Author Topic: An Afternoon At The Crack House  (Read 280445 times)

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Re: An Afternoon At The Crack House
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2011, 01:08:13 PM »
You're a good dad.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2011, 04:45:16 PM »
You're a good dad.

Og course the downside is just like having a running partner helps you get out on the road on a more consistant basis, with two of us in the house we tend to egg reach other on when it comes to both software and hardware acquasitions.  8)  Good for the hobby  :D, bad for the budget.  :roll:

On the other hand it is always good to have someone else to help absorb the rath of "she who must be obeyed."  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

jsaliga

« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2011, 07:43:07 AM »
Brought in another haul of vintage classical LPs.

Beethoven Symphony No. 9 - Solti/Chicago Symphony - Decca SXL ffss wideband 1st UK Pressing
Dvorak Symphony No. 9 - Kertesz/London Symphony - Decca SXL ffss wideband 1st UK Pressing
Dvorak Serenade for Strings - Kubelik/Israel Philharmonic Orchestra - London ffss UK pressing
Beethoven Symphonies 1-9 - Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt/Vienna Philharmonic - Decca UK Narrowband Pressings
Carl Orff Carmina Burana - Eugen Jochum/Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra & Choir - 1963 1st DGG German Pressing
Hanson Symphony No. 2 - Howard Hanson/Eastman-Rochester Orchestra - Mercury Living Presence
Tchaikovsky Romeo & Juliet - Karajan/Vienna Philharmonic - London ffss UK Pressing
Ketelbey In a Monastery Garden - Sharpels/New Symphony Orchestra of London - London ffss UK Pressing
Handel Messiah - Adrian Boult/London Symphony Orchestra - London ffss UK Pressing
Britten War Requiem - Benjamin Britten/London Symphony Orchestra - Decca Holland Pressing
Brahms Symphony No. 1 - Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra - Columbia 6 Eye
Beethoven Symphony No. 6 - Bohm/Berlin Philharmoniker - DGG German Pressing
Complete Brahms String Quartets - Budapest String Quartet - Columbia 6 Eye
Dvorak Symphony No. 9 - Rodzinski/Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra of London - Westminster Hi-Fi
Brahms Violin Concerto - Reiner/Heifetz/Chicago Symphony - RCA Shaded Dog
Beethoven Triple Concerto - Karajan/Oistrakh/Rostropovich/Richter/BPO - EMI German Pressing
Bruckner Symphony No. 4 - Mehta/Los Angeles Philharmonic - London ffrr UK Pressing
Poulenc and Stravinsky Wind Works - Wind Quintet and Brass Octet of the Leningrad Philharmonic - Westminster Hi-Fi
Mozart Requiem Mass - Bruno Walter/Philadelphia Symphonic Orchestra/Westminster Choir - Columbia 6 Eye
Sibelius Violin Concerto - Beecham/Stern/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Columbia 6 Eye

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2011, 08:02:29 AM »
Have to wake my son, do an errand for my ex, then I may be off to meet Eleazar at the crack house, Crackie the vinyl dealer has posted he's gotten 15 cartons of classical vinyl in.

The heartless bastard, has he no shame?!? :(
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2011, 08:35:06 AM »
Have to wake my son, do an errand for my ex, then I may be off to meet Eleazar at the crack house, Crackie the vinyl dealer has posted he's gotten 15 cartons of classical vinyl in.

Why should he when he has the two of you.   :rofl:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2011, 08:37:14 AM »
Brought in another haul of vintage classical LPs.

Beethoven Symphony No. 9 - Solti/Chicago Symphony - Decca SXL ffss wideband 1st UK Pressing
Dvorak Symphony No. 9 - Kertesz/London Symphony - Decca SXL ffss wideband 1st UK Pressing
Dvorak Serenade for Strings - Kubelik/Israel Philharmonic Orchestra - London ffss UK pressing
Beethoven Symphonies 1-9 - Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt/Vienna Philharmonic - Decca UK Narrowband Pressings
Carl Orff Carmina Burana - Eugen Jochum/Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra & Choir - 1963 1st DGG German Pressing
Hanson Symphony No. 2 - Howard Hanson/Eastman-Rochester Orchestra - Mercury Living Presence
Tchaikovsky Romeo & Juliet - Karajan/Vienna Philharmonic - London ffss UK Pressing
Ketelbey In a Monastery Garden - Sharpels/New Symphony Orchestra of London - London ffss UK Pressing
Handel Messiah - Adrian Boult/London Symphony Orchestra - London ffss UK Pressing
Britten War Requiem - Benjamin Britten/London Symphony Orchestra - Decca Holland Pressing
Brahms Symphony No. 1 - Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra - Columbia 6 Eye
Beethoven Symphony No. 6 - Bohm/Berlin Philharmoniker - DGG German Pressing
Complete Brahms String Quartets - Budapest String Quartet - Columbia 6 Eye
Dvorak Symphony No. 9 - Rodzinski/Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra of London - Westminster Hi-Fi
Brahms Violin Concerto - Reiner/Heifetz/Chicago Symphony - RCA Shaded Dog
Beethoven Triple Concerto - Karajan/Oistrakh/Rostropovich/Richter/BPO - EMI German Pressing
Bruckner Symphony No. 4 - Mehta/Los Angeles Philharmonic - London ffrr UK Pressing
Poulenc and Stravinsky Wind Works - Wind Quintet and Brass Octet of the Leningrad Philharmonic - Westminster Hi-Fi
Mozart Requiem Mass - Bruno Walter/Philadelphia Symphonic Orchestra/Westminster Choir - Columbia 6 Eye
Sibelius Violin Concerto - Beecham/Stern/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Columbia 6 Eye

--Jerome

Nice stuff. I know what you'll be doing this weekend.  :thumb:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #156 on: April 30, 2011, 09:39:17 AM »
Probably a little later next week since I have several other titles to listen to ahead of these.  Fortunately I am taking the week off next week.  My only plans are to relax and listen to music.

--Jerome

Offline tmazz

« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2011, 09:41:38 AM »
Probably a little later next week since I have several other titles to listen to ahead of these.  Fortunately I am taking the week off next week.  My only plans are to relax and listen to music.

--Jerome

Cool!  :thumb:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2011, 08:40:11 AM »
Got my 1st full check at new job Friday, yea :D/, so drove up to crack house yesterday to meet Eleazar. Just want a clean Fleetwood Mac 'Rumours', and 2 jazz albums with Tina Brooks on them. Well, couldn't find either, and they wanted $25 for a shrinkwrapped Rumours, it was in the RSD releases, so I passed. Then, I spent 6 hours there, that's never good.

Plowed through 15 boxes of $1 classical, took about 150 lps/box sets, then 6 of the 8 Lee Morgans that Bill had set aside for me. And some more stuff. Urg! I really should have left sooner.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2011, 05:20:28 PM »
OK guys, here is my Crack House find of the week.

I was browsing through the record pile and came across this box set of Dorati and The Philharmonia Orchestra doing Haydn Symphonies 93 - 104.

It is a 6 LP set if British pressings from the London Stereo Treasury Series. The records themselves are pressed on heavy vinyl (It may not be 180g, but I would be willing to bet that it is at least 150.) The LPs are in beautiful shape and don't even show any spindle marks. I didn't see a price on it so I brought it up to the cashier who said if it wasn't individually marked she would  have to charge me the default record price of 69 cents.  :shock:  Not per LP but for the whole set.  :shock:  :drool:  :shock:

Needless to say, I bought it.  8)

Now maybe you guys can see why I feel the need to stop in 3 or 4 time a week just to check what's new.  :roll:

You gotta love this place.  :yay2:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2011, 05:27:53 PM »
You gotta love this place.  :yay2:

Does jealousy count?  :mrgreen:

Offline tmazz

« Reply #161 on: May 04, 2011, 03:07:18 PM »
OK guys, time for me to pick your brains. I picked up the LP at the Crack House over the weekend. Vladimir Ashenazy playing Chopin. Angel Records S 35648. The cover is a nice linen paper and the spine has a piece of red cloth wrapped around it (it is probably paper, buy it has a cloth texture and feel to it. The noted on the back of the cover are (C) 1959, so I would assume it is a late 50s recording, but I have no idea if the LP itself is the original release or a later reissue. Does anybody recognize the cover or label graphics and have any idea what vintage this LP is?

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #162 on: May 04, 2011, 03:09:47 PM »

So, the suspense is killing me, how did you make out?  :-&

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #163 on: May 04, 2011, 04:59:27 PM »
Read my last post, $320 poorer today.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #164 on: May 04, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »
TMAZZ -
I've collected a bunch of those Angels, I always assumed they were original, guess I'll have to pull some and check.

Edit: http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Angel_Records

Edit2: A clue, though the images of the labels are missing, at;
http://www.absolutemusik.com/portal/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=32
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:53:03 PM by etcarroll »