Author Topic: Salk Sound HT2's in da house!  (Read 6158 times)

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
Salk Sound HT2's in da house!
« on: October 04, 2008, 10:59:58 PM »
Hi Guys,

This is my first post in quite a while and I thought I'd try to generate some interest.  Some of you may be aware but I am a regular at audiocircle. I received my Salk Sound HT2's over a week ago and these are some comments I would like to share with you all:

I ordered my Salk Sound HT2's a few months ago from Jim. He was good to deal with swapping emails and taking the odd phone call from me. I live in Perth, Western Australia and I was pretty nervous about spending so much money on a product I wouldn't have an opportunity to listen to prior to putting down my cash.

Over the years I've read a lot of comments regarding Jim's products and his direct selling method. I even swapped pm's with Dennis Murphy and Zybar regarding what I was after in a speaker. For a long time I lived with a pair of custom made speakers that used a Raven 1 ribbon tweeter and 2 x 7inch focal mid/bass drivers in an mtm configuration. It was a great sounding speaker but over a period of time I became bored with the sound and decided I needed a change. I then built a zalytron speaker kit called the phenomenal speaker. It was a bit of a disaster and it never really sounded that good imo. I then bought a pair of Nuforce s9 speakers which I purchased as a demo from my local dealer. These are a good quality audiophile speaker but I always felt they didn't perform as well as my raven/focal speaker. I know its a long intro but it explains my nervousness.

I own a number of amplifiers. Ps audio hca - 2(modded), 2 x N.E.W. 20.1's and a Son of Ampzilla. I also use a modded pioneer as a transport into a perpetual technologies p3a (modwright level 2) and a N.E.W. p3 preamp. I think I've got a pretty good system to evaluate these speakers.

I've probably got about 50 hours on the speakers at this stage. After I set up the speakers in my listening room I decided to have a listen to them. Remember, they had been sent half way around the world by sea. On first listening to them I thought they sounded fairly good. After about half an hour of warm up I decided to put Jim's cd into the mix. The sound quality that I was getting from these speakers was pretty impressive. I've read a lot of threads about Jim's opinion of speaker design and I can confirm that the midrange in these speakers is very good.

The bass is pretty articulate and for a speaker of this size they go quite low and in fact are enough for my needs. The top end is really very good and provides a real natural sound quality. A few months ago I read a review of zaph audio where ribbon tweeters were tested against some of the best dome tweeters and apparently they didn't perform as well as the domes on the distortion tests. I personally would like to say that a ribbon tweeter certainly adds a level of naturalness that I just haven't heard in a dome tweeter. Remember, I did have my nuforce s9's (Editors Choice Award winner by TAS) to compare them with.

In comparison with my s9's the HT2's are more 3 dimensional, have a top end that I prefer and the bass is more articulate and did I mention they provide a lot of detail. These speakers cost me $3695us compared to $5500us for the Nuforce speakers. Not bagging the Nuforce but it certainly does show that Jim's direct selling method provides so much value to the consumer.  My main complaint with the s9's was an overpowering bass that really wasn't as articulate that I am used to listening to in my system. 

Garbage in garbage out certainly describes these speakers. I'm going thru my cd's at the moment and so many of them are fairly average compared with the tracks available on Jim's cd. I've also read a number comments regarding opinions that the seas driver is overly analytical. I personally don't agree I would say that in my opinion they are neutral and have what I would describe as a very classy sound and even my wife thinks they sound good. I think they are rated at 88db and I'm currently using an N.E.W. 20.1 which provides 22 watts per channel. I listen at moderate levels and the amp seemsto be more efficient than what is quoted on the website. Btw the Blue Man group track sounds great on these speakers. The are finished in african bosse pommele.

I would like to thank Jim and Dennis for providing a true audiophile speaker that is affordable to our community. Can you think of another speaker that provides the level of finish and component value that these speakers do?

Btw in total they cost me $5400au including speakers, shipping and local costs ($1100au).

Best wishes

Rod

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Salk Sound HT2's in da house!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 07:36:15 AM »
Great to hear that these are working for you, Rod! :)
I know it was likely a tough/risky decision but now that you have something that pleases your analytical ear with your musical (soulful) enjoyment, I think you'll be in a state of bliss for a while.  Of course, now you'll find other things that need upgrading... but that's the fun! ;) 

And what's this? No photos?   :shock:  Let's see 'em!

Congrats!

-Carl

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 04:35:23 AM »
Hi Carl,

I would post some pictures but I don't know how to.

I had a couple of friends over today and we swapped out a few amps whilst listening to the Salk's.
We also put the Nuforce s9 speakers but in the system but they didn't last long.  There is
a night/day difference between the speakers and the Ht2's are at least another level better.

Looks like I've got another preamp coming my way.  I've been lucky enough to get a very good
deal on an older Bel Canto pre1 preamplifier.

I also need to get some new cables and I'm considering blue jeans cable.  I am a cheap skate
in regard to cables.

Regards

Rod

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 03:25:26 PM »

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 04:42:05 AM »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 07:43:00 AM »
FYI... No need to use 'img' tags... You have to click on 'Additional options' below the text box and then attach the file.

carlman3

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 07:16:06 AM »
Rod, please try again.  I didn't realize I hadn't set the attachment option globally, it was only showing up for admins. My apologies.
-Carl

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 06:14:36 AM »
Hi Carl,

I hope this works.  My son helped me to reduce the size of the photograph.

Check out the different amps that I have.  I'm a nut aren't aren't I.  I also have
another amplifier getting fixed at the moment and I'll soon have a bel canto pre 1
that I purchased for a great price.  My nuforce s9's have been relegated to HT usage
only.

Regards

Rocket

[attachment deleted by admin based on 2 year limit]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 06:16:40 AM by Rocket »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 07:21:49 AM »
We're all nuts, but you're a cool nut Rod. I see Ampzilla lurking in the background   :mrgreen:

Your system looks awesome. Tell your wife she is very lucky to have such a nice looking audio system. ;)

Bigfish and I heard HT3 at RMAF and were mightily impressed. Great speaks! Congrats
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 09:11:52 AM »
Wow, those speakers look great, Rod... Very impressive!  =P~

The photo attachment is working, excellent.  :)

Would your wife allow for some room treatment?  Any plans for that already?  (sorry if I missed where you'd mentioned this in the past)

-C

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 07:22:43 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments.  Its taken a long time to get my system to this level and a lot of money.
These speakers are just what I needed in my system.  The nuforce s9 speakers are definitely
an audiophile component but I live higher up the tree i.e. used to better performing speakers.
As per my original post I really only replaced my war audio speakers because I was bored with them.
Unfortunately its taken 3 pairs of speakers get to back what I lost.

I had a good listening session last night and swapping the SOA and ps audio amps back
into my system.  I have to say since I rebiased the N.E.W.'s (they now operate at 42C)
it is more transparent than the others.  In comparison the other amps sound a bit hifi'ish.

Room treatment is definitely on the agenda.  I'd by some gik or 8th nerve products but shipping
is a killer to australia.  Any ideas?

Btw my wife, who never comments about any of my purchases, really likes the look of these
ones.

Regards

Rod