Author Topic: PerfectWave DAC: anyone listened to this thing?  (Read 7765 times)

Phil

PerfectWave DAC: anyone listened to this thing?
« on: May 12, 2009, 03:18:49 PM »
Interesting concepts, as usual, from PS Audio.  Does it deliver?

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/description/perfectwave-dac?cat=audio

Phil

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: PerfectWave DAC: anyone listened to this thing?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »
Interesting concepts, as usual, from PS Audio.  Does it deliver?

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/description/perfectwave-dac?cat=audio

Phil

Not yet, but the poetry is superb, as usual from PSAudio.

I wonder if Rick Cullen had anything to do with it, or if he is not involved with new PS Audio designs anymore?  Seems like a very well thought out piece.

Don't forget the matching transport too:
http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/perfectwave-transport?cat=audio

Phil

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 05:47:12 PM »
I always get the feeling that they are best at creating excitement, but thus far (and they make the point that this unit is different) there have been plenty of mods by other folks because PS Audio seems to keep the parts cost low. 

In the recent past, they seemed to have rushed product to market.  The plan, such that it is, seems to reflect the owners need to have a new project going at all times.  Not a bad quality if you are doing this at home   :lol:  but not the best way for a company to build confidence in potential customers -- as soon as you get the product home it is ready for the modder or obsolescence. 

Or am I being overly critical today?

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 07:34:05 PM »
.....and if anybody cares, retail on this and PWT is $3K a piece!

I had a chat not long ago with Dave Kakenmaster who is the current VP of Sales & Marketing at PS Audio. Dave is an old Definitive & Polk Audio guy who is passionate about audio. He is pumped about this and the PWT. Granted he works for PS Audio so of course he is going to promote it but I have talked to Dave a few times and he tends to tell it like it is.

He feels that everything PS Audio can do has gone into these units and until they start getting out there and get in the hands of end users, I cant really argue with him.

They are pricey however and based on that, I'm honestly not sure how many people will make the jump. There is a lot of buzz out there on these at the moment but will the selling price kill it?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 08:58:57 PM »
Together they still cost less than Esoteric and dCS stacks, even some excellent CDPs like AR CD8. Correct pricing depends on their target market and how many they need to sell to break even. I'm sure they plan to raise prices once they start rolling out. Putting them in 2 boxes was smart, many will just buy the DAC for their Sonos or PUTER. It would be cool if the transport could also rip bit perfect to a drive. Also cheaper than the darling of the moment, Berkeley Alpha DAC - $5k. 

EDIT, no not cheaper than the Berkeley which is just a DAC.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:49:46 AM by richidoo »

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
What I find odd is that the DAC can play files stored on a network but the transport can't, at least not yet. They are working on adding this feature. I also find the upcoming USB DAC from Ayre very interesting. I listened to the prototype at the Ayre factory at a audio club meeting and it sounded very good, at least in that system. Top of the line TAD speakers probably didn't hurt either. :)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 02:28:04 PM »
So, is there no remote?  Do they expect you to get out your reading glasses and walk up to the player every time you want to switch music?
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 03:33:35 PM »
I believe you are supposed to use a iPod touch or an iPhone as the remote, so that makes it a $3300 box.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 06:47:43 PM »
Sounds like it's just as simple (or complicated) as using any other music server type of system.  I still haven't found much I like better than good ol' Foobar and Windows server full of organized FLAC files.

I'm interested in new DAC's.. I might have Scott Nixon look over the one he made a couple of years ago and see if he's got any new improvements worth having.. I especially am looking for an improvement in bass performance.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 06:34:09 PM »
I heard this DAC and felt it was kind of Hi-fi sounding.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 12:14:28 PM »
I have both the DAC and Transport running in a dedicated two channel system and have for sometime now and I think both are darn nice pieces. I was going to post that I had the combo running and that I'm currently one of the few dealers in North America with stock but I tend to try and stay clear of shameless self promotion!  8)

The combo is currently being fed into a set of GamuT L7's that are being powered by a pair of McCormack DNA-750's (that I have here on trial). The GamuT's are going to take a break soon and be replaced by a set of Gemme Audio Katana's that I again recently received to audition. After that, the plan is to have this system run a pair of Zu Audio Essence but the Essence for reasons unknown are taking forever and a day to get done.

Anyway, the DAC is the best I have heard to date.....and God knows I have heard more then my fair share over the last year. It's that simple.

PS Audio put everything they had into these and in my humble opinion, they have a winner. The price may be a deal breaker for some but once you compare them to a nice DAC & transport combo, the price looks far better especially when you factor in the end performance.

GamuT L7's - http://www.gamutaudio.com/products/details.asp?id=11

Gemme Audio Katana's - http://www.gemmeaudio.com/page2/page4/Katana.html

Zu Audio Essence - http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=73&category_id=1

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 02:25:53 PM »
Thanks for the update John. Sounds like you have quite a serious system put together.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 02:30:22 PM »
Thanks for the update John. Sounds like you have quite a serious system put together.

It thumps pretty darn good if I do say so myself....... :D

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 08:04:28 AM »
Well PS Audio makes some great gear. No question. The new DAC is innovative and sounds promising. BTW their new powercords are no slouch either.
  I heard the DAC but not in my system so NO comment. However compared to other DACs present it held its own but was not fully broken in so again hard to say.
  Now those Gamut speakers need a home. I loved the Gurus at the show. Actually we [ was giving Lars a helping hand , when I was selling the Promitheus TVCs.] had the entire editorial staff [ except Atkinson] from Streophile there for a private demo. THEY LOVED THEM. Hence the reviews. great product line . GOOD LUCK.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.