Author Topic: Pangea Powercords The real deal ?  (Read 63943 times)

Deton Nation

Re: Pangea Powercords The real deal ?
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2010, 02:55:07 PM »
Sorry.. I thought I was clear. I was talking about the Magic Cables.
M

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2010, 03:47:23 PM »
Sorry.. I thought I was clear. I was talking about the Magic Cables.
M

That was my very 1st power cord. I made it into an extension cord so iot wouldn't go to waste after replacing it with a much better VenHaus power cord. The only thing about that Magic Cable was it never had any magic whatsoever for me in my system IMHO.

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline Lissnr

• Seeking Help
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2010, 10:36:04 PM »
Hi Guys, Just thought I'd get back to you with some personal observations after my AC-9 finally got some hours on it (I have just passed 375).
 As I had previously posted, my initial impression was quite enthusiastic... so much so that I quickly ordered several more to fill out my remaining components. What I had noticed at first were characteristics quite consistent with Topround's , namely "Very open, dynamic, a black background and deep bass".To this I would add an impressive sense of space between instruments...
This is what 'caught my ear' so quickly and had me so excited.
Unfortunately, my experience also continued to agree with Topround's, as he states: "After about 50 to 100 hours it started to sound a little tipped up and a bit shrill at top". Let me add " A low level sense of haze or fine grain filling in the aforementioned 'blackness' ".
 He continues:"I went back to my old cable and was relieved of the offensive sound. I lost some air and slam and some bass, but the musicality was back". I agree here as well although when it comes to bass I wouldn't say I lost some, it just seemed to return to a more integrated, call it 'organic integration' with the rest of the frequency range such that it wasn't as pronounced/attention grabbing, and without the slight grain I had mentioned...
 After about 150 hours I decided to swap it from my transport into my DAC and see what I could tell. My first conclusion was that it was less 'influential' on my DAC... I had expected the opposite. In my mind, I had always figured the DAC should appreciate a digital (extra shielded/extra noise rejecting) cable more than a simple transport, but in my system, it was the other way... The DAC did not give me the instant benefits initially observed when the cable was new (why should it as it's now breaking in with less results?) but the sense of graininess was still hazing over the big picture and the richness I had been yearning for was continuing to digress.
 What to do now? I wasn't willing to completely give up on it yet, after-all, it IS a very thick cable and may very well require an especially long break-in before reaching its ultimate abilities.
So.... I slapped it onto my [always powered up] subwoofer and let it cook another 200+ hours.
 Which finally gets me up to today. At 150 hrs I wasn't even too impressed with it as a subwoofer cable... (and we all know that's not a good sign). While the grain was gone (my sub crosses over to my main speakers via an external electronic crossover and only receives a signal of 50Hz and below) it still did not sound as fluid, integrated or smooth as my other sub cable (remember "Company X"?) but it did have a certain 'slam factor' which I'll give it some credit for. As I reached the 300+ hour stage I'm thinking it has smoothed out somewhat more; I had needed to play with the sub volume levels at first to compensate for the differences between it and the 'company X' cable ('company X' was better integrated with the main system volume, the AC-9 was actually a bit 'drier' at first and even with the extra slam factor [when called upon], it still needed added volume to integrate properly) does that sound really odd?
 Anyway, it's still on my sub right now and I've turned the volume back down to where it belonged [with my 'company x' cable] and it's doing fine. If they were both the same price which would I choose for my sub cable? It's pretty much a toss-up at this point, but when you consider the value, the AC-9 would get the nod. What this has done is allow me to take the 'company x' cable that had sub duty (their big power amp compatible model) and substitute it into my pre-amp which had been using their slightly lighter gauge 'designed for pre-amps and smaller amplifiers' model cable (I love overkill when it comes to gauge size on PC's).
 As for the shipment on AC-9's which were headed my way: after all the experimenting with the one cable alone I felt I had a pretty good feel for what it was doing and when I considered the break in time and the less than ideal access behind my racks to some of these components, I decided to pay the local UPS store for the return shipping and sent the whole box of them straight back to AA. All done. Yes, I know, it would have been kind of exciting to dress an entire system in a brand new power cable (We all know how thick they are...) and see what happens but I just didn't think it was worth it, as described...
 Finally: might I try the AC-9 at some point (after a few more hundred hours or so) on my transport or DAC again, just to give it one more shot? I probably will... maybe it's a 500 hour cable?! It sure looks like if there were such an animal, this one would be it! But for now I will say it's doing a good job on my subwoofer and at its price, there's a lot to be said for that. All in all:YMMV but with extensive break in it makes a good value sub cable and worth checking out elsewhere in your system if you have the time and patience to experiment for yourself.
Happy Lissn'n

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2010, 05:48:46 AM »
Thorough and honest review. Thanks for taking the time.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2010, 07:55:09 AM »
Have one ordered. What the heck, should be fun and if my stereo doesn't like it my plasma might.

The Cherry I was borrowing in the past exhibited a big improvement going from el cheapo to a Black Sand Siver Ref MKV (sorry I "stole" a pair from you on an Agon auction, John  :thumb:). Tommy just could not believe it - The engineer in him was very perplexed by what he was hearing. (he he - that was fun to see!)

Maybe the Pangea will do things I'll like to the high power, linear PS Cherry Jr I now own.

-Mike

Offline satfrat

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2010, 10:42:39 AM »
I'll put up my $50 Audio Magic Extreme power cord against any of these bargain basement pretenders anyday, anytime, anywhere (if I'm there). :rofl:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Deton Nation

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2010, 04:06:45 PM »
You should try a Western Electric. Very nice!

Offline satfrat

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2010, 04:26:58 PM »
You should try a Western Electric. Very nice!

Well if it's the same Western Electric company of tube fame, then I'm all ears.

Now that would make for a good RAVE shootout,, power cords under $100's only. The only thing with that tho is that what really makes mine so great is a $300 Z-Sleeve Ultra that fits directly over the molded IEC.  8)

Is that cheating???  :shock:  :D

Cheer,
Robin

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2010, 06:29:15 AM »
 I just bought two 8ft 10GA. Western Electric NOS cords with Jet Oxaide copper plugs. With about 20 hours on them I am quite pleased with the results. My reference cord is the Omega Mikro active. I will do a comparison when the WE is broken in. So far though very very good results.
  The wire is a stranded Litz design which is annealed with "Permalloy". The plugs are tightened to 12 ft lbs of torque, polished, and coated with Progold. Ordered a Carbon nickel shield to try as well. We shall see.

PS  if interested in this PM Triode Pete. He is making up cords in a joint venture with John Weisner who built all th Dr. Loesch p[reamps and amps before Tempo Electric. $200 for 2 mtrs with Oxaide plugs.

charles
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 06:32:46 AM by rollo »
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

sdmark3d

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2011, 12:07:29 AM »
I too drank the koolaid when I saw the Pangea AC-9 and all the hype. Bought an AC-9 and an AC-14. When I first put it in my system (in which I had been using Synergistic Research A/C Master Couplers) the soundstage collapsed, imaging was vague, and that lasted all of 5 minutes. Now the A/C-9 is on my computer and the AC-14 is on a TV. I'll let them burn in a few hundred hours (or more) and bring them out to listen again but my initial impressions were not very good. Not a magic bullet anyway imho.

Mark

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2011, 06:33:28 AM »
I too drank the koolaid when I saw the Pangea AC-9 and all the hype. Bought an AC-9 and an AC-14. When I first put it in my system (in which I had been using Synergistic Research A/C Master Couplers) the soundstage collapsed, imaging was vague, and that lasted all of 5 minutes. Now the A/C-9 is on my computer and the AC-14 is on a TV. I'll let them burn in a few hundred hours (or more) and bring them out to listen again but my initial impressions were not very good. Not a magic bullet anyway imho.

Mark

The SignalCable Magic Power Cord and the Pangea AC-9 were my first forays into the aftermarket power cord world. While neither was perfect I felt that each one provided a significant upgrade over a stock cord (each of course in a different way) and that they were a good value for the money, both compared to a stock cord looking down and most other after market cords looking up (which may have had better performance, but also carried a much heftier price. Not that I am trying to say that anyone shouldn't buy a more expensive cord - price vs performance is always a personal decision.)

However all of that went out the window when I heard Triode Pete's cords. Others have compared them very favorably s to some big buck cords. I personally can only compare them to the Pangea and SignalCables and they just blew both of them away.

Check out the AN thread on Pete's cords:
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=2398.0

And his new web site:
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2011, 08:06:35 AM »
 We gots a winner here. Boy! The background is so quiet you can hear a grasshopper piss on the cotton. Yesum boys ya all plug em in ya hear.

charles

sdmark3d

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2011, 02:50:37 PM »
Already got an 8awg one from Pete on the way  :rofl: to feed a Majik Buss Rev B and I am checking my son's piggy bank to see if I can afford a pair of his 10awg for my amps!

Dave from PI Audio (mfr of Majik Buss) has already bestowed the highest accolade one cable manufacturer can give another and added Triode Pete to his (short) recommended list of power cord suppliers.

The Pangea is definitely an upgrade from a stock cable which is why I kept them instead of returning them as I could have. There may be a piece of gear that they just have synergy with - but they need lots of burn-in, to my ears anyway. In the bio for Jay Victor they mention he was "new products development manager for the most famous cable manufacturer in the world." Google reveals that company to be Monster Cable, although he has done some work for XLO and a few other quality guys. Monster Cable has never on my list of high end, quality power cords. (but I did use their power lines speaker cables way back when)