Author Topic: Vibrapods under speakers...???  (Read 8626 times)

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Vibrapods under speakers...???
« on: November 11, 2011, 07:48:35 AM »
I have heard of this suggestion quite a few times before, but haven't actually heard of anyone's firsthand experience with it.

Have any of you ever tried Vibrapods under your speakers and if so, please share your results.  Include the speaker brand/model, their style (bookshelf, floorstanders, etc...) and weight each if you can.  Also describe whether you've removed original spikes/footers to put them in place or whether you used a base in between and kept your original spikes/footers etc...

I realize there are two completely different opinions on what to put under your speakers and whether you should couple them to the floor (read: floor spikes etc...) or isolate them (read: sorbethane or some other "squishy" feet etc...) from the floor, but the use of Vibrapods is what I am most curious about.

I already hear all of you saying "you gotta try things out for yourself, in your system".  I know that!  And yes, there are a lot of variables here (besides the speakers) to contend with; like the surface flooring, sub-flooring and whether your listening room is on a concrete slab, a crawlspace or even on a second floor, etc... but, I want to know what has (or has not?) worked for you.

Thanks!
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Vibrapods under speakers...???
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 08:49:51 AM »
I am a believer in damping materials for vibe control rather than drainage methods. Damping efficiently converts motion to hear with squishy stuff like sorbothane. Drainage filters and modifies the vibes by adding and combining with the resonances of the support materials, then send the modified vibration back into the devices to change it's sound. I like the peaceful silence of damping better, but many people prefer the more lively sound of vibration filtering with resonant materials.

I have only read about vibrapods, that people don't really like them under smaller devices, but maybe that is because they are not loaded enough to work efficiently. They might work better under speakers because they are so big. Small sorbothane dots can take a lot of weight to be loaded correctly. Squishy materials might stick to or stain carpet over a long time.

A good friend of mine has been raving about herbies feet under his speakers. So I would try those first so if they didn't work then I would have somebody to chide.  :rofl:
http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm

These feet have intrigued me for a couple years, but he won't ship to US. Good article though. http://www.sonicdesign.se/sdfeet.html

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 09:03:59 AM »
Bill,

Check out the Herbie's link that Rich provided. About half way down the page they list a package of devices specifically for decoupling the upper and lower modules of Von Schweikert speakers.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 09:27:50 AM »
FWIW, I've tried a number of footers on my Aerial 10Ts which are on Sound Anchor stands.  For me, the use of BDR cones replacing the Sound Anchor spikes did a ton of good in tightening up the base.  These are placed on hardwood floors.

I've tried the Vibrapods designed for heavy load and, well, it just didn't do much for me but, of course, YMMV.  Others have had very good success with them.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:29:40 AM »
Bill, Check out the Herbie's link that Rich provided. About half way down the page they list a package of devices specifically for decoupling the upper and lower modules of Von Schweikert speakers.

Thanks, Rich, Tom & Mike

I'm aware of Herbie's V.S.A. package of dots between the modules, but haven't tried them yet. (Maybe someday?)

As far as the footers go, I actually have sets of Herbie's Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders under my stock Von Schweikert spikes on my VR-4 Gen.III's now.  I honestly didn't think they made a vast difference in how my VR-4's sounded to me when I first tried the gliders, but they certainly make moving 150+ lbs of (each) speaker across my tile floors a helluva lot easier!  :thumb:

Anyway, I guess, seeing a recent post on FB referring to the wonders of Vibrapods under speakers again, piqued my interest.  The odd thing about it is I have had many people say "oh yeah, Vibrapods under your speakers are the way to go", but have yet to find anyone who has actually tried it! :roll:
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 09:41:58 AM »
Well, FWIW, Anthony is using the Isolation model on his Reference designs by incorporating silicone sheets into the bottom of the speaker bases. I've heard the speakers with and with-out the silicone pads, and there is a significant improvement with their use.

As far as using a "Vibrapod" goes I haven't tried them, though there are all sorts of alternatives available that you can experiment with for a lower initial investment ;)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Sorbothane+isolation
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 09:48:20 AM by Barry (NJ) »
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 09:43:52 AM »
Here's a link to Black diamond who make carbon fiber spikes and such.  http://www.blackdiamondracing.net/

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 02:14:36 PM »
 They work extremely well with Vs speakers.I believe it was Sue Kraft who owned VS speakers that brought it to VS.
   There are several ways to skin te Cat as we have just read. Try the vibrapods from Music Direct. A 30 day money back guar. Can't go wrong for the price. Herbies stuff is very affective as well, just more mulla.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline chrisa

• Seeking Help
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »
I love em under my Soliloquy bookshelf speakers. Been using them for years after trying many interface methods and materials. For these monitors I like decoupling and the slightly phat'er bass that I get with the vibrapods. I also get great clarity and no blurring like I did get with blu-tac. Go figure on that one. I do not like absorbing the vibrations of the cabinet. I do get a little mid-range ringing, but the resulting sound is very lively at all volume levels. Running my SS amplification I have no trouble pressurizing my room with clean bass.

I could not get vibrapods to give satisfactory results under my floorstanding Soliloquys. Even with the stiffest 'pods the bass seemed sluggish.

I have several posts about my experiences on Audiogon (ssglx).

Chris

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 07:45:35 AM »
  Guys try using "Zorbex" atop the the big box then a piece of Corian, Granite or Maple with Vibrapods between speaker and plinth.
    Just be carefull about how far away the drivers are from each other. Consult your speaker Manf. for maximum distance between bass driver and Mid. Have fun trying.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.