Author Topic: I have a horrid itch!  (Read 11928 times)

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: I have a horrid itch!
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 01:09:59 PM »
"'Neath tile or thatch, a man is rich, who has a scratch for every itch"

Or something like that, from Ogden Nash

-Mike

lonewolfny42

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 01:40:46 PM »
Jen Chapin didn't get such a good review on Amazon though. Is it just another audiiophile recording or does the music and performance have merit too?

"Quite boring, disappointing interpretations of Stevie Wonder songs. It's obvious that Chapin has not the capabilites to master difficult (or even not so difficult) passages, one can even hear some wrong tones. Chesky features much better singers: Carla Lother, Marta Gomez, Valerie Joyce... Even the musical arrangements don't knock me off my feet."

Just the one song that I played in every room I went too....
...the rest of the album is not that good...IMO.

Captain Humble liked the tune - so I played it and a few others from the Rave Cd....
....and the Rave Cd was passed on to different vendors.

Jen Chapin - " You Haven't Done Nothin' "

Short sample here....first tune.... http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7949109

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 02:34:21 PM »
Thanks for the mo mo links wolfy. Are you trying to stir up trouble? I have put 5 of your Lenehan links into the toilet reading pile just today!  I have 4 tabs open to all the sites.

I'm with you, let the dollar fall to record low, then then buy the big version. Butcha know, a couple nice subs and some speakers that I can actually carry without a handtruck would be pretty nice, then they can play in my  small room 11x12 if I want to be a hermit.

shep, buy my Ushers and I will send you a pair of Lenehans as a bonus. ;)

lonewolfny42

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 02:45:50 PM »
In the hotel room....they didn't need a sub Rich.

Hope you get a chance to hear them on day. 8)

shep

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 03:18:56 PM »
No way! I'm lucky I can put gas in the car. Just an itch...I got a nice sound. Why spoil it? Then I'll need a better amp and a better cdp and the dance goes on. I ordered some cables from Paul (CoolCables). That is my splurge for the year. Not that I don't like Grover's latest, because I do, a lot. You know how it goes. You gotta scratch something! and John is such a gent. Who could resist?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 03:20:47 PM by shep »

Offline eastwes

• Seeking Help
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 09:29:05 PM »
Jen Chapin didn't get such a good review on Amazon though. Is it just another audiiophile recording or does the music and performance have merit too?

"Quite boring, disappointing interpretations of Stevie Wonder songs. It's obvious that Chapin has not the capabilites to master difficult (or even not so difficult) passages, one can even hear some wrong tones. Chesky features much better singers: Carla Lother, Marta Gomez, Valerie Joyce... Even the musical arrangements don't knock me off my feet."

Hey Bob,

You can't always trust what a "reviewer" writes.  This is certainly true to a huge extent with movies (I just saw a movie this evening that received critical acclaim; but that for me ranks as among the most boring movies I seen of late) -- and obviously holds true for music.  That said, while both forms of creative expression are governed by subjective merits, in the case of the Jen Chapin SACD, this one is truly a keeper.  Incidentally, Steve Guttenberg (reviewer and fellow friend of ours) gave the disc his highest recommendations... (as do I) :beer:  You can trust this one!!!

Try it out.  I'll bet you're going to love it!
Get it on, bang a gong, get it on.

Offline hogg

• Certifiable
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 07:14:18 PM »
The Opera Callas, the model I own, was about $3000-$3500, when new.  The latest model with the five tweeters is over $5000.  The Australian Lenehan speaker delivered to the US is about $2800.  If the Lenehan's are as good as the initial reports, then they're not over-priced by any means.

These John K kits from Madisound are rated excellent by many reviewers, and only $640.
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35_425&products_id=8306

Jim
Strong as an Ox and twice as smart

Offline hogg

• Certifiable
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 11:59:12 AM »
Just saw this on A'Gon

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1261078967&/Opera-Callas-perfect

Jim

Strong as an Ox and twice as smart