Author Topic: letttts talk EVOOOOOO  (Read 2347 times)

Offline rpf

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: letttts talk EVOOOOOO
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2021, 11:46:23 AM »
So, is there a difference between Italian and Spanish or any of the other countries?
James: and a good bottle of wine eh.

Yes, as Dave said, different soils, climates, etc. all make a difference. I've haven't tried a lot of non-Italian olive oils but in general I've found Greek oils to have a very strong but simple, even coarse, taste and smell. Spanish oils also but to a lesser extent: they were more sophisticated than the Greek, but not up to the Italians in complexity. It may be, however, that I haven't tried the better and more expensive examples from those countries. The couple of California oils I've tried were bland. Olive trees, like wine grape vines, produce better quality as they age.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline Folsom

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2021, 05:11:32 PM »
I usually use Kirkland. You'd think it'd be cheap but it's one of the best there is... it tests 100%. When you taste it you can tell, it is peppery.

California brand is also high quality for general use, and not cut.

I'm very cautious to buy any from Italy because they're cut so often. Anything that doesn't have much flavor isn't pure olive oil. The cheap stuff at most grocery stores (especially with clear bottles) is lucky to have 13% actual olive oil in them.

In Italy there are raids every year for people cutting olive oil since it's so common and super illegal there... but in the US there are no requirements to specify amounts or other ingredients of oils.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2021, 10:27:34 PM »
I usually use Kirkland. You'd think it'd be cheap but it's one of the best there is... it tests 100%. When you taste it you can tell, it is peppery.

I'm very cautious to buy any from Italy because they're cut so often. Anything that doesn't have much flavor isn't pure olive oil. The cheap stuff at most grocery stores (especially with clear bottles) is lucky to have 13% actual olive oil in them.

In Italy there are raids every year for people cutting olive oil since it's so common and super illegal there... but in the US there are no requirements to specify amounts or other ingredients of oils.
Olive oil exports are sometimes a Sicilian mafia scambit.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rpf

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2021, 10:34:37 AM »

Olive oil exports are sometimes a Sicilian mafia scambit.

Or Camorra or N'Drangheta. Or from anywhere around the Mediterranean really as there have been scandals in all of the countries there.
So yes, stay away from the stuff in the clear bottles or those with generic names. I doubt there's an issue nowadays with the better known or more expensive ones: too easy to check and too much to lose in market share.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2021, 10:46:16 AM »
Here’s another choice. I have been using the Life Extension products for over 30 years and they are fanatical about quality. I read a number of the user reviews and they are very favorable as to quality and taste. Might be an option for some of you guys 🫒

https://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/item02008/california-estate-organic-extra-virgin-olive-oil
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2021, 01:29:26 PM »
Here is a link to a UC Davis study on extra virgin olive oil purity done in collaboration with
Australian Oils Research Laboratory in New South Wales. Here is link to a brief overview of
of the study. https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/most-imported-olive-oils-don%E2%80%99t-match-%E2%80%98extra-virgin%E2%80%99-claims-study-finds
Here is the link to the complete study and the results.
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf1007677
It is apparently very hard to get unadulterated real EVOO at the end of the day.
Scotty

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2021, 02:20:07 PM »
Here is a link to a UC Davis study on extra virgin olive oil purity done in collaboration with
Australian Oils Research Laboratory in New South Wales. Here is link to a brief overview of
of the study. https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/most-imported-olive-oils-don%E2%80%99t-match-%E2%80%98extra-virgin%E2%80%99-claims-study-finds
Here is the link to the complete study and the results.
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf1007677
It is apparently very hard to get unadulterated real EVOO at the end of the day.
Scotty

This is what can happen when you mess with the real Olive Oyl…

Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2021, 04:51:47 PM »
My apologies, the link to the pdf doc only goes to the abstract now. I was able to read it not long after it was first released. The full info is now behind a pay wall.
Scotty

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rpf

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2021, 07:25:34 AM »
Here's are links:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2016/09/30/its-extra-virgin-olive-oil-day-is-your-evoo-real-or-fake/?sh=639b59532a64

https://omigy.com/health/14-brands-fake-olive-oil-need-avoid/

https://newspunch.com/fake-olive-oil-study/

Some surprises there...

Definitely. I'm very surprised about Lucini, which tastes good. But they have a couple of different ones so maybe that makes a difference. * Not as surprised about the Whole Foods brand because of its bland taste, but would have thought Whole Foods would be more careful about what they put their label on. Not so surprised about some of the larger more generic brands. I guess I'm going to have to look more carefully and maybe spend more. Good information about the PDO and PGI designations for Italian olive oil. Bono has the latter.

* Edit: One of the links above shows Lucini failing, another shows it passing the EVOO tests.  :?:

2nd Edit: The Forbes article Dave linked to has some really good info and sources for EVOO. And they state that Whole Foods now sources its EVOO from a single estate in Sicily. Probably switched after earlier problems. It's made from 3 varieties of olives, however, and is still relatively bland tasting.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 08:46:23 AM by rpf »

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2021, 11:59:17 AM »
Here's are links:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2016/09/30/its-extra-virgin-olive-oil-day-is-your-evoo-real-or-fake/?sh=639b59532a64

https://omigy.com/health/14-brands-fake-olive-oil-need-avoid/

https://newspunch.com/fake-olive-oil-study/

Some surprises there...

Definitely. I'm very surprised about Lucini, which tastes good. But they have a couple of different ones so maybe that makes a difference. * Not as surprised about the Whole Foods brand because of its bland taste, but would have thought Whole Foods would be more careful about what they put their label on. Not so surprised about some of the larger more generic brands. I guess I'm going to have to look more carefully and maybe spend more. Good information about the PDO and PGI designations for Italian olive oil. Bono has the latter.

* Edit: One of the links above shows Lucini failing, another shows it passing the EVOO tests.  :?:

2nd Edit: The Forbes article Dave linked to has some really good info and sources for EVOO. And they state that Whole Foods now sources its EVOO from a single estate in Sicily. Probably switched after earlier problems. It's made from 3 varieties of olives, however, and is still relatively bland tasting.
And the world just keeps on turning, changing and getting weirder.

The one olive oil that I have used forever is the Kirkland Organic.  It is very consistent and works well for marinades and just general use day to day.  That and it is a helluva deal.  I get the different oils form the same vendor ratings differences.  The Kirkland regular olive oil is mediocre and their medeterranian oil mix is downright yucky.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2021, 12:30:30 PM »
  For our everyday EVOO Sparta Gourmet from Greece. For special drizzling Segreto For us does not get better just different. Make some Linquini with Garlic and EVOO and use the Segreto and lots of Romano grating cheese, oh my !!!

charles
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 01:51:55 PM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline James Edward

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2021, 01:51:47 PM »
  For our everyday EVOO Sparta Gourmet from Greece. For special drizzling San Greto. For us does not get better just different. Make some Linquini with Garlic and EVOO and use the San Greto and lots of Romano grating cheese, oh my !!!

charles

Unless Charles gave me a bum steer, he meant to write ‘Segreto’, not San Greto. I have been enjoying a bottle of this since he recommended it.

https://supermarketitaly.com/products/frantoi-cutrera-segreto-extra-virgin-olive-oil-d-o-p-750-ml
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2021, 03:03:40 PM »
  For our everyday EVOO Sparta Gourmet from Greece. For special drizzling San Greto. For us does not get better just different. Make some Linquini with Garlic and EVOO and use the San Greto and lots of Romano grating cheese, oh my !!!

charles

Unless Charles gave me a bum steer, he meant to write ‘Segreto’, not San Greto. I have been enjoying a bottle of this since he recommended it.

https://supermarketitaly.com/products/frantoi-cutrera-segreto-extra-virgin-olive-oil-d-o-p-750-ml

That's it! It's very good!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2021, 01:50:21 PM »

charles

THANK YOU Jim. I am losing it lately. Segreto it is.  :duh

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.