing as my wife is a ballet teacher I have been to many different performances of the Nutcracker and this one just blew me away.

BTW - I am still searching for a mint copy of "Tina the Ballerina" for you. The copy I found at the Crack House was a little on the rough side, so I have kept in on my look out list. Some day........  :D

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »
I have to take in a show at the Lincoln Center to hear what a good live music venue sounds like. I've gone to a couple of kid shows at the NYCB Theatre at Westbury, Nassau Colliseum and have begun to think that live music really isn't all its cracked up to be. I'd take a home stereo listening session over the live performances any day.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 02:25:05 PM »
BTW - I am still searching for a mint copy of "Tina the Ballerina" for you. The copy I found at the Crack House was a little on the rough side, so I have kept in on my look out list. Some day........  :D

Thanks Tom, you are too good, as I'm sure you have heard said many times. Sadly, my little ballerina doesn't listen to that one anymore, she is more of a stinky, hairy, noisy teenager now, Youtube, makeup, tennis, etc.  The copy you sent was much better shape than the one that survived my wife's young ballerina days, so it will do nicely when if we are blessed with another generation of little ballerinas, fingers crossed... but not any time soon... fingers crossed...  :rofl:

My daughter said one of the NC Ballet leads used to be in NYC Ballet, and performed Nutcracker up there. I think she did most of the choreography for ours this year. She taught the kids a lot and she really got their imaginations going with stories about the NY production.