Author Topic: what recent changes have you made to your system?  (Read 263 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
what recent changes have you made to your system?
« on: July 13, 2024, 10:17:38 PM »
An audiophool's work..... I mean an audiophile's work.... is never done. Within the last few months, I've added the terrific Holo Cyan2 dac, Hattor Big active preamp with New ClassD opamp and  TWL Pete's wonderful HP Digital American II power cord.
They replace a Border Patrol SEi dac, Supratek Chardonnay tube preamp and Audio Envy 3P power cord from the wall that was plugged into Dave's UberBUSS. The system now is quieter and resolves better without sounding lean. I am a big advocate of getting my system to be as quiet as possible. I enjoy the new information revealed from the original recording, the new layering and air in the soundstage.

I am on the Hapa Audio cable tour over at AC and will be receiving Jason's Aero cu and Aero ag polished interconnects soon. I previously auditioned Jason's Haiku version.....hand polished silver wire and connectors. They were very good...very revealing, airy, holographic. They were very pricey as Jason did all the polishing by hand. The latest version has polishing that is automated. To what extent, I don't know. So that will be quite interesting when I get those for review in a few weeks.

Have any of you changed or auditioned gear or cables? If so, pls give us the particulars.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Hattor Big preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Holo Cyan2 dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
Re: what recent changes have you made to your system?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2024, 12:16:21 PM »
Nick, glad to hear of success of your endeavors. Nice job finding what you needed.
Closer to the music is such a great feeling.  :D

Continued success my friend.

steve
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 12:18:39 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2024, 06:26:48 PM »
Thanks, Steve
Hattor Big preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Holo Cyan2 dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 12:00:15 PM »
I added a Musical Paradise MP-701 MK3 pre to my system. It replaced my trusty Audio Alchemy DLC/PS3. I listened to it stock for a couple of weeks and was very pleased. Nice soundstage, good detail. I don't think there was any improvement to the detail over my AA DLC, but it definitely add some of that magic tuby-ness to the soundstage, and more air and separation around/between the different sound sources in the recording. Swapped in a pair of NOS GE 12AU7 and it brought some more soundstage improvement. Enjoyed that for a few weeks and then swapped in some Mundorf Supreme EVO Oil coupling caps and again noted even more improvement to the soundstage. None of the changes were mind blowing, but they were definitely there. Very pleased with my new pre. Thinking of trying some 6SN7 tubes in place of the 12AU7s, have the adaptors, haven't picked up any 6SN7 tubes yet though...
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2024, 06:57:48 PM »
I added a Musical Paradise MP-701 MK3 pre to my system. It replaced my trusty Audio Alchemy DLC/PS3. I listened to it stock for a couple of weeks and was very pleased. Nice soundstage, good detail. I don't think there was any improvement to the detail over my AA DLC, but it definitely add some of that magic tuby-ness to the soundstage, and more air and separation around/between the different sound sources in the recording. Swapped in a pair of NOS GE 12AU7 and it brought some more soundstage improvement. Enjoyed that for a few weeks and then swapped in some Mundorf Supreme EVO Oil coupling caps and again noted even more improvement to the soundstage. None of the changes were mind blowing, but they were definitely there. Very pleased with my new pre. Thinking of trying some 6SN7 tubes in place of the 12AU7s, have the adaptors, haven't picked up any 6SN7 tubes yet though...

Hey Barry,
Good to hear from you. It's been a while. The AA goes back a ways. Was Dusty one of the guys at AA? I wasn't aware those tubes had similar enough characteristics to be able to be swapped out. I really like my 6ns7 Supratek pre, but the Hattor (aka Khozmo) with NewClassD opamp is very good and resolves a bit better. I'm fortunate to have those choices.
Hattor Big preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Holo Cyan2 dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS