Author Topic: October Rave on the 23d; Rain date: Oct-23  (Read 52595 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: October Rave on the 23d; Rain date: Oct-23
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 11:11:46 AM »
However, it's not the body that has to be parallel to the record surface (although, in a perfect world that would work). It's the stylus being 90 degrees to the groove that is important. Much harder to see, and even that is not entirely correct. What azimuth is really supposed to do is to minimize crosstalk between channels (or maximize channel separation). You really need to measure the output of each channel with a constant sine wave from a test record, one channel at a time.

But, for someone who can't or doesn't want to do that, then eyeballing a square cartridge body is probably the best method available.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2010, 12:08:07 PM »
However, it's not the body that has to be parallel to the record surface (although, in a perfect world that would work). It's the stylus being 90 degrees to the groove that is important. Much harder to see, and even that is not entirely correct. What azimuth is really supposed to do is to minimize crosstalk between channels (or maximize channel separation). You really need to measure the output of each channel with a constant sine wave from a test record, one channel at a time.

But, for someone who can't or doesn't want to do that, then eyeballing a square cartridge body is probably the best method available.

You're right, I was just trying to keep it simple.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

evan1

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2010, 01:13:59 PM »
As usual for a rave, bring what you want and usually it gets played - If not, no biggie.

Looking forward to this - I think the system is sounding fine (I'll probably switch it on Sat AM and think it sounds like crap  :o).

If someone has a digital cable they'd like to show off, I'm game. I'm currently using some sort of cheapy Monster digital and am curious to try something else.

Turntable is up and running (new belt and 4m cables to reach to the preamp) so maybe we can spin some, but I'm hearing a slight lean to the left (more air in L channel) that I can't dial out. Good thing it's a < $100 cartridge, if that's the culprit.

Is the upcoming gorgeous weather this weekend a good or bad omen?

-Mike

Mike

I will not be there . Family crap. I have digital cable that Buddy made . Joe will be bringing it to return to Paul so you can all hear Buddy's cable

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2010, 04:01:49 PM »
Bummer, Evan.

I guess you'll just have to have a mini-rave at your place once they're broken in  :thumb:

evan1

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2010, 04:02:49 PM »
Bummer, Evan.

I guess you'll just have to have a mini-rave at your place once they're broken in  :thumb:

I sure will. You know they are never really mini

AcidJazz

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2010, 04:14:10 PM »
Buddy's Digital cable is quite good...I use it also, beats out my old AudioQuest something, and the good ole Monsters.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2010, 04:19:03 PM »
Levi told me not to pay any $$ until I hear the Buddy digital cable. (The 'Lil Buddy Cable, named after his dac?!)

Straight RCA? BNC option?

I ask because I went to hook my CDP up to my EE dac via optical, and oops, no optical out on the CDP!

So I'd like to use RCA to BNC from the SB Touch to EE, and RCA to RCA from CBP to EE.

AcidJazz

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2010, 04:21:06 PM »
I think he can make up whatever connectors you specify...I got RCA's...I have nothing with BNC...

ltr317

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2010, 06:57:42 PM »
Levi told me not to pay any $$ until I hear the Buddy digital cable. (The 'Lil Buddy Cable, named after his dac?!)

Straight RCA? BNC option?

I ask because I went to hook my CDP up to my EE dac via optical, and oops, no optical out on the CDP!

So I'd like to use RCA to BNC from the SB Touch to EE, and RCA to RCA from CBP to EE.

The loaner cable is rca all the way. 

Ecramer

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2010, 05:42:08 PM »
I am planing on coming always liked mikes speakers

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2010, 09:22:28 AM »
10-day weather forecast: Sunny and 63°. Could it be? :thumb:

I'll get directions out this weekend.

-Mike

Offline mikef

• Seeking Help
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2010, 06:16:36 PM »
Mike - thought I'd let you know I'm planning to attend. Finally you're having a rave on a weekend I'm not working.

Mike Fox

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2010, 09:53:09 AM »
One week away, Weather.com says 61 and sunny

SuperHornet

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2010, 10:31:33 AM »
Cross my fingers on weather. I am in NJ Oct-Nov, I will be there.
quoc

AcidJazz

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2010, 06:17:04 PM »
Hey Mike...looks like I will be making your Rave this year (now watch the dark clouds close in  :lol: ) I have the OK from Modwright to bring their KWA100 SE tour demo amp to the rave for audition.
So stock up on that yummy pie... :thumb:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 09:14:33 PM by AcidJazz »