Author Topic: OPPO BLUERAY  (Read 5524 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
OPPO BLUERAY
« on: September 23, 2009, 08:40:53 AM »
  Well its getting some serious attention even a class "A" rating from Sterophile. For $499 smackaroos class "A" sound. Anyone hear one yet ? Curious about the CD, SACD sections  [2 channel].

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Black Sand Cable

Re: OPPO BLUERAY
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 11:32:34 AM »
I had one on pre-order and canceled it.

The video performance is darn good as you would expect but in spite of some folks saying it's a great sounding unit, I have heard otherwise.

A dealer who's ears I trust compared it to a few other Blu-Ray players and felt that the audio performance was lacking when directly compared against other players.

If somebody just wanted it for Blu-Ray, I think this thing will be tough to beat but if your looking for more, this might not be the end all that some people are making it out to be.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 05:52:01 AM »
I had one on pre-order and canceled it.

The video performance is darn good as you would expect but in spite of some folks saying it's a great sounding unit, I have heard otherwise.

A dealer who's ears I trust compared it to a few other Blu-Ray players and felt that the audio performance was lacking when directly compared against other players.

If somebody just wanted it for Blu-Ray, I think this thing will be tough to beat but if your looking for more, this might not be the end all that some people are making it out to be.

Thanks for the heads up. Thought it was to good to be true.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 06:09:24 AM »
http://www.stereophile.com/musicintheround/music_in_the_round_37/index2.html

I don't think it received Stereophile class A rating? I'll check the current magazine later.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 03:38:11 PM »
You're right Charles, class A in the magazine

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
But ultimately.....that is still nothing more then one mans opinion.

Those ratings have always made me laugh.....but that conversation is for another day.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 05:27:56 AM »
I agree. There are only a few people whose opinion I trust enough to make the effort to hear it. And there are others that are always wrong, so I know they are lying. Kal Rubinson is not one of the former.

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 04:39:32 AM »
I have listened to this unit from the cd section only. As a cd player, it is not good. Period. Preceding the rating is this Editors's Note: "SACD and DVD-A players ratings are based on how they sound with their respective hi-rez media, not CD." There's the disclaimer for the cd section playback. The reviewer then ads that this player used through the HMDI output as a transport pops up to A+ rating???

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 07:54:45 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Henry.

charles

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 08:51:21 AM »
The only DAC I know to accept HDMI audio stream is Denon receiver, but proprietary only from Denon player.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 02:11:42 PM »
it's a very good blu-ray player.  The video is quite good out of it compared to the high dollar units.  As a CD transport, it's passable feeding digital out to an external DAC... for SACD analog playback....... uh no comment.... for CD analog playback.... uh no comment...

I've only briefly tried its surround formats through HDMI into the Marantz pre-pro here... It's not bad..... but has a lot of the same character as two channel CD digital fed to an external DAC....  The Marantz pre-pro is an absolute steal for the price if you are concerned about analog playback combined in a multi-channel unit btw... 

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 02:49:14 PM »
I gotta figure out how to get DSD stream out of my Samsung disc player, because the Buffalo can D/A that.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 05:12:25 AM »
The Marantz pre-pro is an absolute steal for the price if you are concerned about analog playback combined in a multi-channel unit btw... 
Marantz makes excellent gear in my opinion.  They seem overlooked in the high-end world but I would have a Marantz over any other mid or upper-mid fi stuff.  Some of their 8000 series stuff was really high end sounding.. at somewhat sane msrp.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.