Author Topic: Possible wednsday amp shootout at my house  (Read 7657 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Possible wednsday amp shootout at my house
« on: July 16, 2010, 05:30:17 PM »
Karl has modified Gary's MS 190 amp with a new front end circuit. It consists of  transformer coupled Western Electric 417 tubes.  This new circuit will be shooting off against my identical amp with the original cap coupled 12BY7a tubes. Of course the amps are not truly identical in every respect, but they are pretty close, close enough to judge what this circuit can do.

Maybe early Wednsday evening if anyone wants to join us? Small affair with the usual suspects.

My house ..say 4, 5 6, pm till 10pm(I need my beauty sleep)
We have had several of these things at my house for different reasons, I would like to open it up for anyone who wants come to maintain fairness. Sometimes they are eye opening.

As new ideas are developed I would like to continue to have these intimate evening listening sessions at my house to get peoples impressions and ideas.

I am looking at things in a more DIY approach these days. The glitz and glamour of big name brands have lost their luster for me, it must sound great to hold value for me. And of course price is not really an indicator of quality after a certain point. Soooo.... My gear is my lab. Since I don't own anything of very high worth I will mod it all and see how far I can go, not Vcap mods, but circuit mods and power supply mods, maybe change dacs, or tubes.
I remember going to RMAF 07, I went in all the big name rooms, sneaking a peak at the horn rooms and diy guys and just walking in and walking out. Now I will walk in and out of the big names, and hang in the horn rooms and the diy guys rooms, the specialty dark arts rooms!
This October I am taking my son to RMAF, he really wants to go. I changed tubes in a preamp last night, my son walks in after 5 seconds and says,"Dad, I can hear more low notes now" He was dead on right, those tubes had very extended bass. I was shocked he could tell so quickly. Yes, you and I ..no problem, but a 10 year old boy? Made me proud. :oops:

Must go back to my "history of audio transformers" by GAV Sowter, very interesting stuff :thumb:

MIke
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Possible wednsday amp shootout at my house
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 06:28:03 PM »
Similar feelings here about brands and DIY. Takes more energy but I like the different rewards diy offers.

Wish I could make your jam Mike.
Rich

evan1

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 01:33:48 AM »
Going to miss this one also

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 08:00:25 AM »
Mike,
Wish I could make it, but... another time! Must sound great!

Those WE 417A's can be a bit noisy in a preamp & need to screened for noise. However, they'd probably do well driving a amplifier stage! I have quite a few 417A's for my Loesch but only a couple really usable as spares... having very sensitive 104dB horns does have its drawbacks...

Hope to see you soon,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Barry (NJ)

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 09:09:57 AM »
I should be able to swing by, but it'll probably be closer to a 7:30-8 arrival time, I'm stuck in the office until 6.
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline mikef

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 09:46:30 AM »
I can probably come by at some point Wednesday evening. Is Karl going to be there for the comparison? I'd like to give him my preamp to look at.

Mike

Deton Nation

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 04:13:55 PM »
Sounds like fun. Too far for my ass.
M

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 10:16:49 AM »
Yes,
Karl will be there.
And yes I find the 417 has too much gain for a pre, noise levels are high, Karl is going to put in another choke to help with noise. And yet the preamp that Karl designed with the 417 sounded absolutley killer one night.

Trying to get WE 437, but they are rare and Expensive! ALso looking into its Russian counterpart which is supposed to be a very nice sounding tube.

I have a bunch of Amperex 417's that were hand picked for a Loesch phono pre for MC. The pre employed ten of these tubes on a teflon circuit board with gold traces! Very interesting stuff!Mike

And yes Mike F  bring the preamp.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:37:27 PM by topround »
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline mikef

• Seeking Help
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 12:42:39 PM »
Mike-

Cool, I'll be there with my pre!

Offline Packfill

• Seeking Help
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 01:38:22 PM »
Hi Mike,
I'm going to try to make it tomorrow.
Besides the music and company, I would enjoy the chance to continue my tube "catechism".

Do you have a view as to when the traffic starts to get bad leaving Manhattan for your place?
-Robert M

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 02:27:58 PM »
Wednsday "may " be on hold

I will let you know as things develop.

Mike

evan1

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 04:28:23 PM »
Wednsday "may " be on hold

I will let you know as things develop.

Mike

you know there's a word for women like you  :yay2:

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 08:09:49 PM »
OK we are on

Full steam ahead

Several things to listen to tomorrow

201 954 3163

Burning things in as I write

Mike

Offline Barry (NJ)

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 06:26:12 AM »
Cool, I'll see you guys this evening!
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 11:41:20 AM »
OK
Cancelled again

sorry  :duh
problems

Mike