Author Topic: jps superconductor 3 ic's for usher BE10's  (Read 11029 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: jps superconductor 3 ic's for usher BE10's
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 04:32:26 PM »
Hi TonY!! Glad to hear about the new speaks. I think I heard those at Axpona ATL. Did you hear them there?

lucci, because the Be20 has two woofers and the Be10 only has one (of the same woofer,) the woofer impedance will be different. The woofer impedance is the most critical design parameter of the woofer low pass filter so that's why the GR Be20 crossover can't just drop into a Be10. Also, the distance between the woofer and midrange drivers is different. With crossover up at 600Hz that distance is something the crossover designer would want to consider.

lucci

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 11:03:51 PM »
Sounds good Tony, the Rosso Fiorentino Siena's (Italian, must be great:) are incredible looking speakers. I am sure they sound as such. Talk about a system that has evolved! Did you have the JPS cables when you had the BE20's? How was the sound if you did?

Rich, I found that Exemplar uses Auri Caps(slightly warm with bloom, slightly forward midrange sound, not the last word for resolution but good) I believe he builds them to Ushers spec but with his parts.
I talked to Danny at GR today (man he know his stuff!!) and he said that he will build the XO's to ushers spec with his parts which is Soni Caps(smooth rich sound with more resolution and detail than the Auri Caps. Dan said that it will be much better than the stock XO's but not as good as if he had my speaker to test and tune. Man I am so tempted to just send him one of my speakers...but I have to draw the line somewhere. I do not know the inductors or coils they both use. Rich, knowing crossovers, which overall cap do you think would be a better fit?         So many directions to go!
                                                     Steve Lucchini

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 05:29:21 AM »
       Rich, I found that Exemplar uses Auri Caps(slightly warm with bloom, slightly forward midrange sound, not the last word for resolution but good) I believe he builds them to Ushers spec but with his parts.
Possibly, but that would be pretty sad. It sounded like bigger changes that just parts quality, but it was still similar sound, not a whole new speaker. Call them to discuss the changes.  I think the GR Be20 upgrade is a large change and probably sounds like a different speaker.

I talked to Danny at GR today (man he know his stuff!!) and he said that he will build the XO's to ushers spec with his parts which is Soni Caps(smooth rich sound with more resolution and detail than the Auri Caps. Dan said that it will be much better than the stock XO's but not as good as if he had my speaker to test and tune. Man I am so tempted to just send him one of my speakers...but I have to draw the line somewhere. I do not know the inductors or coils they both use. Rich, knowing crossovers, which overall cap do you think would be a better fit?         So many directions to go!
                                                     Steve Lucchini

I haven't used either of those caps, Auricap or Sonicap. I use Jantzen Superior Z caps and like them very much.

I use Erse 14ga coils and they are good. GR is Erse dealer. I would use an even larger gage coil on the woofer, you can talk  to Danny about this.

Danny would use his existing upgrade design for Be20 on the upper drivers, but would need to measure and test the new design for the Be10 woofer. The crossover frequencies are changed, and the dispersion is vastly improved. If he can do the upgrade for 1000 plus shipping costs < $1000 then it might be worth it when compared to Exemplar price. He can probably help you get a good shipping price.

Tdangelo

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 11:33:01 AM »
Hi TonY!! Glad to hear about the new speaks. I think I heard those at Axpona ATL. Did you hear them there?

Hi Rich, yes I heard them in Atlanta and Jacksonville. I really liked them in Jax but thought Atlanta sounded better - much bigger room in Atlanta.  They were being powered with the AMR amps so I bought 2 of those and run them in vertical biwire configuration. The amps can be used as integrated with remote volume so it's kinda like the ASR I had.

Tdangelo

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 11:37:54 AM »
Sounds good Tony, the Rosso Fiorentino Siena's (Italian, must be great:) are incredible looking speakers. I am sure they sound as such. Talk about a system that has evolved! Did you have the JPS cables when you had the BE20's? How was the sound if you did?

I did use the JPS cables with the 20's and thought it sounded great. I had 3-4 other brands before the JPS(Harmonic Tech Pro9 Ref SE, Pure Note Designer, MIT .. forget the others).  The JPS sounded best to me. I had the Aluminata RCA IC at the time. The sound was what you would expect at that price level - very neutral and balanced with lots of detail and a very quiet background. I think you would like them  :)

lucci

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 09:12:35 PM »
Thanks guys for chiming in with all your thoughts. It helps me look at the good and the bad of the upgrades. Even though its heavy on the wallet, this hobby is a lot of fun.😄 I will give you my results after I take delivery of the JPS ic's. In the meantime I need to figure out the Xover route I will take, if I do go that route that is. I wonder what power cords I should go with......

Steve