Author Topic: Odyssey Monoblock Extreme SE comments (double sided circuit boards version)  (Read 16048 times)

LKdog

Here are a few comments on these amps that I have been breaking in recently.
I think there was some interest here on how they turned out.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=48911.0

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
Thanks for the update. If you had to do it again(the upgrade),would you? I ask this because I have a pair of se's with the redboards,nichon muse caps,,I think,,and the wbt binding posts. I don't mean to ask an unfair question,just wondering if the price to performance is what you expected. Thanks for your review,I'm on the fence at this point----george

Oops,, I just re-read your post,,you went from mono ex to the se version,,right?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 04:03:49 AM by dangerbird »

rosconey

i went from  extreme monos to ex monos-

to me it was well worth it -

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
i went from  extreme monos to ex monos-

to me it was well worth it -

I like your "sig",,, it's my work ethic/philisophy

rosconey

man it was early-
it was supposed to be from ex monos to se monos-lol :duh

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
that what I thought,, I purchased mine in spring of this year,,I'm driving a pair of Carver Amazings with them,, so far,I'm very pleased,,I think that I'm going to leave things as they are for the time being.Besides,, they are to heavy for my herniated disc anyway  :duh

LKdog

Thanks for the update. If you had to do it again(the upgrade),would you? I ask this because I have a pair of se's with the redboards,nichon muse caps,,I think,,and the wbt binding posts. I don't mean to ask an unfair question,just wondering if the price to performance is what you expected. Thanks for your review,I'm on the fence at this point----george

Oops,, I just re-read your post,,you went from mono ex to the se version,,right?

Correct. I went from regular Mono Extremes to this iteration of the SE.
My guess is your SE version has most everything in yours already except the boards might be different?
For me-the price to performance ratio was worth it. It just seems to have taken the sound to a level where you more often suspend disbelief.

Yeah, they are heavy!

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
I know it is different for each model re: price; however, it'd be nice to get a ballpark estimate before seeing whether it's worth it to call Klaus. If anyone would care to provide a $ figure of converting Extreme Monos to the current SE board config, that'd be dandy.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
I'm also wondering if Klaus will every make truly balanced amps; the SE's might be the place to start. :-k
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

rosconey

there are different levels of the se monos-

just give klaus a call

LKdog

Re: Odyssey Monoblock Extreme SE comments (double sided circuit boards version)
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
there are different levels of the se monos-

just give klaus a call

Agree. I think he has about three basic SE approaches he is offering these days.
Will build to suit your interests and budget it seems.

I think Klaus is not a fan of balanced circuitry-not sure why.

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
Here I go ,,again,,, my mono se's were built about a year ago,,does anyone have any knowledge regarding the most up to date version of the se's? I quit reading about them after the thicker redboard posts.I don't want to bother Klaus,, besides,, everytime I do,, I hang up a poorer man,as he is sucha great salesman. Any information and or advice is appreciated.
Thanks--george

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Hey George,Klaus called me last night and told me he was going to be in my neck of the woods in the near future and he wants to hook up with my daughter Courtney and myself and go out to dinner 8).I will find out what the latest and greatest mono SE version is all about when i see Klaus
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
Hay Bunky,,have a good dinner and a good time :)

Wolfman

Dangerbird-problem is,only Klaus can answer your question accurately because of the variance in each S.E. mod. There are many,many small differences depending on when you did it,and what Klaus thought would work best for each individual. There is no "standard" S.E.,at least previously,that may well change in the future.

Ex: My S.E.s were apparently one of the first with the original Red boards. I had Sonicaps,and apparently some Blackgates in there as well(which caused quite a reaction from K man, :D),glass fuses and no Nichicons. So my upgrade would obviously be quite different from yours.

I can tell you this,it's QUITE a difference,at least mine seems to be. Almost a different pair of amps. Not quite halfway through break in,but boy,there's quite a difference. Much,much stronger down low right now and the S.E.s were anything but weak.