Author Topic: while on the subject...  (Read 5057 times)

shep

while on the subject...
« on: December 14, 2009, 11:07:18 AM »
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/psaudio7/perfectwave.html
Not only does this new harware/software sound mouthwateringly good (meaning it could/should)
I found the intro (which is most of the review) very coherant and interesting. WHat think you all?
Is this the Final Solution?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: while on the subject...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 11:38:53 AM »
Passing comments I have read about the DAC suggest that it's the real deal. That's a nice review!  I'm sure there are more reviews in the pipeline.

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 12:51:27 PM »
Too rich for my blood, but perhaps the beginnings of next generation of digital sources.  Seems like the transport is half way towards being an audio dedicated computer (just add HD's or SSD's).  Other than the nice, simple user interface with built in screen, what does the transport do that an audio dedicated computer wouldn't (with the xxHighEnd software mentioned in the review) for a whole lot less?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 02:05:03 PM »
Many people don't want to use a computer, but will appreciate the sound quality of digital stream originating in RAM. 

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 02:32:02 AM »
This PSAudio pair reminds me of the Olive products, more sophisticated but lacking on board storage, and more expensive.  Seems to be trying hard not to be a computer.

Doesn't any ripping involve the advantage of buffering and multiple reads to achieve bit perfect pickup that all computers need to do? 

BTW I am firmly in the camp of needing friendly/bullet proof computing solutions.   :oops:

shep

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 05:53:41 AM »
I'm totally weird I guess. I'm very computer literate and couldn't imagine life without but for some reason I am very resistant to the idea of using my laptop as a music source. I like having a stand alone cdp player. Even if it is a kind of computer in desguise, the Perfect Wave appeals to me as an alterative and I look forward to more reviews and like comparisons. Meanwhile I remain in the dark ages of redbook. Having said that I am sure my newly modded marantz, when it appears in my malebox, will be a joy to hear. Brent, the guy in England, knows things about tweaking that most of us can only dream of. He is an extreem tecky with a golden ear and a willingness to try anything and everything.

Deton Nation

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 07:06:11 AM »
I like the I2s and how it sends the info and is timed by the DAC. Cleaner than being timed then retimng to rid jitter. I dont use a CD player and I dont believe there are any I2s outputs on the Squeezebox.
Mike

bacobits

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 07:39:30 AM »
Shep, Your not weird or maybe old like me?
I agree I am also computer literate and still much prefer my CD player.
It's hands on like vinyl and I like that.
The "dark ages of Redbook" can sound very satisfying here.
I don't like combining the 2 and that also goes for home theater.

The PS Audio offering is way out of my reach.
I bet you will be satisfied with your modded Marantz.
I heard that CD63 SE many years ago and at the time it was great for the price. It was the mod machine.
Ah' Tjoeb was using them for awhile too?

I am also stuck on a CAL Audio Icon MKII Super BOSS Upgrade. There is one on Agon right now.
I would love to have it.

Den
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:00:23 AM by bacobits »

shep

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 08:02:30 AM »
I feel less alone (and old-fashioned)  :D

Deton Nation

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 08:08:06 AM »
I have the 63SE by Marantz. Havent played it in 10 years... sitting in the closet. Was a really sweet sounding machine.
M

shep

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 08:26:23 AM »
Both the 63 and the 67 were/are the modder's delight. I could never afford the really high end players but have a lot of fun sending mine away and having it come back transformed. Funny that such old technology can still hold its own today. (shades of TT's?) The one high end player I really lusted after was the big Sony's from the 80's. I know that they could be taken to hights that shamed the Wadia's and others of the day. Unfortunately they are still very sought after and if I'm not mistaken, unlike Phillips-based machines, it is impossible to replace the lasers today if they go (which they do). You should take that 63 out of the closet and send it somewhere (I guess ENgland is not a reasonable option) to be worked on. You would be surprised what a few 100$ in good parts and clever tweaking will do for it.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 09:26:51 AM »
I like the I2s and how it sends the info and is timed by the DAC. Cleaner than being timed then retimng to rid jitter. I dont use a CD player and I dont believe there are any I2s outputs on the Squeezebox.
Mike

There is I2S in SB somewhere Mike, going into the DAC. But might not be easy to expose. Steve Nugent, Mike Galusha or JoshK would be the guys I would ask whether it's possible to expose it for an outside DAC, inorder to skip conversion I2S>SPDIF>I2S for transport to another box. With good jitter reduction scheme it really shouldn't matter. Your BDA-1 has excellent jitter reduction, so I don't know if I2S input would make any difference. Data and timing is all it is. The data is always perfect, even on $20 DVD player. BDA reduces jitter to <1pS. You're there man.