Author Topic: October Rave on the 23d; Rain date: Oct-23  (Read 52592 times)

gdeering

Re: October Rave on the 23d; Rain date: Oct-23
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 08:08:42 PM »
Unfortunately I'll be in Ohio for Parents day.  I was hoping to go two for two.  Now to look forward to November!

Gregg

eclein

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 06:29:35 AM »
Mike...I'm in, it will be great to meet some of you guys for the first time. :thumb: :thumb:

eleazar

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 03:06:55 PM »
I'll be there Mike remember I'd light to help out Beer or what ever........Bill

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 05:33:12 AM »
Make sure everybody brings their pom poms, especially you topround.....   :rofl:
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 08:11:48 AM »
Hey Mike,

You know we look forward to the event, rain or shine.  For head count purposes, I'd like to be on the list.  However, I likely may not have my car; so would like a lift, if anyone is going via the Holland Tunnel area and is willing to give me a ride......  Please let me know, PM or otherwise.  Thanks in advance. :thumb:

Shek

Offline hogg

• Certifiable
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 06:39:08 PM »
Mike,

I hope to attend.  Thanks.

Jim
Strong as an Ox and twice as smart

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 07:05:07 AM »
Hi Mike -

Looking forward to attending.

I have 3 or 4 BR concert disks I can bring as well. What do you have already?

Gene
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 07:28:05 AM »
Gene,

Return to Forever at Montreaux
Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's  (Tal.... :drool:)
Pat Metheney Group, forget title but live from South Korea - (To me, this disc represents music-making of the highest standard - very impressive)

-Mike

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 09:00:17 AM »
OK - I have the Beck title, will leave it home,

I'll bring;

Chris Botti in Boston
k.d. lang: Live in London With the BBC Concert Orchestra
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

eclein

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 09:20:31 AM »
Mike...are you talking
 Pat Metheny-We Live Here-Live in Japan?
I got that DVD, should I bring it??
 Ed

Offline Barry (NJ)

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 06:46:58 PM »
I can bring Tori Amos Live at Montreux on Blu Ray
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 06:04:26 AM »
As usual for a rave, bring what you want and usually it gets played - If not, no biggie.

Looking forward to this - I think the system is sounding fine (I'll probably switch it on Sat AM and think it sounds like crap  :o).

If someone has a digital cable they'd like to show off, I'm game. I'm currently using some sort of cheapy Monster digital and am curious to try something else.

Turntable is up and running (new belt and 4m cables to reach to the preamp) so maybe we can spin some, but I'm hearing a slight lean to the left (more air in L channel) that I can't dial out. Good thing it's a < $100 cartridge, if that's the culprit.

Is the upcoming gorgeous weather this weekend a good or bad omen?

-Mike

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 06:52:54 AM »
Turntable is up and running (new belt and 4m cables to reach to the preamp) so maybe we can spin some, but I'm hearing a slight lean to the left (more air in L channel) that I can't dial out. Good thing it's a < $100 cartridge, if that's the culprit.

Mike,

Sounds like a cartridge alignment issue. Without knowing what kind of arm you are using, I can't be sure of what adjustments you have available to you. But one of the easiest places to start (if you can is the anti-skating control. If the anti-skating is not set properly the stylus will press harder on one side of the grove than the other, causing a channel imbalance. Try adjusting it and see if that effects the imbalance you are hearing. On most arms with adjustable anti-skating the adjustment is somehow marked with a numerical scale that you are supposed to set equal to the tracking weight you set up for the cartridge. However the calibration on the control is often not a good as it should be, so like most anything else in this hobby, the only way to know for sure that it is set right is to do it by ear.

If you want more info on TT setup, the follow web page give a really nice high level overview of the process:

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttadjust.html
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 07:21:26 AM »
Thanks tmazz,
I have a ProJect TT and arm that uses the dangly-weight type of anti-skate. I've tried no AS, correct AS and too much AS and get the same impression of lack of air in the R channel. I just did as good of a setup job as I can w/ the ProJect protractor.

Some say azimuth can affect channel balance and some disagree - I haven't played with this - It looks as close to level/perpendicular as possible. What say you?

I haven't yet started working my way backwards w/ swapping cable channels, which could identify a preamp or phono preamp issue. I don't want to swap leads on the cartridge as this was a pita to do on initial setup, but I might want to ultimately.

The problem isn't super bad, but does seem present more than not.

My albums are pretty beaten up, so the TT is not my main source so I'm not too worried about the imbalance thing right now.

-Mike

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2010, 08:30:21 AM »
The easiest way to check azimuth is to drop the stylus on a small mirror. If the cartridge is perpendicular with the platter the actual certridge body and the reflected one will form a continuous straight line. If the azimuth is not set correctly then the body and the reflectionwill start to form a slight v around the point where they both meet. Of course this is much more difficult to do if your cartridge is "nude" or the body itself is not perpendicular the the headshell. without a straitedge to use for a reference the reflection provides you with no useful guidance. In that case you would have to play some kind of mono test and measure the output voltages at the turntable jacks to make sure they are the same across the two channels.

You are correct about some people not thinking that azimuth adjustments are important. For example, SME does no provide for any kind of azimuth adjustments on its Series IV and Series V tomearms.

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables