Author Topic: New DAC  (Read 10049 times)

westcoastman

New DAC
« on: October 20, 2009, 02:54:18 PM »
I'm itching to replace my Stella DA-100 DAC but I am having a little bit of a tough time trying to decide on which on of the following I should get as a replacement, the Bryston BDA-1 or the Bel Canto DAC3.

Anybody have an opinion on either?  I wouldn't be buying these new. There are a few on Audiogon and find the Bel Canto's going for less than the Bryston.

Deton Nation

Re: New DAC
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 06:20:25 PM »
Hey! Its Stello right? I had the Stello DA-100 Signature right before I got my BDA-1 from Bryston. The Stello was pratty and almost aggressive, which I liked. The BDA-1 is a much more sophisticated Beast, very even handed and natural across the board. Also more resolving with a sweeter more extended top end. Its definitely a step up from the Stello DAC, though that DAC had some great qualities too.
Mike

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 06:49:32 PM »
If you can hold on a bit longer I know Eastern Electric will be coming out with a dac shortly, I'm waiting on the final price now. Using the ES 9018  32 bit dac chip.
 Carl, feel free to delete this if you want or if anybody objects as I don't want to seem like I'm advertising.
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

westcoastman

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 06:52:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies...I'll be patient.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 08:08:57 PM »
If you can hold on a bit longer I know Eastern Electric will be coming out with a dac shortly, I'm waiting on the final price now. Using the ES 9018  32 bit dac chip.
 Carl, feel free to delete this if you want or if anybody objects as I don't want to seem like I'm advertising.

I'm not deleting it, it's on topic and makes sense.. There's no rule about offering something you sell if it's pertinent...  But you may want to put an announcement in the market area about your new gear also so we can get more info.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Bill O'Connell

• http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 09:33:04 PM »
I will once I have some facts :thumb: Should know in a couple of days hopefully.
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline spudco

• Seeking Help
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 07:22:00 AM »
I'm next in line to try a Nekaudio Dac.  I should have it in a week or two.  Several folks have really enjoyed it and I'm glad to have a chance to try it out in my system.

I will post my impressions.

westcoastman

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 08:44:06 AM »
Unfortunately, I am unable demo anything here.  The typical thing here is if you want something they will order it in for you and you have to give them a commitment to purchase and then if it's not suitable they don't want to give you a refund but store credit.

I even tried searching for a local audiophile type club, where maybe you can swap components with someone to try out different things.  No such luck

NekoAudio

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 04:00:18 PM »
Unfortunately, I am unable demo anything here....

I noticed you're in Canada. I currently have a unit going around up in Canada as part of the loaner program that would let you demo my DAC, the Neko Audio D100, in your home free of charge (you just pay shipping to the next person). You can read the details here: Canada Loaner Program.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 06:02:30 AM »
Cool. Are you considering a USA tour ? If so I'm in.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

NekoAudio

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 08:07:24 AM »
Hi, Charles. There's a separate U.S. Loaner Program going on. :) It works the same way as the Canada program. The only difference is the Canada unit is a D100 and the U.S. unit is a D100 Mk2.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 09:13:03 AM »
Hi, Charles. There's a separate U.S. Loaner Program going on. :) It works the same way as the Canada program. The only difference is the Canada unit is a D100 and the U.S. unit is a D100 Mk2.

Can I ask why that is? I was interested in hearing one myself as I'm a bit of a DAC junkie but the D100 doesn't really interest me.

NekoAudio

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 06:44:52 PM »
Can I ask why that is? I was interested in hearing one myself as I'm a bit of a DAC junkie but the D100 doesn't really interest me.

You mean why is the Canada unit a D100 and the U.S. one a D100 Mk2? I started the program before the Mk2, and one of the U.S. program participants asked if he could purchase the D100 that he was auditioning. He did so, and I put the Mk2 into circulation.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 08:07:30 AM »

Great. Thank you. I'll register.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline JLM

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 03:15:59 AM »
For less than $300 Scott Endler modded the DAC in my Behringer DEQ2496 with the same AKG chip as the Logitech Transporter uses.  So for $700 you get DEQ and a very good DAC.