Author Topic: The audio gods are kind!  (Read 5554 times)

shep

The audio gods are kind!
« on: December 30, 2009, 10:23:14 AM »
After traveling around 15,000 miles, my Marantz returned to me tonight in one piece! I powered it up and by gumption, it still works and not only that but it sounds GREAT! this after a shocking experience: cold, heartless, careless, bewildering, you name it...baby came home to papa sporting some new parts. I don't have the invoice so I don't know what he did even! Well I see some "S" regs that weren't there before but that isn't all. Anyway great relief and good riddance to Fed Ex (who didn't even deliver it in the end it was a local carrier who knows where I live. Really and truly I am one lucky audiophile! Happy New Year me!
ps John is having trouble getting back to us. His firewall is blocking access. Any ideas? He wants me to talk about my Pseudo Slkworms. I don't know what to say..now that they are pointing in the right direction they sound just what you would expect from a very talented cable maker. Maybe he will say more about them when he finds his way back into the fold. Phew!!! time for some break in of new parts. This sweet folly never ends does it...? You don't have to answer that  :duh

Bigfish8

Re: The audio gods are kind!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:42:56 AM »
Congratulations Shep!  We will look forward to your comments once break-in is complete.

Ken

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 11:01:28 AM »
Post the changes if you ever find out. Good to know it finally arrived.

PM sent to John KCI.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 11:36:43 AM »
Glad she made it back home safely Shep.  Looking forward to your impressions.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 11:58:22 AM »
Shep,

Gald to hear that it finally made it home and in working order to boot!

You just can't make this stuff up....... ](*,)

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

shep

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 12:00:45 PM »
Listening impressions? much better timing; attack and decay, big transients handled with ease. Better sound stage. (No you really can't make this stuff up!) I'll post later. I'm revelling.
With just a few hours, sounds staggeringly improved. Whatever he did under the hood...the soundstage has gone way back and into the corners and what I call "layering", the placement of instruments, especially in good studio recordings, is remarkably improved. Any of you got an old servicable 63 or 67 in the closet, do yourself a favor and send it to this guy (with a check!) you will not be sorry. Long live redbook seniors! and imagine; there are two more levels to go :shock:
http://www.audioupgrades.co.uk/
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:59:18 PM by shep »

shep

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 10:06:25 AM »
Some more hours on the Marantz; I got the invoice. He changed much more than I could see. New master clock, Black Gates here and there and other stuff. I Hope these are not the kind of BG's that take years to break in! It's sounding better and better. Compaired it to a vintage Teac, a much more expensive and heavier machine at the time. It blew the Teac out of the water and sent it hope in disgrace. The difference was astonishing. The Teac sounded like a clock radio in comparaison  :shock: Nice nice.

shep

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:49:32 AM »
Informed by The Man, and confirmed by various DIY Forum members, that the next two levels are where the real changes really take place  :shock: Guess I better start saving up for this. I'm rather proud that I can resist (for a while). Really it is remarkable the new tricks you can teach an old dog!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 10:57:20 AM »
oh yes they are. just got back the  Lector CDP. needed a newaser as the last one was NOT the corrct one. a cheap BS substitution. Upgraed power supply caps in analog board to larger value same manf.
   so far so good. Work was done by "The Service Dept" in the authorized service dept for; Mcintosh, Chord, exposure, lector, VTL, Joule, Gamut,  Ayon audio and Tube research Labs
   $85/ Hr. on time thorough and cleaned the unit very nicely. steven@theservicedepartmentct.com

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 12:44:16 PM »
oh yes they are. just got back the  Lector CDP. needed a newaser as the last one was NOT the corrct one. a cheap BS substitution. Upgraed power supply caps in analog board to larger value same manf.
   so far so good. Work was done by "The Service Dept" in the authorized service dept for; Mcintosh, Chord, exposure, lector, VTL, Joule, Gamut,  Ayon audio and Tube research Labs
   $85/ Hr. on time thorough and cleaned the unit very nicely. steven@theservicedepartmentct.com

charles

The Lector had the wrong laser in it??? Too much wine & too many siestas in Italy... isn't "Rollo" Italian???

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 06:55:16 AM »
oh yes they are. just got back the Lector CDP. needed a newaser as the last one was NOT the correct one. a cheap BS substitution. Upgraded power supply caps in analog board to larger value same manf.
  SO far so good. Work was done by "The Service Dept" in the authorized service dept for; Mcintosh, Chord, exposure, lector, VTL, Joule, Gamut,  Ayon audio and Tube research Labs
   $85/ Hr. on time thorough and cleaned the unit very nicely. steven@theserviced substitute that was installed by the repair guy.

The Lector had the wrong laser in it??? Too much wine & too many siestas in Italy... isn't "Rollo" Italian???

The replacement laser installed when the original laser failed at 6000 hours plus. The tech installed a Sony equivalent in lieu of the Phillips CDM-12.The Tech is POLISH. Now thank goodness the correct laser sled is in again. Very happy "I" talian camper.The NOS tele 12AT7s are helping out as well.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 05:12:23 PM »
oh yes they are. just got back the Lector CDP. needed a newaser as the last one was NOT the correct one. a cheap BS substitution. Upgraded power supply caps in analog board to larger value same manf.
  SO far so good. Work was done by "The Service Dept" in the authorized service dept for; Mcintosh, Chord, exposure, lector, VTL, Joule, Gamut,  Ayon audio and Tube research Labs
   $85/ Hr. on time thorough and cleaned the unit very nicely. steven@theserviced substitute that was installed by the repair guy.

The replacement laser installed when the original laser failed at 6000 hours plus. The tech installed a Sony equivalent in lieu of the Phillips CDM-12.The Tech is POLISH. Now thank goodness the correct laser sled is in again. Very happy "I" talian camper.The NOS tele 12AT7s are helping out as well.

charles

Sir Charles,
You bet your DUPA!!! I heard the best techs are RUSSIAN, down in Brighton Beach with Vladmir Lamm.

Ciao baby,
Pierre
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS