Author Topic: New DAC  (Read 10048 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: New DAC
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 06:36:32 AM »
JLM, did you get his cap output mod too? Can you write a little review of the sound in a new thread? Especially interested in how the cap mod affects bass response. Thanks
Rich

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 03:10:32 AM »
I reposted my review of the Scott Endler modded Behringer DEQ2496 from AC down below.

Since that review I've replaced the Stereophile Class C rated Oppo DV970-HD with an Onix CD-3 (improved resolution yet doesn't "harm" poor recordings, nice) and have shipped my Fostex F200A drivers off the Bud Purvine to receive EnABL treatments (dang I miss those speakers).  So I haven't had a chance to gather many more impressions.

westcoastman

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 07:36:26 AM »
Getting back to the original post... I finally replaced my Stello DA100 with a PS Audio DL III W/Cullin Stage III modifications.  I went with this because I have read positive things about this unit with Cullen mods and it fell within my price range.

When I first plugged it in and started listening, I was a little disappointed.  it was still bright, something I wanted to eliminate.  I left it a few hours and came back to start listening again and noticed it was not as bright and was starting to sound the way I was hoping.  For the rest of the evening I just kept playing favourite tracks from my collection where it came to the point where I had to turn off the system... I needed sleep.

For me, this was a worthwhile investment and I will sell my Stello early in the new year.

Merry Christmas to All!