Author Topic: Rave in October  (Read 15959 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: Rave in October
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 05:12:58 PM »
Ok more news....\

Preamp is being modded with Slagle autoformers as we speak.

Preamp is loaded with Jupiter Copper foil caps which I consider the only cap to use.......God knows those deulands are all crapping out with leaks

Dave has offered to bring his 1:1 output transformers in copper and silver and we will be able to swap out the caps to hear transformer coupling before our very eyes.

If you have to use a cap the Jupiter copper foils are the only ones I would use, but I believe that a transformer can surpass any cap....any cap...........but I guess we will know for sure

won't we?  as we will actually experience it and not just spout something we read online.

ah....   truth..
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »

ah....   truth..

Some of us can't handle the TRUTH!!!  :rofl:

Looking forward!

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 05:24:12 PM »
Pete,
you should have been at my house for the choke shootout,, lots of fun..9 chokes...all sounding different, in the power supply.

crazy night of audiophile insanity, with Dave winding chokes in my kitchen.

Just broke the news to my wife about the rave,

she is still putting up resistance , but it has been a while since I had a rave so she knows she has to give in!

System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 07:07:54 PM »
Pete,
you should have been at my house for the choke shootout,, lots of fun..9 chokes...all sounding different, in the power supply.

crazy night of audiophile insanity, with Dave winding chokes in my kitchen.

she is still putting up resistance , but it has been a while since I had a rave so she knows she has to give in!

Should be in every Prenup for an audiophile! :rofl:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 05:06:48 AM »

Mike
We can all throw in a few bucks for a gift certificate to a spa so she can be pampered for few hours while we "rave" :lol:
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Levi

• Certifiable
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 10:25:04 AM »
Whatever happened to the ladies?  Perhaps some of us are too late on the game!   :rofl:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 07:00:29 AM »
 Mike a heads up the Audiosyndrome Oct. meeting is the 17th. I was at that Rave when Slagle made up the chokes on your kitchen table. Dave was soooooo shocked as to the difference he was beside himself. He said that he "never" expected to hear a difference and vowed to change his engineering head about parts sounding different. An enlightening experience for sure.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 04:39:30 PM »
yes I remember it well, and Daves chokes sounded the best
 it was a fun night...a unique one as well

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 08:28:28 AM »
  A heads up. Recently our club member almost lost his amp when the Jupiter cap failed. This is the second time I have heard that. Be careful the Jupiters have been reported to fail. To bad a great sounding cap.
    Any date yet ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 03:24:20 AM »
Yes a great sounding cap, you should try to get to listen to one.

Rave in Oct depends on the state of my preamp at the time.

mike

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 07:41:34 PM »
OK Rave is cancelled.

Some of you guys know this already, but I did some renovation work on my house and had to take my audio room apart to help with the rebuilding of the entrance way to the house.
Since then I have not completely finished that  audio room. Summer came, which I spent almost every weekend hiking and continue to do every weekend....hence the room is not finished.

and my desire to finish it is not that strong, being busy with work and spending time in the woods or with my family, I sort of lost my interest in the hobby.

I still enjoy this hobby, but the hiatus was eye opening and new interests are driving me away from the hobby, perhaps one day I will be back...but for now it is a refreshing break.
So everything will be put up for sale. I have plans for a much smaller system based on vintage gear, gear that sounds so good for like no money it boggles my mind why I wasted so much in the first place!
It was and is a very healthy break..that I needed and truly appreciate.

Mike

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 06:41:39 AM »
...So everything will be put up for sale...

Mike

When's the garage sale!?!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 06:59:35 AM »
Congrats on your decision Mike.   The music will always be there for you, and it is easy to find everywhere nowadays. Important thing is do what makes you happy!

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 07:28:53 AM »
Quits audio to take up Irish Dancing  :rofl:

http://youtu.be/6uPn7_xvj2I
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 07:40:01 AM »
Mike, as someone who has been a Boy Scout leader for almost 20 years now I could never fault someone for wanting to spend time in the woods.  :D

Rich is right, the music will always be there for you to come back to and there will be pleanty of time to play audio games in the years to come.

But what will not be around for much longer is your kids. They are only young once and I think it is a great decision to spend time with them while you can.

Trust me, the time will come all to soon when the only time they want to talk to you is to ask if they can have the car tonight.  :duh   Not that it is necessarily a bad thing, branching out to form new relationships away from your immediate family is a natural part of growing up, but spending time with them now will not only give you memories that could never be replicated, but also will stregthen the bonds you have wil your kids so that they are that much better when they do start to develop a life of their own.

Audio can wait because time marches on.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables