Author Topic: Avantgarde Duo Series 2 Hornspeakers  (Read 4526 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Avantgarde Duo Series 2 Hornspeakers
« on: May 05, 2009, 03:10:28 PM »
Anybody ever hear these?   I've always thought they looked awesome but have never had a chance to listen.   Given that their available in NC from this A'gon post, I was just curious....

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1246640419

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
Re: Avantgarde Duo Series 2 Hornspeakers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 04:06:39 PM »
 I heard them 5-6 years ago at one of my dealers showroom and they bar none gave the best drum presentation I have ever heard. Honestly, I thought the drummer was in the room with us.They were spectacular in his dedicated room. ITS ALIVE!!!
 I would imagine you need to give them room to breath though.Your room had better be up to the task.
 Carl's mancave would be a great place. :lol:
 They are the definition for dynamic.
Faster then the words coming out of your loved one proclaiming" Your not putting those in here!" :rofl:
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 06:02:43 PM »
As cool as I think they look, my room is only 12' wide and I don't think they'd work.    And, yes!  Set against that deep red of Carl's walls - awesome! :rofl:

dragan

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 08:54:21 PM »
I've owned various Uno and Duo models for the past 8,9 years. Currently have a red Duo, leftover from a Avantgarde/47 Labs system, just sitting there. Have been doing most of my listening with Quads which are part of my second system. I do have an extra Quad CDP-2, an Aleph 3 amp and an Aleph L pre and am thinking about hooking it all up and once again getting the Duo to sing.

To me, it's an absolutely amazing speaker, in the right system, not so much room dependent. Some people would say - get an Uno and then upgrade to a Trio, skip the Duo all together. I had a chance to listen extensively to a Trio as well as an opportunity to buy one but didn't. Duo just did it for me.

Good luck if you decide to purchase. I do think you should take a listen first. Getting the horns to integrate with subs could be frustrating. Nirvana jumpers are a must. In other words, running them full range (bypassing the crossover) you get better results. Hope it helps.

Dragan
TheAudioXchange

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 06:58:10 AM »
Have been hearing a lot of good things about the Nirvana jumpers. Are they still made ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

dragan

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 08:15:53 AM »
Charles,

I'm not sure. I bought mine long time ago and haven't checked since. I believe Cardas makes them as well... You can even make them yourself. The important thing is to run the speakers full range. Jumpers give you this ability.

Dragan

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 05:24:59 AM »
Charles,

I'm not sure. I bought mine long time ago and haven't checked since. I believe Cardas makes them as well... You can even make them yourself. The important thing is to run the speakers full range. Jumpers give you this ability.

Dragan

Thanks for the response. I run my Pipedreams full range and adjust the sub accordingly. Did not care for the crossover by nearfield acoustics that came with speakers. I was curious about the Nirvana jumpers as Steve Rochlin of ETM.com used them when he reviewed the Consonance Cyber 211s which I use. Just was curious, thanks again.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.